Your question

Confused about my motherboard chassis fan connectors and fan speed control

Tags:
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 19, 2014 7:06:15 PM

I am in the process of building my first pc and ordering parts. While studying my motherboard I became seriously confused.

I have the Corsair 650D case and the ASRock Z97 Extreme4 mobo.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4529/corsair-obsidian-650...
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme4/?cat=Spec...

The 650D has a 200mm intake fan in the front and a 120mm exhaust fan in the back. I replaced a 200mm exhaust fan that was at the top of the case with 2x120mm fans. All 4 of these fans have 3-pin connectors.
The Z97 mobo has a 4-pin chassis fan connector (CHA-FAN1) on the right side of the board (toward the front of the case) and two 3-pin chassis fan connectors (CHA-FAN2) and (CHA-FAN3)
on the left side of the board (toward the back of the case).
The case itself has a 4 fan controller built in to it. (with 3-pin connectors)

After reading the mobo manual I understand I can control fan speed in UEFI (I haven't gotten that far since I don't have all the components yet) and even then I don't know what the settings should be. (I'm a newbie)

Question 1: What is the best way to hook the 4 fans up? (connected to psu? fan controller? mobo (using splitters)? or a combination of the 3?)
Question 2: Is a 200mm fan better on top of the case than the 2x120mm fans?

I understand there is no such thing as a 200mm PWM fan from the reading I've done

Thank you for any suggestions :) 

More about : confused motherboard chassis fan connectors fan speed control

a c 1192 V Motherboard
July 19, 2014 8:08:32 PM

Different people will have different opinions on connecting the fans to the MB or fan controller. I like to use the fan controller if possible. That way I can more easily control the fans' speeds for air flow and noise. But why did you trade the 200mm top fan for 2 x 120mm? The 200mm will be much quieter than the 2 x 120mm fans, and produce at least as much air flow at the same Db level.
July 19, 2014 8:23:05 PM

clutchc said:
Different people will have different opinions on connecting the fans to the MB or fan controller. I like to use the fan controller if possible. That way I can more easily control the fans' speeds for air flow and noise. But why did you trade the 200mm top fan for 2 x 120mm? The 200mm will be much quieter than the 2 x 120mm fans, and produce at least as much air flow at the same Db level.

I had 2 extra 120mm LED fans that I wasn't using....