software and hardware requirements to support three monitors?

Beanxx

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I would like advice on how best to connect my computer to three monitors, extending my desktop across all three, and somtimes just two with the third echoing. Hardware and software specs in full question.

Beanxx

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
This is my full question:
Dear folks--
I have a Dell XPS 8700 with an Nvida GeForce GE 653 graphics card with 1 GB DDR3 and 24 GB of RAM. Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I have a home office and for work do a lot of statistical analysis on large data sets, mainly Census files and other Federal survey data, using the R language and Rstudio, (hence the ram). o I also normally have one to three hundred tabs open – a mix of documents, spreadsheets, web pages, etc., probably more web pages than anything else.

My monitor is dying, but I have a couple of old ones and I just bought a new one, all with DVI, all 1080p native resolution. I would like to be able to switch back and forth between a desktop extended over all three monitors and a desktop extended over two monitors with the third echoing the first or second.

The computer has two DisplayPort, one DVI-D dual link port, and a VGA port.It is supposed to have an HDMI port, but it is sealed shut. Also USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports.

So, my questions:
Will this system as-is support three monitors?
What ports should I use?
Do I need any splitters or adapters or other hardware?
Do I need any additional software?

kelix09

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
What exactly do you need to connect these 3 monitors? Do you need to control all internet and PC activities, time tracking and make screenshots? You can check out WorkExaminer software to solve your problem.