Can i get arrested for a laptop I have worked and not received payment

drgnphenix

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Hi. I have a question about a laptop I have worked on for some one. I had worked on it and did everything they wanted me to do and they refuse to pay me for the job. So I told them I would not give it back to em till I received payment. They told me they were going to the police to make a report that it was stolen. Could I get arrested for it. Even though I did not steal it. And i have made an invoice for doing the job.

StirB

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
I have done this before, I do a lot of freelance work and I do NOT return the laptop unless they pay me. I have had them get angry because they insist on paying me half or come back tomorrow, but rules are rules and ive been burned before on this. I have not had anyone call police on me, but if your a stand up guy the police are not just going to come and arrest you without talking to you. Explain your case and see what happens, worst case you have to return the laptop if you didn't have a contract or something. Most people don't want to go through all the drama and hassle with the police and then running the risk of getting in trouble for lying. Maybe you have some phone records or texts regarding this topic?

kenghtt

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

I agree with StirB. Cops are cops and they will arrest if you done something wrong, but in this case, you havn't done anything wrong. Just explain the situation and I am 100% sure you will win your case :)

drgnphenix

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Thank you all for the advice and I am in The U.S.A and i have an invoice made up. i just want to be on the safe side is all. The one thing is I don't have text or phone calls saved but I have been to there house also working on another laptop of theirs. I am on camera there cause I put the system in myself. But they had brought me this laptop and wanted me to make sure it was going to be good to go online and not really be 100% at risk of viruses and such.

TomHardy

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
You did right drgnphenix. If people don't pay you on your efforts then you have all the right to do this. and i am sure police will not arrest you but they will arrest those culprits

drgnphenix

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Thank you everyone who has given so much needed advice. I still have not herd from the police or the customer over this laptop. I just don't know which one of you has the best answer cause everyone of em seem to be the best answer and I will post back If something changes. Thank you all very much.

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

We need to look out for each other :)
If it helps in my situation I returned the laptop since I didn't want to go in further conflict and was tired of the pestering, however since the work was all software based I removed everything I've done so it was returned in it's original state. If they don't pay it's only fare to remove the work you done. If it was a component for example just return it to them as they gave it to you.