Some guidance with a complete build please?

Brooklyngirl

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
I put this in another forum, but the forum appears more active.

Hi, I’m a complete newbie when it comes to computer building. I’m relying on youtube videos, and computer based communities like this to help me. I guess I could just buy a pc, but I think building one will be a lot of fun. A little scary, but fun. I feel confident I can do it, but would love help deciding on parts.

I’m gonna be doing a lot of video editing and would love for it not to take hours. Also plan on doing some gaming. Though the main use will be for editing, streaming videos, and movie/tv watching. I was going to hold out until November for black Friday deals, but I have a birthday coming up in August so I figured I’d take advantage of that, and create a wish list for my family. After doing some research this is the parts list I put together.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Amazon)

-Maybe a little overkill but I like the way it looks. Also looks a lot easier to install then the air coolers.

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ NCIX US)

-This seems to be the Z97 motherboard with the best reviews?

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($174.98 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($174.98 @ NCIX US)

-Like I said, doing video editing, and thought I just go for 32gb

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Already own. Just going to take it from my current computer, and re-use it

Storage: Seagate 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)

-Um, no real reason. So many hard drives to choose from.

Case: Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ NCIX US)

-I just think it's a beautiful case. Also the videos I'm using to help me build are using this case.

Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Amazon)

-Um, no real reason. So many power supplies to choose from. Just thought I'd go with corsair.

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($47.99 @ Micro Center)-

-For watching blu rays, software installs, and buring. Which I'm one of the few people who still does. This just appears to be the cheapest.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ OutletPC)

-I'm sure if I look good enough I'll find it for cheaper.

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.98 @ OutletPC)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.98 @ OutletPC)

-I just like the customize rings. Replacing the back fan of the case with one for exhaust, and moving a hard drive cage and putting a fan in it's place as an intake.

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.41 @ OutletPC)

-Again I like the customize rings. Replacing the fans that come with the H105, and using these instead. I'll have them as exhaust.

So the 2 fans in the front & a fan where the hard drive cage was as intake fans. The fan at the back and the h105 fans as exhaust. That's right, right?

Case Accessory: NZXT Hue LED Controller ($28.04 @ Amazon)

-I want a good performing pc, but I also want one that looks good. The case has a nice window, and I think lights would look nice.

Rosewill 2-Port USB 3.0 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub eSATA Multi-In-1 Internal Card Reader with USB 3.0 Connector ($29.99)

Keyboard- Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Fully Mechanical Gaming Keyboard( When it comes out)

Mouse (undecided)

Video card????????

Monitor??????????

Speakers??????

Total: $1,774.27

Does what I have so far look good? Any changes you guys think I should make? I need help filling in the video card, speakers, and monitor. I'm not so sure about the budget. I'm gonna make a birthday wish list and be completely grateful with what I get. I'll buy the rest myself. Let's put the hypothetical budget in the $2,000-,2,500 range. If I could get away with spending less then that great also. I want this computer to last. I just want to thank anyone who reads this, and offers any recommendations.