How does this build stack up against other gaming builds?

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
Hello

I am completely new to this. So I am very sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, or if I am asking some annoying noob question. I recently build my first gaming PC. So far I am really happy with it. I have played games like COD ghosts, and Battlefield 4, and have got a steady 60fps on high settings. But I don't know how this build stacks up against other gaming pc's. Would anyone give me their input on this build. I picked up most of the parts from a local computer store having a goin out of business sale. The RAM, and GPU I picked up from craigslist off of a guy that lost interest in his build (both items were brand new, and the boxes were never opened). So hopefully I didn't over pay to badly on this build. The specs and what I paid are:

AMD A8-6600K APU(65.00)
GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H MOBO (35.00)
EVGA GTX 750 TI GPU (90.00)
CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO DDR3 2400 (110.00)
CORSAIR CX600 600 WATT PSU (50.00)
WINDOWS 8 (85.00)

I've got about $480.00 in this build. Feel free to tell me what I did right, what I did wrong, and what I should have done different. Don't be to harsh :)

It's not too bad, but not too good either. Get a Core i3 or i5, which has 22nm architecture vs AMD 32 nm architecture. Consider a R9 280 or 290 if you mine cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Litecoin, etc). Save $$$ and get cheaper RAM. The rest is pretty good.

The prioblem is you bought a CPU with built in graphics card and then don't use it by using a separate video card. At the least, if you are going to do that, you get a video card that can work with the one built into the CPU for a crossfire scenario. Those APU chips, the CPU part themselves isn't the best. They are a good all-in-one chip, make great home theatre systems, but not the best for any decent gaming.

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014

Everything I read before purchasing the gtx 750 ti said that it is better to go with a decent single card, rather then try to crossfire 2 low grade cards. I didnt have enough money in my budget to drop $300.00 or more on a high end card. And from everything I've read the 750 ti is a pretty solid card. I also only paid $65.00 for the A8-6600K. So I figured for that price I couldn't go wrong. But can you tell me what card will crossfire the best with the 8570D chip, and will I really see that much of a preformance increase? Also all the bench test's I looked at showed that for the extra money. I wouldn't get that much of a preformance increase going with a late I3, or early I5.

If you absolutely want to get an APU, get a R9 270 or 280, 290 if you have the $$$.

If this is built and it's done, well, it's done. You should have asked sooner. You asked for an opinion and I gave it. Yes, the 750ti is an OK card. It's a $130 card, it won't compete with a $700 card no matter what. It's cheap and it's ok. The CPU is weak. It's a compromise of a CPU and GPU, so you paid for a GPU that you aren't using, that's why I said it's a waste. The chips don't run as fast or good as a normal CPU because they have a GPU in them. Corners have to be cut.

Next time you want to buy a PC, ask here first with a budget and we will be able to give a better build. For now, you'll have to deal with it. IT's not total crap or anything, but for the money, you could have done better was my point.

Actually, even a 2 generation old i5 is a HUGE step up from your APU in CPU performance.

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
Thanks getochkn thats what I was wanting to know. So the general consensus is that this build is somewhat ok, and even at the discounted price I paid for everything I could have put together a lot better system (I'm glad I didnt pay retail price for everything. That would have made this a $600-700 build). So on the same budget of about $450 what build would you guys have put together and how much better would it be then mine? Also I would still like to know what card would crossfire the best with this apu, and would I get a moderate, to substantial preformance increase (as oppossed to just running the 750 ti with the a8-6600k)?

No you have the 750ti, it's good for now and a crossfire with the 6600k won't help much.

I would went this chip http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849.html $10 more than you paid and on par with I7's in games that don't use more than a couple of cores, and even do good against them in games that do like BF4. A system built around that chip, even with a 750ti would probably do better in most things.

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
Wow... I never would have guessed that a pentium processor would be that good!!! I do have another question... Considering all I'm worried about is gaming. With this build I'm getting 70-80 fps on single player, and a solid 60 fps online (according to FRAPS) on high settings in games like call of duty ghosts, and battlefielf 4. So my question is unless you have something showing you what your frame rates are, really to the naked eye 60 fps looks the same as 80 fps... So what benefit is there (other then the bragging rights) to build a really high dollar machine for gaming when really from a strickly playability stand point you don't see much difference?

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
I see your point. I downloaded watch dogs, and frycry 3 from steam last night. My fps on medium settings were better then you guys projected. Watch dogs on medium I maintained a low to mid 50's frame rate. Medium on farcry I stayed in the upper 40's. But on high setting I was below 30 fps for both games.