Basic GPU Advice needed

Mobomonkey

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
I'm currently researching GPU's to upgrade my rig. I have a GTX295 and want to replace it with something more current but largely to be DX11 compliant, so I can play Crysis 3, which is presently the only game I have that requires it.
Just on my favourite component web site (CCL Online) they offer 206 cards that are DX11 compliant! There's a huge range therein, in both price and performance.
Right off, I'm on a tight budget, so we can scotch all the super duper stuff at £200+, so that narrows the field somewhat. Also, it seems to me that maybe quite a lot of contemporary GPU design is geared toward 3D gaming. I'm not greatly interested in 3D gaming, so we needn't worry about handling all that. I'm feeling like staying with the Nvidia family, but I'm confused as to the Nvidia GeForce name, as there are various cards of that name, but made by different companies it seems (PALIT ,EVGA, ASUS etc) at quite different prices for the same GTX number.
In case bottle necking is an issue, Rig spec, ASRock B85M Pro4 Mobo, Intel core i3-4130 CPU, G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb RAM, W7 64bit OS on a Seagate 300Gb HDD (tho I'm looking at replacing with SSD)
Finally, I've read that Microsoft are planning a DX12, but that it's going to be retrofit capable.
I mention it in case that has any bearing on future proofing.
So, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

DroneDroneDrone

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
http://www.cclonline.com/product/130468/02G-P4-2765-KR/Graphics-Cards/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-760-Superclocked-2GB-Graphics-Card-PCI-E-DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort-with-ACX-Cooler/VGA2026/
Would recommend this one. Not a lot of difference between the brands. Some have better cooler, quality, customer support etc. Would go with EVGA. Best customer supper out there and they make quality products. They even put a nice acx cooler in this one.

KyleADunn

Honorable
Hello,

The GPU I've seen paired with your processor more so than any other, and that is of the NVIDIA family, is the GTX 660. It's been rebranded as the 760, so which one you choose is up to you. The 660 is about $150-$160, and the 760 some more than that.

Mobomonkey

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Thanks for the link Drone. That model seems to have quite a few features I don't need or want especially, so I could be buying more than I require, which on a tight budget isn't wise. I should have mentioned that I'm fine with one monitor too.

DroneDroneDrone

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
A 660 like Kyle has suggested should so for you then. Can't look up specs right now because I'm on my phone. 660 should be cheaper and still have what you're looking for.

Mobomonkey

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Thanks Kyle. When I first started looking to replace my GPU I hit on the 660 straight out, and we're probably right to give it serious consideration. I'm in the UK btw, but CCL have a Palit 660 at a very reasonable price that is tempting me right now. I'm kinda hoping for some more feedback on the various brand names and their worth/reputation. Often in purchasing, it's not always wise to just get the cheapest brand, but also you can end up just paying extra for the name. Didn't know about the re-brand, so I will check 760's too.

Mobomonkey

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Thanks Drone. Sadly they're about £50 ($85) more for the same spec card. They do a GTX 650 Ti 1Gb and a GTX 650 2Gb card for around the same money, but I guess they're a whole different pack of pixels. :)

DroneDroneDrone

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Ok. Might want to do a bit of research on the brand you'll be choosing. I just recommended EVGA because that is what they are know for, quality products and great customer service. I don't know much about Palit. I don't think they sell here in the US. But if they have a good rep then go ahead and buy from them :)