A+ Certification Study Guides

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hey, Y'all! I need your feedback.

I'm looking to take the A+ Certification exams before the end of the year, and was hoping some of you have experience enough to guide me to a great study guide. I've been watching "Professor Messer" videos on Youtube which cover basically everything you need to know and they are helpful. However, there is no "instruction" contained in those videos.

I need to work on my TCP/IP. I'm more of a hardware guy than a software guy, so when it comes to setting up networks or working with Active Directory, I kinda get lost.

I have no formal education in the IT field, and only a little less than a year's worth of experience as a sales manager/lab assistant at a computer store. I've worked (as a hobby) with computers for about 10 years now and am comfortable troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing them. However, there are some things I'm not so familiar with - such as TCP/IP.

Anyway, can anyone point me in the right direction as far as study guides/prep training/crash courses that are geared toward the A+ exam? The videos, like I said, help a lot with refreshing exactly what might be on the exam, but don't really offer much in the way of teaching.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for whatever insight you may have on the subject.

From what I've heard the A+ exam has been modified in recent years to put more emphasis on practical work and professionalism. It's much harder to crash study for, work experience will definitely be the best aid. I also don't believe that it involves much enterprise content; while TCP/IP fundamentals may certainly be covered, Active Directory is more likely to be covered under Net+ rather than A+

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I realize that this isn't something you can dump memorize. I'm way beyond that. I just don't use all that is covered in the exam on a daily basis and would like to go through a little crash course as a reminder of the exact steps I should be taking, as opposed to saying, "Yea, I can do that, give me an hour and I'll figure it out."

I forgot to mention, that I was going to take a couple of 8 weeks classes at the local community college just as prep work for the exam so that there was no doubt in my mind that I would pass with flying colors. However, the tuition fees, lab fees, textbook, etc. all worked out to over $1250 and that's not included the cost of the actual exams. Needless to say, I don't have that kind of money. So, I'm looking for free alternatives.

While my job title doesn't show it, I'm basically a technician here and constantly have to remove the heads of my coworkers from their behinds to show them how it's done. So, it's not something I just decided to do on a whim. I practice this stuff every day, but want a good crash course to keep me on the up and up.

Like I mentioned, though, I'm not fully schooled in all the areas that this test covers. Mostly TCP/IP but there are others, too. The history of the hardware, the operating system limitations and capabilities and all that junk I'm good with. I know what a parallel port looks like, lol.