60hz or 120hz for my build..can my build do over 60fps?

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
please have a look at my build and tell me if it is worth spending on a 120/144hz monitor over a 60hz monitor?
will my build be able to do more than 60fps to make a noticeable difference?

CPU-i5 4670K OVERCLOCKED
MoBo-MSI Z87 G45 GAMING
GPU-NVIDIA GTX 770 MSI TWINFROZER
RAM-CORSAIR VENGEANCE 4*2GB
HDD-SEAGATE 1TB
PSU-CORSAIR GS700

Solution

If you plan on playing slightly older games and would like them to look a little smoother/more aesthetically pleasing, YES. If you are planning on playing the latest and greatest at high settings, don't bother; as you will most likely not be achieving the FPS needed to take advantage of the refresh rate. If you have some current games that you plan on putting some time into, just find out...
Your build would need more gpu power to get into the 120 fps+. At least a r9 290 or GTX 780. Is it a noticeable difference? yes. You would get information faster and the game will seem much "smoother". The downside is that it will be a TN panel which is a step down from IPS if that's what your 60 HZ screen currently is.

EthanG

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

If you plan on playing slightly older games and would like them to look a little smoother/more aesthetically pleasing, YES. If you are planning on playing the latest and greatest at high settings, don't bother; as you will most likely not be achieving the FPS needed to take advantage of the refresh rate. If you have some current games that you plan on putting some time into, just find out the FPS for yourself. Anything less than ~100 fps and the noticeable gain would be negligible. I'm confused on whether or not you are buying this build or are using it. If you are buying, just search 770 GTX benchmarks. If you already own it, just check your FPS in game with console commands or FRAPS.

Solution
I would NOT bother with a 120Hz monitor.

60Hz/60FPS is very smooth for gaming. Plus, if you use VSYNC on to avoid screen tearing you'd need to maintain above 120FPS otherwise you're back down to 60FPS anyway.

There's also a big difference in PRICE. It's at least another $100 for a comparable quality screen at 120Hz.

This ASUS monitor is $130 after MIR: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs238hp

I recommend 2ms or less for the response time. 22" or 23", and make sure the CUSTOMER COMMENTS are good. This one has 4.7/5 average out of 72 people.

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

i dont already own this build...im going to buy it
and i plan on playing latest games mostly

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

if i have to go with a 60hz
ive chosen the BenQ RL2455HM
how do you like this one?