Asus Releases its ROG Maximus VII Formula Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question: can someone explain the point of the "thermal armor" to me? It looks like a good way to trap heat from the board so it can cook itself. If you're worried about waste heat from a GPU heating up the mboard, why not just restrict the "armor" to the PCIe slots?

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
Honest question: can someone explain the point of the "thermal armor" to me? It looks like a good way to trap heat from the board so it can cook itself. If you're worried about waste heat from a GPU heating up the mboard, why not just restrict the "armor" to the PCIe slots?

To look awesome :D

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hideous motherboard and sure to cause compatibility issues with a number of cooling/mounting options.

Also, really sick of the trend of red and black for flagship products.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

So, you want to rename the Formula (which was officially the most popular motherboard in 2013) 'Extreme' and pretend that the actual Extreme never exsisted?

Or, they could do what they did. Keep everything the same and scrap the Extreme.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
According to ASUS site, this protects the motherboard from heat originated on graphic cards.

It is pretty much only for looks... and it does in fact look pretty awesome. The marketing is that it prevents super hot air from being blown directly on the motherboard, but this is really a non-issue as the air from the GPU is going to be under (typically well under) 80*c and most motherboard components can operate just fine at 80-100*c if needed.
Some of the older thermal armor designs made more sense as they would have a fresh air intake in a cooler part of the board which would create positive pressure to prevent hot GPU air from coming in. This design works very well but requires a small noisy fan to be used which is a big turn-off. Now the thermal armor is pretty much just a decorative dust cover, but even with that kind of use there is a huge market for people who have case windows. Heck, it looks so good that even I am tempted to pick one up even though I don't have a case window.

That's kind of my take ( though I'm indifferent about the looks. ) If you've got a proper intake fan blowing across the board ( something you should already be using anyway, ) what kind of crazy GPU would you have to be running that dumps so much heat into a mboard that thermal damage becomes a concern?

funkychilli

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
I really like the Maximus VII Formula Motherboard but would someone be able to confirm if SATA & PCIE mode means what I think it means.

Is it possible to use:
1st Preference - M.2 as Primary Boot/w OS and have 4x SATA in RAID 5 w/ this motherboard or;
2nd Preference - 1x SATA Express port 2x SATA in RAID 0 (I am assuming it is limited to 2x SATA)

Basically my primary concern is storage so if all else fails I will just run a SATA RAID configuration but I want to try out M.2 Socket 3 specifically for speed but I’m getting conflicting reports about what you can and cannot run when using M.2 and SATA Express.

I know you can only run M.2 or SATA Express and not both, but wondering about the either one with SATA.

Motherboard Information:
1 x SATA Express port, compatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2260 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red / Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Thanks, Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.