Sign in with
Your question

Have just added SSD drive to as boot driver on an Alienware X51, how do I properly configure a secondary hard drive (HDD)?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Alienware
Last response: in Storage
July 22, 2014 7:19:53 AM

To briefly explain what I've done, I have added a brand new Samsung EVO 250GB SSD to my Dell Alienware X51 R1 (which only supports up to Sata2 rather than Sata3 which is what the drive is, but I have still noticed a huge increase in speed in terms of quicker boot time and much snappier in general). Anyway, I obviously had to do a clean install of Windows 7-64 bit on the new SSD, and kept my original 1TB HDD unplugged during the process of installing windows on the SSD as recommended by others. I've now come to the point of installing drivers, etc on the SSD, and the HDD is now reconnected. So if I want to use the SSD as the boot drive with the OS on, and with some of my most used programs and games, and then the original HDD (which I have still yet to format so has Windows 7-64 bit on it plus a load of programs, games, other docs on it) is intended for use as secondary drive which contains a load of other programs and games, as well as photos, videos, etc..... Then how do I properly configure all of this? I intend on this 1TB HDD being formatted so has to wipe everything on it (have backed up all of my useful docs which I intend on later putting back on there)?

More about : added ssd drive boot driver alienware x51 properly configure secondary hard drive hdd

July 22, 2014 7:36:42 AM

If this is of any use in addition to the above info I gave, I am pretty certain RAID isn't supported on my system having researched it and spoken to the guys at Dell.
Related resources
!