Is the performance difference when having a second monitor on standby negligible?

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I recently purchased a second monitor to help with productivity, and it has been great. But one thing I have been wondering is whether or not this second monitor, which will always be centered on my desktop or whatever programs I have open, will impede my fps performance in video games?

For example, I might be playing a game on one screen, while I have a guide on the other.

Solution
You shouldn't notice any impact in performance if the second monitor is just going to have a website open or a video playing or something. It might be measurable in a few minor cases, but I doubt anyone could actually see a difference.

Sometimes full screen applications make it so you can't quickly switch between the main screen and the secondary, but usually games these days will support a window or borderless window mode so that you can have both things running and displayed.

Traciatim

Distinguished
You shouldn't notice any impact in performance if the second monitor is just going to have a website open or a video playing or something. It might be measurable in a few minor cases, but I doubt anyone could actually see a difference.

Sometimes full screen applications make it so you can't quickly switch between the main screen and the secondary, but usually games these days will support a window or borderless window mode so that you can have both things running and displayed.

Solution