I uninstalled INTEL HD to install my ASUS GTX 650 2gb and now my monitor display is black... What do I do?!

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Hi all,

My problem is that my monitor screen/display is black (as though it is turned off) whenever I turn it on.

I think this is because of me uninstalling my intel HD graphics. As I don't know much about computers, I followed tutorial videos about how to install a graphics card into my PC. The tutorial said that I need to uninstall Intel HD graphics through device manager before I put my graphics card in so I don't mess up my BIOS. As a result of that, I think I have messed my PC up. Please prove me wrong as I'm getting pretty worried about it. I would greatly appreciate anyone that replies or tries to help me.

My PC specs: Lenovo H520s desktop PC.
i3 processor
1tb hard drive
8gb ram
Windows 8.1

If you look at my computer on google it is a small form factor computer and wouldn't fit any graphics card. This is why I upgraded my case. My new case has a 500w psu and it also fits most GPU's so you don't need to worry about that.

Thanks all,
Nehal

Solution
2 things pop up for me is that it did not come with a card and they dot offer one to you for an upgrade that I could find now this may or may not be the issue but i'll give you this and you can work your way down from it

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of...

Jay Lavistria

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
You should NOT uninstall an integrated graphics on an intel processor; they automatically deactivate when you attach a graphics card.
Plug the monitor into your graphics card, not the motherboard, and wait for the computer to install at least the basic display drivers by itself.
A low res, if not standard res, should come onto your monitor in a bit.

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Yes I know now that I made a huge mistake. I have plugged in the VGA cable from my monitor to my GPU and have just left it running. Thanks very much.
Just one question though: how long do you think it will take for it to sort itself out?

2 things pop up for me is that it did not come with a card and they dot offer one to you for an upgrade that I could find now this may or may not be the issue but i'll give you this and you can work your way down from it

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers

and as an example of what this can mean......

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2198191/8100-elite-sff-amd-radeon-240-2gb.html

but lets hope not in your case, good luck

Solution

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Hi,

Yes I really hope this is not the case. Worst case scenario: If this is the case... What would the solution be?

Thanks

I don't know most times the computer will come with or has a card they offer to upgrade and you pretty well got to stay with in the factory cards power range so to say but most try to install a new gtx 780 on one that came with a low end card as this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814196047

just to find it just blackscreens cause they fixed the bios and the board only to support the lower end type cards as whats in the link I sent above with something like fixing the pci-e slot power

hard to say on yours seing that theres no info on it other than there sales pitch that I could find

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Okay. Sorry if I have interpreted this wrong but what your saying is that I may have installed a too powerful GPU onto my PC? And so if my PC has the problem that you are saying, I basically have to get a new computer.

Thanks,

I was re reading over this ''You should NOT uninstall an integrated graphics on an intel processor; they automatically deactivate when you attach a graphics card.''

now do you know that this is not blocked on that computer ?? and may not allow this?? see the deal is they write there own bios to how they see fit. our boards like we get from asus gigabyte ect. are full atx compliance boards where prebuilt computers are what acer hp dell decide them to be for that application and model with the parts they spec for it to be sold to you to work as is out of the box and fully warranty it to do so .. this is what they sold you and stand behind it no more no less anything you do above or beyond that is at your own risk..

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Unfortunately, no not yet as the screen is still black. Right now I am trying the first response I had about turning the PC on after plugging the VGA cable into the GPU and just letting it do its thing. However, nothing has happened yet after waiting nearly 4 and a half hours. It is still running. Another issue I have is that my GPU is very stiff to get out of the PCIE *16 slot. I don't know what it is. Do you think I should try taking the CMOS battery out and putting it back in? Any other things I could do?

Once again thank you for trying to help me. Quite rare that you actually find people trying to help. That goes for everyone :)

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

How do I do that? Sorry I'm not that good with these types of things. As a result of the screen being black I can't really do much on it. So you're saying I should stop what I'm doing with the PC? Like shall I stop it from trying to turn on?

why did this not come up when I looked before ? looks like this computer did come with a descrete card in them but don't know if it was the ones that had the amd chips in them you may get lucky here look over the
Display and Video Graphics part

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT073550

now this should be for your cpu you look it over and decide on that your self

http://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds037269

this may work for your card

http://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds039174

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Wow that is extremely lucky if this works out. I can't install them though because I have no access to my monitor. If I did have access, which one would I download or would it be both? Shall I force turn off my PC and try to take the GPU out and see if that works?

do your cpu first and get it back to normal then worry with the card and yes that's going to be hard to do with out a display and I guess you removed built in to windows default driver on that then your really screwed you should be able to remove the card and display something even in a new build with out having windows loaded up it still should display for you to look at the bios. remove the card hook up the onboard and restart and enter the bios if its all black screen even for that you may be done for

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Ok. If it is all black what is the solution or is there not any? Thanks again

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Sorry I'm a bit confused about what I need to do as I don't want to mess it up again. How do I sort out my bios? I have never done anything like this before.

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Okay dude. I took out the graphics card and lo and behold, the monitor came on as usual. I had such a sigh of relief. Okay now back to being professional:

It has now started up. I presume that I need to install some stuff. Just so I don't mess up, can you please tell me what to install?

Thank you loads

ok remove the card hook up the monitor to the vga on the board to use the on chip cpu like it was before you installed the card then reboot and enter bios [ http://www.pcworld.com/article/241032/how_to_enter_your_pcs_bios.html ]

all should display here if it displays the bios just fine then the exit bios and let it boot to windows in safe mode with networking [http://www.ehow.com/how_5346803_enter-safe-mode-computers.html]

if it displays your desktop in safe mode then try to download the intel vga driver and install it follow prompts and reboot and hope it install ok and is now back to where it should be on that issue

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Okay that is now done. What next?

nehalh2000

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

My PC is now back to normal. My intel R HD is now installed again and everything is fine (luckily). Thanks you very much. Now I just want to safely put my graphics card in. Should I just leave intel HD installed and put it in? Or shall I install them lenovo VGA drivers first?

ya you can try it . but like that gy said above it should detect the card and auto switch over to it or you may look in the bios and have to switch it over to oci-e slot now with out being there to look at your bios my self your kinda on your own on that part

there should be a bios page that states a setting called Primary Graphics Adapter and the setting for using the onboard or the card should be there and needs to be for the pci-e