Computer Engineering as a Major?

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Well, I'm currently trying to decide what I will major in. I've been researching computer majors and I came across this. However, if anyone here this as their major or has already completed it, what exactly is it? Also, what kind of fields can you get into career wise. The current average salary is pretty high, but it's not just the money. I'm really interested in computers. I have been since I was only 4 years old. I really enjoy tinkering with them and pushing them to their limits, but I would also like to take part in the making.

Computer Engineering graduate here,

Many people tend to confuse Computer Engineering with Computer Science and/or Information Technology. I'll give you a brief rundown of each.

Computer Science is the mathematical study of computation. It focuses heavily on algorithms and numerical methods. It's an incredibly abstract field of study and is very academic in nature; many CS majors/grads that I know absolutely detest programming while others absolutely love it. Since Computer Science is not considered a professional program, the course material varies heavily from institution to institution.

Information Technology is a rather large field of related studies that encompass the theory, construction, maintenance, and operation of information systems. If you like building PCs, solving problems, and configuring elaborate software deployments IT may be in your future.

Computer Engineering is a specialization of Electrical Engineering that focuses heavily (but not exclusively) on digital systems. Most Computer Engineering programs and Electrical Engineering programs have a lot in common. They both teach students the fundamentals of electromagnetics as well as applications including radio communication, electrical circuit design (lots of this), control systems, and semiconductor design.
Computer Engineering adds additional material which focuses on digital systems including microarchitecture design, computer networking, embedded systems, image process, integrated circuit design, operating system design, etc...
Electrical Engineering has a broader focus on microwave communication, power generation and transmission, microelectronics (some overlap with CE here), etc...
Computer Engineering degrees and Electrical Engineering degrees are often considered interchangeable, so don't get caught up in the differences as it will really come down to what electives a student takes. Several of my friends switched between the two programs part way through.
Unlike CS and IT programs, Engineering programs are almost always accredited by a regional (state/province) engineering licencing authority which ensures that the institution's teaching material is of sufficient quality. Unaccredited institutions may not be legally able to issue an Engineering degree or offer programs labelled as "Engineering".

I hope that this was helpful, feel free to send any questions that you may have my way.

oskerw

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
Your first two years will consist primarily of math (calculus 1 - 3, differential equations, possibly linear algebra), physics, and fundamental electrical classes with labs where you will learn to solve circuit problems involving all the common components like resistors, capacitors, inductors, dc and ac power sources, and op amps. You can find tons of these components on your motherboard. You will learn a few programming languages like Java or C.

In your final years you'll cover the advanced topics like logic design and digital signal processing. All the classes are heavy on math, and you'll find yourself applying concepts you've previously learned to more advanced problems as you go on.

Engineering is about solving problems and applying what you know. Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Nasa, just to name a few, all employ computer engineers. I say go for it!

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Great answers so far. Thank you both for taking the time to inform me. I really believe that this is what I want to do. I have some prior programming knowledge and while my math skills aren't exceptional, I believe that if I'm applying it for something I'm interested in that I will be able to excel at it. Up to this point all I've really done in my education is do what I have to do because nothing really interested me, besides computers. I know I want to have something to do with computers, and electrical is something that interests me as well. I would love to work for a company such as Intel or AMD, because I love computers and the hardware that encompasses it and I would really like to learn the science behind how it all works.

Great, that sounds to me like textbook Computer Engineering motivation.

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
I've started heading towards a Diploma in computer systems engineering and as previously mentioned it's very electrical based which I'm not the biggest fan of, I might have to switch over to more of a Information Technology area but either way I think it's a great backbone to expand into any computer field.

TomHardy

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Computer Engineering is the most widely applicable field — not because of the 'skills' you learn, but because corporations put logic devices in everything. _Any_ kind of logic device, whether it requires explicit software or not, is an application of computer engineering. Which is why people with CEs are almost never at a loss for a job. But most of the time — unless really innovative, CE people just end up as programmer drones.