BFG Tech 128MB DDR3 PhysX Ageia

stevot1995

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I have recently bought a R9 290

really nice piece of kit. However i didnt realise that Nvidia had pulled the plug on the hybrid physx MOD. So i know this is outdated but is it possible to run this BFG Tech 128MB DDR3 PhysX Ageia card with older drivers and be able to run physx? Or is there any other way of running the hybrid physx mod?

I also have a GTX 670 but this is way too much for physx. So i was going to buy the 750/ti for it that is if it is still possible to get it running.

Nvidia never supported Hybrid PhysX, its purely a community made hack which has now fallen to the wayside.

There is no official way to run PhysX off an Nvidia card using a Radeon primary, and as mentioned the Hybrid PhysX doesnt work anymore. Basically, keep playing on your 670 if you want PhysX. Such is the downside of proprietary technology.

stevot1995

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I understand nvidia never officially supported the hack, however my question was is could i use that older hardware to run physx.

To my knowledge no, and I think hardware that old if anything would degrade performance as the rest of your machine waits for the PhysX calculations to be done. I generally recommend when it comes to dedicated PhysX to not use a card weaker than a 560Ti.

stevot1995

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Just reading the hack seems to still work with the games im bothered about such as the metro titles which wouldnt be the same without the physx effects.
In regards to the Gpu i am aware that it has to be fairly good so im going to test this because i have a GTX670 which is coming out but the power draw will be too much for my PSU however i also have a GTX 560 and GTS 450.
I will test these if i get the hybrid physx working on Metro 2033 and last light.

DO you think a 750 / 750ti be good enough for physx

oxiide

Distinguished
I have heard of hybrid PhysX working with older drivers using an actual Nvidia GPU as the PhysX processor, but I have no idea if the old pre-acquisition Ageia PPU would work like this. Its drivers are, by definition, "older," so who knows. A better question might be if that PhysX card actually supports the modern implementation of Nvidia-branded PhysX in today's games.

I hate recommending the GTX 750 Ti, but such a low-power card might be best for this use. You're still taking a risk that it won't work even with a Nvidia GPU, though. This may help: http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Hybrid_PhysX

I don't personally think PhysX is important enough to use money and effort like this, though. It is the epitome of gimmicky tech.

stevot1995

Honorable
May 18, 2012
yeh but it cannot be denied that it adds to the game. I know it is a waste of money but i should say what my rig is currently:

i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz
R9 290
8Gb 1600mhz ram
120gb ssd
3tb hdd
750watt psu

I think ill see if i can get hybrid physx running over the next few days with the cards i currently have before making a decision whether to buy a 750 or 750ti and it is for me my main concern is power for this card and i know a 750 or 750ti would be plenty for this task.