what does my monitor have to include in order for it to work with r9 270x windforce2?

sdsdwwe

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
my 1440x900 VGA monitor cant be connected to the gpu so im getting a new monitor, what does the new monitor need to have in order to be able to be connected with the GPU? i dont want fancy things just the minimum, e.g does the moniotr has to have an HDMI input? minimum size? quality? (1080p i heard)

Solution
you don't have to, it's just what most monitors have these days.

why would you use two cables to go from the monitor to the GPU? You just need one, as you only need one for the video signal.

Depending on the monitor, if it has both DVI and HDMI inputs, get either of the cables, if it just has DVI get a DVI cable and just HDMI, get a HDMI cable. It will most likely have a VGA input (blue) but ignore it, you don't want to use it unless you buy an adapter, which is not worth it.
depending on the monitor, you will need to buy a new cable as most include a VGA cable which is useless for you as your card has no VGA Input. VGA is the older type of cable and is an analog signal, whereas now days the better cards tend to only have digital outputs.

You will need to get either of these cables (these two listed because of the price, there are more alternatives but may cost considerably more)

DVI-DVI Cable

HDMI-HDMI Cable

sdsdwwe

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
so i need to buy a monitor with either DVI-DVI cable+input or HDMI? what if i connect the new monitor to the gpu with both the cables? (hdmi and DVI)
im a semi-computer illiterate

you don't have to, it's just what most monitors have these days.

why would you use two cables to go from the monitor to the GPU? You just need one, as you only need one for the video signal.

Depending on the monitor, if it has both DVI and HDMI inputs, get either of the cables, if it just has DVI get a DVI cable and just HDMI, get a HDMI cable. It will most likely have a VGA input (blue) but ignore it, you don't want to use it unless you buy an adapter, which is not worth it.

Solution

sdsdwwe

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
ill get a monitor that has HDMI input and cable, is there a minimum size/quality required? my friend told me 22 inches and 1080p is required for the gpu to work effectively

no 'effective' size/resolution needed for that card. That said UHD/QHD wouldn't be called effective for that card. Just get one that suits you and your budget. The higher pixels the better but screen sizes comes down to you, 22" i find is too small but many will disagree.