Sticky LD edge, what to do?

Hi!

I found that one of my LDs has a sticky glue all around the outer edge. I
don't know if it was this way or some glue found a way out when my wife left
the disk in our DVL-919 for 24 hours in on state so the LD was quite warm
when I was removing it from the player.

What are you guys doing with such a disk? Should I throw it into garbage can
or there is some way to remove that goo?

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
More about sticky edge

    DG > Don't do anything.

    I second that.
    <http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/legacy/ld17.txt>
    "Glue, excess: Sticky edges are not a defect, and
    they may remain sticky indefinitely. Glue is more
    evident on 3M (Imation) production than on other
    vendors. I ignore the glue, but would trim obnoxious
    amounts off with an Xacto knife. See the
    "care & repair" article
    <http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/legacy/ld13.txt>
    for tips on removing the glue from playing surfaces
    (where it can result in video artifacts)."

    In article <1113879910.1dcfd036f04b9b562e55e809fe0d4125@teranews>,
    ksi@koi8.net says...

    > Hi!
    >
    > I found that one of my LDs has a sticky glue all around the outer edge. I
    > don't know if it was this way or some glue found a way out when my wife left
    > the disk in our DVL-919 for 24 hours in on state so the LD was quite warm
    > when I was removing it from the player.
    >
    > What are you guys doing with such a disk? Should I throw it into garbage can
    > or there is some way to remove that goo?

    Don't do anything. It shouldn't affect the disc or the player, and it's
    possible to cause more problems trying to remove the excess glue than
    simply leaving it alone. I doubt leaving it in the player caused this,
    it's a manufacturing defect of sorts.

    Dave

    On 18 Apr 2005 23:12:24 -0700, "rjn" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >DG > Don't do anything.
    >
    >I second that.
    ><http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/legacy/ld17.txt>
    >"Glue, excess: Sticky edges are not a defect, and
    > they may remain sticky indefinitely. Glue is more
    > evident on 3M (Imation) production than on other
    > vendors. I ignore the glue, but would trim obnoxious
    > amounts off with an Xacto knife. See the
    > "care & repair" article
    > <http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/legacy/ld13.txt>
    > for tips on removing the glue from playing surfaces
    > (where it can result in video artifacts)."

    And in my experience with 1000's of laserdiscs sticky edges are a good
    omen since "sticky" discs are the least likely to have laserot.

    ... Steve ..

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:
    > On 18 Apr 2005 23:12:24 -0700, "rjn" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>DG > Don't do anything.
    >>
    >>I second that.
    >><http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/legacy/ld17.txt>
    >>"Glue, excess: Sticky edges are not a defect, and
    >> they may remain sticky indefinitely. Glue is more
    >> evident on 3M (Imation) production than on other
    >> vendors. I ignore the glue, but would trim obnoxious
    >> amounts off with an Xacto knife. See the
    >> "care & repair" article
    >> <http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/legacy/ld13.txt>
    >> for tips on removing the glue from playing surfaces
    >> (where it can result in video artifacts)."
    >
    > And in my experience with 1000's of laserdiscs sticky edges are a good
    > omen since "sticky" discs are the least likely to have laserot.

    OK, thank you guys, I feel releived :))

    ---
    * KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
    * Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
  5. Quote:
    And in my experience with 1000's of laserdiscs sticky edges are a good
    omen since "sticky" discs are the least likely to have laserot.

    Hi!

    And what is "laserot"?

    Thank you.

Laser Disc Players Video