BEST SILENT MID TOWER? Define R4, H440 or other?

Jonathan Snow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Hi, I am making my first build. I am 14 years old and I have been targeting a silent PC. However I am stuck on the case. There are many options but I am unsure of which is the best, as there are not a lot of answers avaliable on the internet. The choices are...

• Fractal Design Define R4

NZXT H440

Antec P280

Or any other good silent case

These are all great cases (or I have heard) but I am unsure of which one i should choose. Your opinion matters to me, but I would like some unbiased points made as well please.

My Build

CPU: i7 4790k 4.0ghz
Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A (Purchased)
RAM: 16gb Corsair Standard 1600mhz (or as Corsair call it, Low Profile Memory)
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual Classified ACX 4gb
PSU: Corsair RM 750 Fully Modular
Hard Drive: Plextor M6E or Samsung 850 pro (Kind of Stuck on this one)
Case: TBD (By You!)

Thanks,
Jonathan

I have built 3 machines in Fractal Design cases. In every case there was a little niggle that annoyed me, but after the build, they are very good and very quiet. I've also built an additional build for a friend in a Fractal Design case and he's more than happy.

I will tell you that in all my builds I use closed-loop water coolers - not high-end, since I don't like to overclock, and that that contributes to my satisfaction, since by definition (nice pun! :) ) these cases have lower airflow since they have less open spaces and lots of heavy insulation.

I've also heard of the NZXT 4H40 but have never built anything in it. It is on my shortlist of cases to look at if I get an opportunity. The problem with the H440 is that there are no external 5.25 drive bays - so you can't have a built-in DVD or Blu-ray drive. If that's not an issue for you, then of course, it doesn't matter. But then you will have to either buy an USB-attached DVD reader to install your OS or follow instructions (there are many on the Internet) on how to make an installable USB stick from a Windows install disk.

The Antec P280 is an older case and I've not heard much about it lately. That doesn't make it bad, it just means exactly what I said. :)

Leonell12

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Fractal design define R4 or the NZXT H440, everyone has a different definition for what is best
these reviews will highlight the major things in the cases
Fractal design Define R4 review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FdpIrr3JNc

NZXT H440: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_YioNlc298

i would personally choose the h440 simply because its basically an improvement over the fractal design define r4 if you can live without a optical drive bay, if you're still confused about what case to choose after watching the reviews, let us know what you exactly want or expect from your cabinet and how much are you willing to spend on it and we'll try and help you out with that
also have you already decided and bought that build, because there are things can be improved

Jonathan Snow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Thanks for all they answers everyone :). Im Putting My Gut feeling on the H440, I can live without the optical drive, hope I made the right decision. Once again, thanks for the answers. Helped me A Lot :)