5040 Repair

As posted previously, sound during record has disappeared from my 5040.
Plus, the Ethernet port was hit by lightning. Should I attempt to get
RTV to repair it, or would I be better off sending it to Mikeyboy? If I
did the latter, I could upgrade the drive at the same time, I assume.
Recommendations welcome.
7 answers Last reply
More about 5040 repair

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > As posted previously, sound during record has disappeared from my 5040.
    > Plus, the Ethernet port was hit by lightning. Should I attempt to get
    > RTV to repair it, or would I be better off sending it to Mikeyboy? If I
    > did the latter, I could upgrade the drive at the same time, I assume.
    > Recommendations welcome.

    Interesting development. I moved the 5040 to begin the process of
    packing it to ship off for repair, and the sound started working. There
    must be a loose connection internally. Go figure.

    I've had a couple shows record on mine that had no sound.
    I figured it was the network, but now I'm not so sure.
    If you figure out exactly what was loose or what caused your problem,
    please post the details.

    Thanks

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > mcp6453 wrote:
    >
    >> As posted previously, sound during record has disappeared from my
    >> 5040. Plus, the Ethernet port was hit by lightning. Should I attempt
    >> to get RTV to repair it, or would I be better off sending it to
    >> Mikeyboy? If I did the latter, I could upgrade the drive at the same
    >> time, I assume. Recommendations welcome.
    >

    > Interesting development. I moved the 5040 to begin the process of
    > packing it to ship off for repair, and the sound started working. There
    > must be a loose connection internally. Go figure.

    If you are into doing electronic repair then I'd suggest a good once
    over everythign with a magnifying glass... If you see something suspect,
    well, then you know what to do.

    If you are nto into electronice repair, then you won't know what to do,
    so send it to someone who does. (I know what to do, After all, I'm a
    licensed radio operator and I design somee of my own stuff (mostly power
    supplies) but I'd not wish to take on a Replay

    > Interesting development. I moved the 5040 to begin the process of packing
    > it to ship off for repair, and the sound started working. There must be a
    > loose connection internally. Go figure.

    Was the "move" the first time you unpowered the unit. If so, might have
    been a software crash. With any kind of weird RTV behaviour, rebooting is
    pretty high on the trouble-shooting list. In six years, I've had to reboot
    mine maybe ten times for one problem or another.

    - Mark

    markjen wrote:
    >>Interesting development. I moved the 5040 to begin the process of packing
    >>it to ship off for repair, and the sound started working. There must be a
    >>loose connection internally. Go figure.
    >

    > Was the "move" the first time you unpowered the unit. If so, might have
    > been a software crash. With any kind of weird RTV behaviour, rebooting is
    > pretty high on the trouble-shooting list. In six years, I've had to reboot
    > mine maybe ten times for one problem or another.
    >
    > - Mark

    I pulled it out to begin the process of disconnecting it to return it
    for repair. I have no idea why I moved it with the power on. It had
    already been defaulted and rebooted, to no effect.

    It could be something more simple, like a loose cable. My 3000 does it
    every once in awhile, but I just loses video sync. Shake the cables next
    time.

    "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > I pulled it out to begin the process of disconnecting it to return it
    > for repair. I have no idea why I moved it with the power on. It had
    > already been defaulted and rebooted, to no effect.
  7. Thanks for this post ..... i agree with your views for electronic repair for 5040.

Ptv Replaytv Ethernet Card ReplayTV