Closed

Pioneer DVL-909 DTS modification

Some one told me that a Pioneer DVL-909 can play DTS on DVD after a simple
resistor modification.

Can some one tell me if this is correct and how this modification must be
done?

Thanks in regret! (And sorry for the bad English)

Peter
11 answers Last reply
More about pioneer dvl 909 dts modification

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:23:45 +0200, buzz-lightyear <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote:

    >Some one told me that a Pioneer DVL-909 can play DTS on DVD after a simple
    >resistor modification.

    >Can some one tell me if this is correct and how this modification must be
    >done?

    google is your friend. When I owned a DVL-909, it took less than 20 seconds
    to find the information via google. Try searches like "DVL909 macrovision hack"

    About 50% of the 909's I've tried this on work. You just have to try the
    resistor swap and see if it works. As described in other notes it will then
    think it is a DVL-91 if it works and you get DVNR for LD's also.

    Kurtis

    "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Some one told me that a Pioneer DVL-909 can play DTS on DVD after a simple
    > resistor modification.
    >
    > Can some one tell me if this is correct and how this modification must be
    > done?
    >

    > Thanks in regret! (And sorry for the bad English)
    >

    > Peter

    The resistor hack is indeed simple and changes the DVL-909 into believing it
    is an Elite DVL-91, a player which had DTS digital out as standard.

    Please note however the following:
    1. A small number of very old DVL-909's will still not output DTS digital
    out because the chipset inside is of an old revision that does not recognize
    the DTS datastream off the DVD;
    2. The mod will only give you DTS digital output. The analog sound outputs
    of the player will still be silent during DTS DVD play;
    3. If you are modifying a European DVL-909, it will no longer play PAL laser
    discs. I solve this by adding a switch to switch between original and DVL-91
    mode.

    If you cannot find the hack on the Internet, send me a email.

    Regards,

    Nico de Vries

    "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Some one told me that a Pioneer DVL-909 can play DTS on DVD after a simple
    > resistor modification.
    >
    > Can some one tell me if this is correct and how this modification must be
    > done?
    >

    > Thanks in regret! (And sorry for the bad English)
    >

    > Peter

    I have now the page were the modification is explanted:
    http://www.megavision.de/pioneer_diy.htm

    My player is a European model so I will have to use a switch.

    One question: what is DVNR?

    Peter

    "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
    > About 50% of the 909's I've tried this on work. You just have to try the
    > resistor swap and see if it works. As described in other notes it will
    > then think it is a DVL-91 if it works and you get DVNR for LD's also.
    >
    > Kurtis
    >
    > "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> Some one told me that a Pioneer DVL-909 can play DTS on DVD after a
    >> simple resistor modification.
    >>
    >> Can some one tell me if this is correct and how this modification must be
    >> done?
    >>

    >> Thanks in regret! (And sorry for the bad English)
    >>

    >> Peter

    I was to fast with asking the question. It probable means Digital Video
    Noise Reduction.

    Very nice future I think!

    Peter

    "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> schreef in bericht
    >I have now the page were the modification is explanted:
    >http://www.megavision.de/pioneer_diy.htm
    >
    > My player is a European model so I will have to use a switch.
    >

    > One question: what is DVNR?
    >

    > Peter
    >

    > "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
    >> About 50% of the 909's I've tried this on work. You just have to try the
    >> resistor swap and see if it works. As described in other notes it will
    >> then think it is a DVL-91 if it works and you get DVNR for LD's also.
    >>
    >> Kurtis
    >>
    >> "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    >>> Some one told me that a Pioneer DVL-909 can play DTS on DVD after a
    >>> simple resistor modification.
    >>>
    >>> Can some one tell me if this is correct and how this modification must
    >>> be done?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks in regret! (And sorry for the bad English)
    >>>

    >>> Peter

    Yes, DVNR is Digital Noise Reduction for LD's and it is variable.

    I did do one European 909 once. I put a switch on the back to switch
    between the two resistor set values. I used a single pole double throw and
    it worked great. You just have to power off the unit for the performance
    switch. It reads this at power-on.

    >I was to fast with asking the question. It probable means Digital Video
    >Noise Reduction.
    >
    > Very nice future I think!
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> schreef in bericht
    >>I have now the page were the modification is explanted:
    >>http://www.megavision.de/pioneer_diy.htm
    >>
    >> My player is a European model so I will have to use a switch.
    >>

    >> One question: what is DVNR?
    >>

    >> Peter
    >>

    >> "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
    >>> About 50% of the 909's I've tried this on work. You just have to try
    >>> the resistor swap and see if it works. As described in other notes it
    >>> will then think it is a DVL-91 if it works and you get DVNR for LD's
    >>> also.
    >>>
    >>> Kurtis
    >>>
    >>> "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message

    I did get the email below which says the European model has no DVNR after
    the modification.

    Is the European version based on another Laserdisc player than the American
    version?

    Peter

    -------------------------

    You are right in thinking DVNR is Digital Video Noise Reduction. It is for
    Laserdisc only. As you have a European DVL-909, this feature will pop up in
    the menus, but will not work, as the European version has a different
    laserdisc video board. Only with NTSC-only models, DVNR will work after the

    mod.

    Regards,

    Nico de Vries

    --------------------------

    > Yes, DVNR is Digital Noise Reduction for LD's and it is variable.
    >
    > I did do one European 909 once. I put a switch on the back to switch
    > between the two resistor set values. I used a single pole double throw
    > and it worked great. You just have to power off the unit for the
    > performance switch. It reads this at power-on.
    >
    > Kurtis
    >
    > "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    >>I was to fast with asking the question. It probable means Digital Video
    >>Noise Reduction.
    >>
    >> Very nice future I think!
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    >> "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> schreef in bericht
    >>>I have now the page were the modification is explanted:
    >>>http://www.megavision.de/pioneer_diy.htm
    >>>
    >>> My player is a European model so I will have to use a switch.
    >>>

    >>> One question: what is DVNR?
    >>>

    >>> Peter
    >>>

    >>> "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> schreef in bericht

    I've seen it in both. The biggest problem with DVNR in the 909 is that the
    LD picture is the softer picture from the CLD-D604 family. So you do not see
    the effect the same as if you had the sharper picture a CLD-D704 LD player.

    The DVL-91 actually does have a sharper S-Video output and there the DVNR
    can be useful

    >I did get the email below which says the European model has no DVNR after
    >the modification.
    >
    > Is the European version based on another Laserdisc player than the
    > American version?
    >

    > Peter
    >
    > -------------------------
    >

    > You are right in thinking DVNR is Digital Video Noise Reduction. It is for
    > Laserdisc only. As you have a European DVL-909, this feature will pop up
    > in
    > the menus, but will not work, as the European version has a different
    > laserdisc video board. Only with NTSC-only models, DVNR will work after
    > the
    >
    > mod.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Nico de Vries
    >
    > --------------------------
    >

    > "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
    >> Yes, DVNR is Digital Noise Reduction for LD's and it is variable.
    >>
    >> I did do one European 909 once. I put a switch on the back to switch
    >> between the two resistor set values. I used a single pole double throw
    >> and it worked great. You just have to power off the unit for the
    >> performance switch. It reads this at power-on.
    >>
    >> Kurtis
    >>
    >> "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    >>>I was to fast with asking the question. It probable means Digital Video
    >>>Noise Reduction.
    >>>
    >>> Very nice future I think!
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>

    >>> "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> schreef in bericht

  9. Quote:

    The resistor hack is indeed simple and changes the DVL-909 into believing it
    is an Elite DVL-91, a player which had DTS digital out as standard.

    Please note however the following:
    1. A small number of very old DVL-909's will still not output DTS digital
    out because the chipset inside is of an old revision that does not recognize
    the DTS datastream off the DVD;
    2. The mod will only give you DTS digital output. The analog sound outputs
    of the player will still be silent during DTS DVD play;
    3. If you are modifying a European DVL-909, it will no longer play PAL laser
    discs. I solve this by adding a switch to switch between original and DVL-91
    mode.

    If you cannot find the hack on the Internet, send me a email.

    Regards,

    Nico de Vries

    "buzz-lightyear" <buzz-lightyear@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Some one told me that a Pioneer DVL-909 can play DTS on DVD after a simple
    > resistor modification.
    >
    > Can some one tell me if this is correct and how this modification must be
    > done?
    >

    > Thanks in regret! (And sorry for the bad English)
    >

    > Peter

    So how does Modification of a DVL-909 DTS work? I cant find anywhere on the internet, that tells how.
  10. Hello i,m from Holland and searching for solloutions to repair the european power supply for the DVL909
    the fuse blows out directly.
    mabey somebody has the technical scheme or a repair manual.
    The hardest problem that i have encounterd is to open the
    laserdisc Tray.
    Please send me your reply
    dvd.10@hotmail.com
    Tnx Milo.
  11. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Laser Disc Players Pioneer Video DVD