Display Shut Off and Won't Come Back On.

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I was recently playing Minecraft with shaders. After about a 30 min. gaming session my computer's monitor went into power saving mode. Before the monitor went into power saving mode, I did check the temps, and it was around 65 - 75 C. So I assumed that wasn't hot enough to damage the video card / force a shut down. My computer is on, which is signified by the LED fan and the light on my motherboard. I opened up my case to see if the video card's connection the PSU was loosened or it somehow wiggled its way out its slot. The fan was spinning so I'm sure none of the two had happened. I also made sure my HDMI cable was firmly in both my monitor and my video card. My computer can still turn on and off put nothing is displayed on my monitor.

Specs:
Video Card: XFX R7 260X-ZNJ4
CPU: AMD 8320 (I was using the stock cooler if that matters)
PSU: CoolMax ZU-600B (600 W)
Mother Board: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3

Help and Advice is appreciated!

WHY DID YOU GET A COOLMAX PSU (aside from the fact that it's cheap)?????

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah I know, I didn't know they were that bad at the time.

You could start by getting an EVGA 500 watt. They're on sale at Newegg for 35$.

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

You sure the PSU is the problem, or do you not want my house to burn down?

If you keep the PSU and your house burns down, don't blame me:)
OK, so you could try changing the monitor input port (VGA, HDMI, DVI, etc).

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Just tried DVI, same thing happened, computer turns on, monitor doesn't

Your monitor probably just gave up on you...

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Unfortunately, I don't have any other monitors. My brother does have one, but I'd prefer to have his permission. He isn't at home and won't be home for maybe 2-3 hours, I'll try and update you then.

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Since I'm going to be waiting for the monitor, I'm just going to theorize the problem. Maybe it could be the CPU? As I stated earlier I was using the Stock Cooler at Stock Speeds. Last I checked it was running at a stable 81C, could this be the problem or is it definitely the monitor?

CPUs don't normally cause monitors to shut off. Or, you maybe fried BOTH the integrated graphics and the GPU...

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, but why fry with Minecraft at 75C but not at Bioshock at 85C?

You should perhaps remove the shaders. They ARE GPU-intensive, do you know?

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Surprising how GPU intensive they are, well, at least compared to my other games.

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Do I know what?

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I switched out the monitors, my monitor works just fine with his integrated graphics. So I guess I'm getting a new GPU, (I threw away the box making it invalid for newegg's RMA service) probably new PSU. This may be a cheap but would I need to replace my motherboard?

trawetSluaP

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

Of course they are! The Titan Black I have has a safe operating temperature of 95C (not that I'd EVER let it get near that).

Only other thing I can think of is to clear your CMOS. This works for me if I find the PC works fine except for no signal being sent to the monitor.

Jonathan Conrad

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

That didn't work either RIP Sasha 2014 - 2014