Pioneer CLD-S504 stalls at end of disc side

I have three laserdisc players. The first two are a Magnavox
WRV-100(purchased Nov.1994) & a Pioneer CLD-S104(purchased Jan.1996),
which I bought new & both work perfectly. About 5 months ago I came
across a Pioneer CLD-504 at a local Goodwill here in Indianapolis for
$8.99+ tax. Of course, I bought it! It plays CDs perfectly, but on LDs
it will stall at the end of a side, when the "end disc" logo comes on
the screen. It has an auto-turn mechanism, & I thought that might be
the trouble. I've taken it apart & watched for this problem; it seems
that the laser assembly actually rides a track & goes upside down to
read the B-side of the disc. It looks like a mini-roller coaster in
action, as I can see the laser unit start to go around this track-then
it stops & the thing whines like crazy. On the front on the unit there
is a green LED marked "quick turn", so I pressed it & turned it off-so
I thought. But even then it will still stall & whine. Then I get this
U1 code in the front amber display. Pressing the LD button will eject
the LD, but the problem doesn't go away next time it is in use. If
there is extraneous material at the end of a side(studio logos or
credits) you can stop the unit before the stall kicks in. Also
sometimes the U1 code shows up when I first load a LD(but oddly, not a
CD in the little drawer). A few tries at opening/closing fixes that,
then the LD will play perfectly. If there's a way to disable the auto
turn 'feature' I'd like to correct this problem, because cosmetically &
functionally the unit is very nice, & let's face it, you won't find a
new laserdisc player at Best Buy or Circuit City anymore. And does
Pioneer even still make the big LD/DVD combo players anymore? I recall
they were about a grand before discount. I just picked up a nice
Pioneer DVR-220-S DVD recorder at Wal-Mart for $198.76, had it 10 days
& am planning to archive some LDs. So far the results have been good,
but I hate to can the CLD-S504 if not necessary. Hopefully someone with
'expertise' on the matter can help me. Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about pioneer cld s504 stalls end disc side

    <If there's a way to disable the auto
    turn 'feature' I'd like to correct this problem,>

    Press the side A button instead of "play". This will start play and ignore
    the side change.

    <I've taken it apart & watched for this problem; it seems
    that the laser assembly actually rides a track & goes upside down to
    read the B-side of the disc. It looks like a mini-roller coaster in
    action, as I can see the laser unit start to go around this track-then
    it stops & the thing whines like crazy.>

    There is a plastic holder for the optical drive motor mounted at the
    optics. Two gears move the optics. One of the gear mounting pins is most
    likely broken. At side change you're losing the gear mesh. This would also
    give a "U" code.

    The plastic part Duncan is talking about is Pioneer part number VNL1700. It
    is cheap and you can order it from Pioneer. You'll have to remove the
    optical pickup to be able to replace the part.

    Kurtis

    "Dennman6" <dhf1962@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I have three laserdisc players. The first two are a Magnavox
    > WRV-100(purchased Nov.1994) & a Pioneer CLD-S104(purchased Jan.1996),
    > which I bought new & both work perfectly. About 5 months ago I came
    > across a Pioneer CLD-504 at a local Goodwill here in Indianapolis for
    > $8.99+ tax. Of course, I bought it! It plays CDs perfectly, but on LDs
    > it will stall at the end of a side, when the "end disc" logo comes on
    > the screen. It has an auto-turn mechanism, & I thought that might be
    > the trouble. I've taken it apart & watched for this problem; it seems
    > that the laser assembly actually rides a track & goes upside down to
    > read the B-side of the disc. It looks like a mini-roller coaster in
    > action, as I can see the laser unit start to go around this track-then
    > it stops & the thing whines like crazy. On the front on the unit there
    > is a green LED marked "quick turn", so I pressed it & turned it off-so
    > I thought. But even then it will still stall & whine. Then I get this
    > U1 code in the front amber display. Pressing the LD button will eject
    > the LD, but the problem doesn't go away next time it is in use. If
    > there is extraneous material at the end of a side(studio logos or
    > credits) you can stop the unit before the stall kicks in. Also
    > sometimes the U1 code shows up when I first load a LD(but oddly, not a
    > CD in the little drawer). A few tries at opening/closing fixes that,
    > then the LD will play perfectly. If there's a way to disable the auto
    > turn 'feature' I'd like to correct this problem, because cosmetically &
    > functionally the unit is very nice, & let's face it, you won't find a
    > new laserdisc player at Best Buy or Circuit City anymore. And does
    > Pioneer even still make the big LD/DVD combo players anymore? I recall
    > they were about a grand before discount. I just picked up a nice
    > Pioneer DVR-220-S DVD recorder at Wal-Mart for $198.76, had it 10 days
    > & am planning to archive some LDs. So far the results have been good,
    > but I hate to can the CLD-S504 if not necessary. Hopefully someone with
    > 'expertise' on the matter can help me. Thanks!

  3. This maybe old, but I also work on them myself, and I repaired two recently, my query is whether the S104 motor carriage can be replaced to the upscale D504 or D703? I found one for $15, and can't locate a better deal on parts basically
  4. Quote:

[...]

    The laser reader is not aligning properly, it needs to be adjusted, repaired to factory specs.

Laser Disc Players Pioneer