A little help with a build?

GunXpatriot

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
The post is a bit long, so I've separated the different concerns into bold text ("CPU, "GPU", etc), and if any of you would like to help with any of them, please do, it would be greatly appreciated!! BTW, I'm trying to stay within $1000 or so, but going over a bit isn't TOO bad.

So for a while now, I've been looking into building a PC. I'm progressing as far as choosing components, but I'm stuck on a few things... I plan to use the build for a decent amount of video editing, gaming (BF4, Metro series, GTA IV, as well as older (less demanding games) like New Vegas, GTA:SA, GTA: Vice City, which obviously won't be a concern... Um, maybe a bit of Cryptocurrency mining (haha), and that's all I can really think of at the moment. But really, tasks that would revolve around maybe, a "moderate" power-user. N

CPU: One concern is Intel vs AMD. I originally was going to go with an FX-6300, but decided that for the money, the performance of the FX-8320 was a better increase for the money. I'm looking mostly at the passmark scores, which I know is not the set in stone way of judging performance, but I guess it's a good way to ballpark how a CPU will perform, I'd think... the 6300 scores 6359 on passmark. The 8320 scores just over 8000 for $40 more, and I felt that increase was worth the money. But when you look at the 8350, for $20 more, it scores 9000 with the same power draw, etc, though same number of cores and stuff.

But as of late, I'm thinking maybe I should go with Intel. I was like "damn, I should go with an i5 or i7. Performance-wise, compared to power draw, is significantly better than AMD. But I don't want to get too hung up on that, because within the lifespan of the PC, you'd never see the difference in your power costs. Not for the higher price of the Intel processors. AMD CPU's seem to give higher price/pcmark and are just better for the money, at the cost of a little more power draw, which is negligible. But if you really want to get "up there" performance-wise, you'd need to go Intel, it seems.

However, even the i5's going into the $200 range don't have hyperthreading. Not the lower-end ones. Many also score lower on Passmark, like significantly. I know the FX processors (8xxx) are marketed as 8-core, though I believe they are 4 with hyperthreading (8 virtual?). I think that 4 cores, vs 4 with hyperthreading, would be an improvement for video editing, as far as that's concerned. I think for gaming, hyperthreading is negligible. I believe the more common higher end i7's are also 4 with hyperthreading, and I guess single core performance would just be significantly better all around. Apparently, you don't start getting into 6 (12 virtual), etc until you go to the Xeon series, which doesn't apply here. So this is my main issue of choosing what to pick. I know that even if I go with an 8xxx, it will still be future-proof for years to come, but would a higher end Intel be a better investment? For the money, I could just buy an updated FX, as I'd need to replace motherboard anyway? I edit 720p video on an AMD Turion 64x2 TL-60, though not easily. So in that sense, any FX Series will be a welcome upgrade, no matter what I go with. Tell me why you went with either. I feel tempted to go overkill, as I think many are, but I don't want to, really.

RAM: This is simpler, but there's still a lot to choose from. For my needs, 8GB RAM seems good. Apparently, "faster" RAM doesn't do much, as LinusTechTips showed, so I decided to go with an 1866, because it seemed to be the highest performing in those tests and others. Great... But how much do I really need? I've been running 2GB RAM on this old laptop, and it's been alright. I feel like since I don't "multitask", and I more just do one thing at a time, like video editing, gaming, (obviously), even 4GB would be enough, which is why I wanted to go with 8 to future proof myself. But as I said before, overkill is tempting, and I was thinking 16GB. What would be my best option? Prices seem to vary wildly. I was thinking of going Kingston HyperX Blu 4x2, which would set me back less than $100. It seems to be pretty good stuff. What RAM would you recommend?

GPU: So for this, I actually have two Asus R9 270's lined up. But after some recent research, I was a but disappointed with it's performance in Metro: Last Light, at only about 25fps consistent. I know turning AA off and turning down the settings a bit will increase performance. I can always crossfire as well, but I was looking to use only one of them for gaming. I think they'll be fine, especially with a decent overclock, and for the money I got them for, they really don't have much competition. Maybe I'm just overthinking. They do seem to perform very well on games like BF4, though surprisingly are only average in GTA IV (worst freakin' port ever done, apparently)...

Obviously motherboard and case will be adjusted, but right now I'm looking to do a Thermaltake Chaser MK-I. I know, I'm a showy noob, but the thing looks sick! For an HDD, I'm looking at a WD Black 1TB. I do have another USB 3.0 1TB HDD for backing up and stuff, so I think that 1TB will be good, especially for the price. I know many say to install OS on an SSD, but that always kind of confused me, so I'll just do it the "typical" way for simplicity.

But I think that's about it... You can see how I'm torn between some of these decisions, but it's mostly CPU that's messing me up... Hope you guys can help me! Thanks so much!

Christopher Q

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
All I can say is good luck!
I'm working on something similar, but with a much lower budget. I am sticking with AMD because the price is right(and partially because I have a subconscious thing against Intel). You could always look at it like this: For almost any Intel you buy, you could get the AMD 8350 for cheaper. I personally am going with the FX6300 fyi.
Since you are torn between 4g and 16g of ram, just split the difference. Go with 8. 2x4 is around $80 and that seems to be the way to go from my research. I have also read that the CPU cooler(aftermarket recommended) can get in the way for the 2 closest ram slots on some motherboards.
Looks like you've got the GPU situation figured out. Since you already are going to have 2, just experiment with them. Try one out, then try them both out in crossfire.

The best thing I can say is have fun! I got overwhelmed in the beginning and gave up from all the different choices. Now I am finally getting back to it and got some of my parts in and am enjoying it immensely. The whole thing is one big learning experience and I am eating it all up. So back to the beginning where i said, Good luck!

GunXpatriot

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Yeah, I have this weird bias in my head, of liking AMD better, for whatever reason. Maybe it's like my love/hatred towards Apple and their stylish, yet highly overpriced systems.

I feel like with Intel, I'm paying more for less performance, even if the processor is slightly more advanced, development-wise. The difference in electricity is never going to affect me, and lack of hyperthreading could only hinder me, it seems. At least compared to something with hyperthreading...

I think I'll go with the FX-8350, as it seems like a good value vs. Intel's higher-end i7's.

And yeah, I suppose I'll just go with a decent 2x4 RAM from Amazon. I also don't really plan on overclocking, especially not past the "recommended" overclock, so I don't think an aftermarket cooler will be an issue.

Thanks a lot for the information!