What are the Basic Requirements (Software-wise) to connect devices over LAN

kamikaze96

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014
I've looked everywhere, for 2 days, to find a general method for connecting devices over LAN but I couldn't find any.
I'm trying to really understand how connections happen, not the advanced protocols, but just the basic principles. I believe if I (and anyone else) understand that, I don't need a step-by-step guide to do what seems to be very simple.
I'm gonna try and keep this as general as I can for anyone else out there suffering like me with their own special version of LAN connection problems.

----- Actual Question Start Here -----
What address (IP, MAC) do I need to connect two PCs together over LAN?
What assigns IP address to PCs?
Does a PC have an IP address if it isn't connected to a network/Internet?

kamikaze96

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

That's too advanced.
I actually figured out how to connect devices eventually.

I answered my questions in the process of learning how to connect devices over LAN, but now I have another question. How secure is using a wireless router to be the 'center driver'* of a LAN network AND the device that connects the computers to the internet?
How easy can I hacker get into the LAN network

*I didn't know what to call it :p

what do you mean by "connect" to PC's? you want to access PC A's files from PC B and vise versa? you want a hompegroup
if you want to share files over the internet you need a dropbox.
lastly and the hardest method to accomplish your task is with an FTP set up (File Transfer Protocol).

kamikaze96

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014
For anyone having trouble, here's how to connect devices over LAN :

I'm using these devices:
1-Windows 7
2-Windows 8
3-Multiple Android Devices

-You might not be using the same devices as I am but read anyway, I've added general information to whatever method you're using.

Windows side

STEP 1 -- Go to 'Network and Sharing Center' (NSC from now on) > 'Advanced Sharing Settings' > check these:

Network discovery (ON)

File and printer sharing (ON)

Public folder sharing (I don't use public folders but I turned it on)

Media streaming (Your Call) I think it's used to share the media you choose from the libraries you choose with other people, click on the link to control what to be shared. I found it to useless and turned it off eventually

File sharing connections (First option recommended) Encryption settings, look into this if you're using older devices that might not be able to handle sophisticated encryption methods

Password protected sharing (Your Call)

HomeGroup connections (Experiment with this one if you're using XP or Vista, I chose the first/recommended option)

STEP 2 -- All of your devices should be connected with each other, be it using a Router, or a Crossover cable,...etc

I didn't use a Crossover cable, but I think this is how it goes (Might Be Wrong).
When using a cable you must assign an IP address to your computers manually. To do so:
Go to NSC > 'Advanced Sharing Settings' > 'Local Area Connection', right click it and go to Properties and choose "Internet Protocol Version 4", click Properties. Choose 'Use the following IP address' and enter an IP address like 192.168.1.10
Do the same for the other computer but choose another a different ending like this 192.168.1.11
I'm not sure about the other parameters though, sorry.
Click on "Validate settings upon exit" to check if the address you used is already used inside the network.

Because I'm using a Wireless router with DHCP*, IP addresses for each device are automatically chosen by the router so I didn't have to go through all this.

*DHCP means that the router will handle assigning IP addresses to devices connected to it.

STEP 3 -- Go to 'Network' (from 'Computer' Left-side panel), devices connected to your LAN will show up here.
If you turned on Media Streaming from STEP 1, they will also show up here.

---- That's it ----
Your devices are connected. Technically, when you try to play a LAN multiplayer game now, it should work.
Now if you want to share folders between computers continue to STEP 4.

STEP 4 -- Go to the folder that you want to share and right click on it, and go to Properties.
In the Sharing tab, click on 'Share' and from the drop-down menu choose 'Everyone'. Pay attention to the permissions you choose, 'Read' only allows other users to view the files, 'Read and Write' also allows users to modify and delete files. Click 'Share'.
If you want more control, also from the Sharing tab, click 'Advanced Sharing', make sure the top checkbox is ticked and then choose whatever options you like.
Note: I'm not sure if I don't understand well, or if it's a bug, but sometimes the checkbox in the Advanced Sharing window isn't checked after I share from the "simple" sharing dialog.

Now in 'Network', you should be able to access the folder you shared from the other computer.

Android Side

On Android, AFAIK you can only access files on other computers but computers can't access files on Android.
Android devices can only be connected to LAN via WiFi (unless you find an Android device with an RJ-45 port !!), so the computer you want to access also has to be connected to the same WiFi Network.

Install ES File Explorer App, and press the top-left button (Globe), choose 'Network' and click on LAN.
From the Bottom Bar of button, click on Scan. Your computer should show up, click on it. Since I'm not using a password on my PC I get access to shared folders immediately, but if your using a password, you're going to be asked to enter it first.

And once again, we're done :)

oct

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

When considering computer security nothing is secure. It is best to use a HEALTHY dose of paranoia. The attack vector for a single user is very small. It is not worth the hacker's time to attack a single user. When a user dose get hacked, it is usually beccause they click a bad link or download a bad program. The user unintentionally bypasses any security on the system and open the computer up for attack. The only solution to this problem is user education. In that respect, you are heading in the right direction.

Your question is to broad. I don't feel comfortable giving a definitive answer. In general, useing a router (a.k.a "center drive") is not a major risk when setup correctly. In my opinion, the router adds a layer of security. Router have built in protocol/technology that help deter attacks.

The wireless technology (wifi) is misunderstood by many user. The connection is encrypted by default on most routers. Most user trun the encryption off, or keep the same password the manufacturer setup up on the router. Making the password very useless.

In conclusion, it is safe to use a wireless router if set up correctly. The user often helps hackers accomplish there goals unintentionally by not being educated about computers.

Note: a really good pod cast for computer/security is the TWIT network. It's a internet radio show were people call in and ask questions about computers. They also put the show on youtube.com, if you do not feel comfortable downloading the pod cast.( youtube.com is a streaming site, it is different then downloading a pod cast)

http://twit.tv/show/the-tech-guy/1102

http://twit.tv/show/security-now/465