Intel vs AMD, your thoughts please...

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
Well, I've done a bunch of research about it through the internet, but I want to know about it directly from you guys, how's the battle between Intel vs AMD in terms of performance, price, reliability, issues, etc etc etc...

Just tell me what you guys think about both of this CPU manufacturer, you can make a judgement based on what you know, what you've heard, or maybe your experience when using it.

This is for my report, I am choosing this topic because I have a lot of interest in CPU market.
I am just building my first PC using Intel core i5 4690 btw, and it runs flawlessly.

AMD's cores are weak and they're not as much reliable as Intel processors.. For example, The AMD FX CPU's have many cores, which are weaker. intel i5's have less cores, which are stronger. The intel's consequently have better performance per core. The difference comes in depending on what you want to use the PC for. If you're on a tight budget, save some money and go with the AMD and spend the extra money on a better GPU that will give you better performance than any CPU could. No AMD processors can beat a powerful i7..

i5: Good for older games (single-threaded), Good for newer games (multi-threaded), Good for general work, great all-round CPU and probably the best around for current games (may change in future, see here: http://www.corsair.com/blog/ps4-xbone-pcgaming/ ).
AMD: Slightly worse for older games (single-threaded), Great for newer games (multi-threaded e.g. BF4, Crysis 3), Good for light/heavy work, extra cores are great for 3d modeling and video editing or rendering, great CPU whilst costing much less than the intel. Even though it's worse in older games it will run them perfectly well and smoothly.

And if you overclock i5, that overclocked performance beats AMDs..

for further references, you could see the following vids which have some non-synthetic benchmarks for AMD FX 83xx vs i5/i7:
Gaming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc
Gaming and Streaming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE
Having shown that, the intel wins 9 times out of 10 in most purely gaming benchmarks as AMD cannot match its per-core performance. Also these particular benchmarks have been scrutinised many a time. If you wish to find out more you can google benchmarks for each processor.

8350rocks

Distinguished
At this time in the CPU market, AMD offers the best performance per dollar, bar none. Intel offers better outright performance if you are willing to shill out $100+ over what you can spend on some like the FX6300 or 8350. However for HTPCs, the APUs offer a quiet, energy efficient solution that fits into small form factors and does not require a dedicated GPU to do 1080p video or video encoding, as well. So depending on your needs AMD does many things well.

Intel has outright performance right now, though the winds will be changing there in the near future based on what I know, but cannot share at this time.

All things being said, both will do fine for gaming, and both will be fine for everyday use. AMD excels in some areas where Intel excels in others.

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I would have to agree with Agera, but would also have to point out that AMD takes a lot of fanboy hits which makes them seem weak. I have been able to do EVERYTHING on my FX-8320, so it's not bad or anything, not bad at all...

I think you have an extra letter "d" in your signature/quotation phrase.. LOL

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014

Ok, thanks for all of your response, it really helps.

I don't mean to start a debate or sort, but I want to ask if you can do EVERYTHING with your FX-8320, then what makes it so difference compared to intel, let's say core i5 which can also does EVERYTHING ( based on my opinion because I also build one), doesn't it means that your FX-8320 can be put on the same level as i5 since both of it can do EVERYTHING? or is it because of the difference at PRICE point? putting aside the single core performance, bla bla bla

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Ok, for budget with performance, go AMD ALL THE WAY. I have the R7 260x which is only about $130 and i'm playing Thief and Sniper Elite on maximum settings at 45 fps at 1920 by 1080p

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014

Appreciate your reply, I understand that "GO AMD ALL THE WAY" stuff you're talking about, it makes sense.
But the talk about you're using R7 bla bla, got fps bla bla just doesn't make any sense to me. Because it simply didn't explain anything.

KaizenFox

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
I had experience with the both brands:

Intel: With celeron, pentium and a core i3 3220. They worked great, 0 problems. I used them for webstrem, office task, homework, etc.
Low power consumption.

AMD: In the beggining was very skeptical about this brand. My first cpu was a Sempron 145 for a home pc.
I was very happy with the performance. Now I have a FX-6300 for gaming, best price-performance ratio, higher power consumption.

Any brand is a good option, you will not be disappointed.

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Ok, in simple terms, ANY game you can possibly play on the market will work beautifully with this card.