Does anyone know if Overlord is a reputable brand for monitors?

Episodic

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Does anyone own an Overlord monitor and can give me details on how they actually run/customer service of Overlord? I ask because I am interested in their 1440p IPS/120Hz monitor and on their site it says they will be available soon. I was going to go with the ASUS Pb278Q, but for the same price I can get double the refresh rate with this Overlord monitor. The problem is I never heard of this company before, and even though there was a review on it on this site I am still a little skeptical. So does anyone have any insight on this monitor/company?

Solution
l respects T3PShooter's safe choice of reputable companies who produce good monitors all the time but BenQ did keep upgrading their monitors from XL2420T to TE to TX to Z and so on because of advancements and other political crap I bet but I believe Episodic is contemplating on giving a not so well known company a chance especially since its throwing out a new concept that IPS panels hasnt seen before or too often. Since many praise and have given on avg great reviews.. why not right? Whats the worst that can happen, you return it?

Traciatim

Distinguished
I thought the 120Hz was an overclock that you have to do yourself and there was actually no guarantee that your specific monitor would reach 120Hz... but other than that it seemed like a pretty fantastic monitor. If only is was a variable refresh rate of some sort then it would be just about perfect.

Episodic

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Well the site says, "60Hz (up to 120Hz / ALL units tested to a minimum of 96Hz and up to 110Hz during our bench testing with automatic timings". So I think it's guaranteed to go to at least 110Hz, which is all I would OC it to anyways.

Thyrax

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I am unsure what you are going for with the "Overlord" monitor that you speak of. Please provide a link to the monitor and price so we can view it for ourselves and give you a more accurate response. Secondly, since its an IPS and not a TN panel monitor, you are looking at a minimum 5MS-7MS. I am unsure if that matters to you, but you didnt mention the purpose of the monitor that you are going to purchase. Gaming, Graphic Design, Video Editing?

Recap:

1. Provide link to the Overlord Monitor for pricing and stats (We can compare it with the ASUS and other monitors for the best value for your dollar) Or just tell us your spending cap.. and it looks pretty high since you are looking at a 27" monitor :)

2. Purpose of the monitor besides the 120hz, I will guess gaming and your own use.

Episodic

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

1. Overlord Tempest X270OC http://overlordcomputer.com/products/tempest-x270oc-glossy

2. Yes, high end gaming (FPS/MMO/RPG/Pretty much all genres) and general/school use. I understand IPS monitors have 5ms+, I would love lower but we all know that's not possible yet. I use a 2ms monitor now, and have never used a 5ms one before, but people say the 3ms difference is unnoticeable, unless you have a keen eye for it.

3. My budget is $650 max, I want a 1440p IPS monitor with as low response time and high refresh rate as possible.

Thyrax

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Well I will tell you my 2 cents on the comparison of the 2 monitors.

The Overlord monitor looks promising to be quite honest. From the reviews to the articles written about it. The biggest hype about it is the 120hz for an IPS panel. I am a little disappointed that it only has 1 connection type.. you would think they would have more when it has functionalities that other monitors do not have. So if you are looking to have 3 of these in the future, maybe this one isnt for you.. unless you want a dual monitor setting. If you dont care about multimonitor stuff, then disregard, but I would like to see at least a displayport. Cant have everything =/ And not to mention the speakers. Never a fanof that because I'd never use them since I am a headphone type.

I can tell you the stats but its not what you're asking for. The stats are similar however and from the reviews on their site and reviews from other online sources, overall the monitor looks quite promising. It looks like a step in the right direction and it is nice to have an IPS panel that reaches up to 120hz. When I first was skeptical about BenQ monitors, I always liked my ASUS or Dell.. sometimes its good to jump to a different brand and see whats out there to experience.

Not my decision, but I think you should go for the Overlord monitor.. and its cheaper than the ASUS (looking at Newegg). So, why not try something new and you may just like it. Lastly, the ASUS monitor didnt specify hz rate.. because it doesnt go to 120hz :p

Thyrax

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
l respects T3PShooter's safe choice of reputable companies who produce good monitors all the time but BenQ did keep upgrading their monitors from XL2420T to TE to TX to Z and so on because of advancements and other political crap I bet but I believe Episodic is contemplating on giving a not so well known company a chance especially since its throwing out a new concept that IPS panels hasnt seen before or too often. Since many praise and have given on avg great reviews.. why not right? Whats the worst that can happen, you return it?

Solution

Episodic

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

You're right, for ~same price I have the chance at a stable 120Hz IPS monitor, too good to pass up. I will give Overlord a try and report back here once I have ample time to try it out. Thanks for support/suggestions everyone.

Thyrax

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

You're welcome, I would definitely like to know your standpoint on the monitor. Good luck!