Feedback wanted on new laptop purchase: Diagnostic tests provided

Hello,

I recently started this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2230038/450-laptop-deal-feedback-opinions.html

I decided to go ahead and buy the laptop, just to test it out.

It is a Lenovo W530 with an i7 3720 processor.

The laptop is running win7 Ultimate on what looks to be a fresh (out-of-date) install. I've installed nothing (except for the 2 software packages below) and have only updated the audio driver/s.

I used HD Tune and HWMonitor to run some diagnostics. Here are some screenshots:

Benchmark:

Error Scan:

HDD health:

HWMonitor:

Everything seems okay, although I am concerned about 2 things.

1) I am getting a "Calibration Retry Count" warning. It gives a warning of "6 tries". I am worried that the HDD is messed up. I can hear the machine somewhat audibly (if everything around me is quiet) and I suspect that this might be the HDD making the noise.

I've also researched the calibration issue and (from a thread I found) I learnt that a low-level-format might fix it.

What do you guys think? Is the HDD giving up or headed towards there? I would consider swapping it out for something better, like an SSD, but I am not sure what to do (as it might not be broken).

2) The battery life. Although I only have a 9% wear level (I can live with it), the capacity says "75980mWh" for current capacity. The problem I have is that after charging the battery full, I get a "stated initial capacity" (based on what is said on the bottom-right of the win7 menu bar) of 3h 44 mins. Yet, when it drops to 98%, the battery now says 3h 12 mins. It keeps fluctuating downwards (jumping from 3h 12mins to 3h 4mins after 1 minute, and doing so repeatedly until 5/10% of charge-level) and isn't a true reflection of what a battery should do (or what I think it should do).

Is this a win7 issue (meaning, is win7 the battery drainer)? Is the battery faulty? (although the wear level says only 9% wear so far) ? What I hope isn't the issue, is the HDD problem (above) draining the battery life?

I also suspect that I may need to do some type of reset concerning the battery and system. Although I am unsure about this.

Lastly, what other good diagnostics could I run to see if I made the right purchase?

I am able to return the product, but I feel that apart from the HDD, this was a very good deal I got.

All feedback very appreciated!

PS. I am not sure if my images are clear enough or not. If they aren't, I will try re-uploading. Just let me know, thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about feedback wanted laptop purchase diagnostic tests provided
  1. The images are too small, they didn't embed right or something.

Battery time is always going to flucuate. It takes a test opf the current usage and tries to estimate time on that. Open a web-browser that boosts the clock from say 1.3ghz up to 3ghz to load and starts to load 2 or 3 cores, even for 30s, is enough to draw a large power draw and change the remaining usage.
  2. getochkn said:
    The images are too small, they didn't embed right or something.

Battery time is always going to flucuate. It takes a test opf the current usage and tries to estimate time on that. Open a web-browser that boosts the clock from say 1.3ghz up to 3ghz to load and starts to load 2 or 3 cores, even for 30s, is enough to draw a large power draw and change the remaining usage.

Would it be easier to see if I put the imgur URLs under the images?

I know people don't like clicking extra links, but the images are 1920x1080, so they may look bad here on Toms.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Lenovo Hard Drives