Odyssey^2 game qustion - Monkeyshines!

Recently I was going through my old games and found an Odyssey^2 game
of Monkeyshines! This game looks normal, except that on the outer spine
there is a silver label with what appears to be Japanese writing and a
second instruction manual in the box that is black and white and also
appears to be in Japanese. The qustion is: Is this the standard
packaging of the game, and is it worth anything to a collector?

Thanks in advance for any info.
2 answers Last reply
More about odyssey game qustion monkeyshines

    Here's a link to pictures of the games.......
    http://www.80sweb.com/odyssey.htm
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Nice find! That's how O2 games were packaged for the Japanese market.
    They were sold this way in Japan, but do turn up in Japanese-speaking
    areas of the U.S. sometimes.

    Here's some more info from my web site:

    In Japan, the Odyssey² was distributed by Kooton Trading Taitari
    Enterprises (a division of DINGU company) -- which I suspect was a
    Japanese toy company -- starting in December 1982. Kooton imported
    American Odyssey² games as-is, making only slight changes to the
    packaging before putting them up for sale in the Japanese market. The
    primary alteration was the addition of a pale or metallic rectangular
    sticker on the side of each game box. These stickers contained writing
    in katakana, the phoenetic Japanese alphbet used to print foreign
    words. Other than the katakana stickers, the only difference between
    Japanese and American Odyssey² games is the inclusion of a folded,
    cheaply-made manual printed in Japanese. The Japanese manuals are
    black-and-white only, and their print quality is so low that they
    almost look photocopied. Obviously, Kooton spared no expense in
    producing them!

    - William
    The Odyssey2 Homepage!
    http://www.classicgaming.com/o2home/