GTX 670 4GB SC Worth running in SLI?

ayb88

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hi Guys,

looking for some help here. I build my PC almost two years ago. Here are the main specs:

i7-3770k
Asus Sabertooth z77
EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB
2x8GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600
800 W Corsair PSU
1 TB HDD @7200

I know must of your are probably saying if I want to increase the performance of my rig, I should go SSD, duley noted, but loading speed is not particularly my issue.

As the next generation games are becoming available, with high end graphics, I want to ensure that my large investment does not lag behind and is able to keep up.

I'm debating whether to buy a new GPU GTX 780ti (which would be quite costly), or if instead I should run SLI and get another GTX 670 which would be more economical.

The game I play the most is Battlefield 4, which supports SLI, and i've seen benchmarks and reviews and it seems to make quite a large difference in performance, running close to almost double the fps.

The only thing that really concerns me, is the amount of RAM. I think I made a mistake of buying a 4gb card, considering I never planned on using multiple monitors. I'm using a 27" Samsung LED, and am not looking to run multi-monitor setup.

So if i run SLI with another gtx670 4gb, will I have any issues in terms amount of ram? Overkill?

Also, I read in the FAQ's, that if I pair two similar gpu's with the same chipset, but with different clock speeds, for example (nvidia superclocked vs. ftw clocking speed), I should be fine because the drivers are able to handle it. Is this true?

I haven't overclocked anything on my PC yet and would rather not. I know I can safely overclock, but just don't want to.

Sorry for newbish questions, but hope you guys will entertain my questions.

Thanks!

670 sli 4 gb is great value and will perform better than 780 ti with perform scaling. It may be a bit of an overkill for 1080p gaming. It's perfect for 1440p though. For sli, make the sure the cards are exactly the same down to the model number to avoid issues.

RobCherry

Reputable
May 18, 2014
yes but remember if you do go for the sli rig, not all games will work any better from the sli, only certain games perform better from sli like battlefield 4

ayb88

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

Is has to be the "EXACT" model?

I thought it was only that it is going to have to be a gtx 670 with the same amount of ram? I thought brand and clocking speed did not matter, because the driver's will sort it all out? Or no?

Well, yes. I would get the EXACT same card (VRAM, model number, and brand) to avoid issues with compatibility. I had plenty of issues with SLI 570, so save yourself the trouble. The model number is usually located in the back of the card.

calibre_by_sparkle_gtx_670_5_lgw.jpg

good luck finding a 4gb 670 for a decent price, a nd a matching model at that. you are likely to pay close to $300…. or you can sell your card for near $300, and just buy a 780ti and have similar performance without the added heat, sli scaling and issues, power draw.

ayb88

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I thought about that, but ended up coming across the exact same card for $220. Compared to $600+ on a 780ti

at the $220 price is definitely worth it. you should be good to go for another generation until we have single gpu 4k capable cards.