Tivo and playing on your computer

I currently have a tivo series 2 with HME. I have networked it to my LAN via
a wireless usb card which allows me to use the features of the galleon
(http://galleon.sourceforge.net) which totally rocks!

However, I haven't had much time to play with the ToGo option to figure out
why I can't play the movies on my computer. I am pretty sure it is because
I don't have the codecs to play the mpeg-2 file on that computer. I also
saw that the file's extension isn't something that I am not use to. In
doing a search, there are several suggestions of using a combination of
software to rip out the mpeg file from the tivo wrapper file.

This leaves me a little confused.

A. If the ToGo option is to allow me to transfer to my computer so I can
watch it offline, then why is it difficult to watch.

B. My main computer is a linux box which has all the codecs I need, if I
transfer the files to this box, will I be able to watch the programs I
recorded?

Thanks in advance for the help.

//jeff
4 answers Last reply
More about tivo playing computer

    I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you because of the
    encryption involved with TivoToGo, you can only view video on
    a Windows box. Unless something has changed, there are no
    applications available for any other OS that will unencrypt the
    content.

    BTW Galleon looks to be pretty much the same as JavaHMO from
    what I can tell.

    jj wrote:

    > I currently have a tivo series 2 with HME. I have networked it to my LAN via
    > a wireless usb card which allows me to use the features of the galleon
    > (http://galleon.sourceforge.net) which totally rocks!
    >
    > However, I haven't had much time to play with the ToGo option to figure out
    > why I can't play the movies on my computer. I am pretty sure it is because
    > I don't have the codecs to play the mpeg-2 file on that computer. I also
    > saw that the file's extension isn't something that I am not use to. In
    > doing a search, there are several suggestions of using a combination of
    > software to rip out the mpeg file from the tivo wrapper file.
    >
    > This leaves me a little confused.
    >
    > A. If the ToGo option is to allow me to transfer to my computer so I can
    > watch it offline, then why is it difficult to watch.

    Because the media companies demand DRM features so their content won't
    be pirated. If Tivo didn't implement it, they would sue Tivo until they
    did. Unfortunately there isn't any opensource DRM, so most media
    providers are using proprietary solutions that usually aren't ported to
    Linux.

    > B. My main computer is a linux box which has all the codecs I need, if I
    > transfer the files to this box, will I be able to watch the programs I
    > recorded?

    You need a codec or player w/ Directshow support, which probably doesn't
    exist for Linux. Most folks I've heard of have used Graphedit to strip
    out the DRM and then transfer it.

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >BTW Galleon looks to be pretty much the same as JavaHMO from
    >what I can tell.

    Galleon is from the same developer and replaced JavaHMO - but it does
    a LOT more than JavaHMO ever did. It is a full HME application and it
    has built in support for TivoToGo with automated transfers,
    experimental videocasting, etc.

    -MZ
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    jj <jeff@freshfiremedia.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >A. If the ToGo option is to allow me to transfer to my computer so I can
    >watch it offline, then why is it difficult to watch.

    It isn't really, if you have an MPEG2 codec. All DVD playing software
    comes with one, since DVD is MPEG2, and most PCs come with DVD support
    these days - so most users have it and never need to think about it.

    You will need to install TiVo Desktop if only to get the DLL installed
    that handles decrypting .TiVo files for DirectShow.

    >B. My main computer is a linux box which has all the codecs I need, if I
    >transfer the files to this box, will I be able to watch the programs I
    >recorded?

    You won't be able to play .TiVo files on a Linux box since you need to
    decrypt them, and that needs the Windows-only DLL. However, there are
    a number of ways to rip .TiVo files into .mpeg files on Windows, then
    you can watch those .mpeg files on Linux.

    -MZ
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

Ptv Tivo Tivo Computers