Game boy: Great games?

I just got a Gameboy Advance today at a garage sale for 5 bucks. It came
with Donkey Kong, Super Mario Land 2, and Tony Hawk 2. It's all pretty
fun, but to be honest, I've never owned a gameboy before and I've been
collecting classics so long I'm pretty out of the loop on what's good
these days. So, I'm looking for recommendations, what games should I get?
I don't care if they're new or old.

Thanks
--
Jim Leek
jrleek@soda.berkeley.edu

    GBA for $5 is a good haul. Nice job.

    Things I own that I'd recommend...

    GB:
    Elevator Action
    BurgerTime Deluxe
    Mr. Do!
    QIX

    GBC:
    Frogger
    Ghosts 'n' Goblins
    Joust/Defender
    R-Type DX

    GBA:
    Bubble Bobble: Old & New
    Castlevania (NES Classic)
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (get this one, if no other)
    Konami Collector's Series (Frogger, Scramble, Time Pilot, Gyruss, Yie
    Ar Kung-Fu, Rush'n Attack)
    Pinball of the Dead

    I'm retro-oriented, so people may have recommendations for more modern
    GBA games...

    matt
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jrleek@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (James Robert Leek) wrote in

    > I just got a Gameboy Advance today at a garage sale for 5 bucks. It
    > came with Donkey Kong, Super Mario Land 2, and Tony Hawk 2. It's all
    > pretty fun, but to be honest, I've never owned a gameboy before and
    > I've been collecting classics so long I'm pretty out of the loop on
    > what's good these days. So, I'm looking for recommendations, what
    > games should I get? I don't care if they're new or old.
    >
    > Thanks

    Donkey Kong '94 (not sure which one you got)
    Wario Ware
    Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    Crystal Quest
    Alleyway

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    >I'm retro-oriented, so people may have recommendations for more modern
    >GBA games...

    Thanks. Just for the record, of the 3 games I got, GB Donkey Kong is by
    far the best. This game is awesome. (It's not just original Donkey Kong,
    it's much, much more. )
    --
    Jim Leek
    jrleek@soda.berkeley.edu

    James Robert Leek wrote:
    >>I'm retro-oriented, so people may have recommendations for more modern
    >>GBA games...
    >

    > Thanks. Just for the record, of the 3 games I got, GB Donkey Kong is by
    > far the best. This game is awesome. (It's not just original Donkey Kong,
    > it's much, much more. )

    That was the game I would recommend first, so you're doing good so far.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    >I just got a Gameboy Advance today

    Congrats. I've been enjoying mine for a while now. As a classic
    collector, you'll probably be interested in Nintendo's NES re-releases,
    like Metroid, Zelda, Bomberman, and the like. These are usually
    available for $10 to $20 at most retailers. Also, Atari recently
    launched a line of GBA multicarts with a variety of classic Atari
    titles. (I haven't tried any of these so I cannot comment on the
    quality.)

    My personal favorites are:

    Advance Wars 2
    Dr. Mario (GB)
    Bubble Bobble Old & New
    Mario Vs. Donkey Kong.
    Konami Arcade Advanced
    Heroes Of Might & Magic II (GBC)

    Most of those are available for $20 or less. Happy hunting!
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    James Robert Leek wrote:

    > So, I'm looking for recommendations, what games should I get?

    Advance Wars 1 and/or 2 are a couple of my favorites.

    Also check out Ultimate Brain Games, Activision Anthology, Tetris
    Worlds, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

    --
    "[Your] pathological hatred of Bush is so fierce it has disabled [your]
    ability to reason. I have no problem with critics of the war. I have a

    MrBiggles <mrbiggles909@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > James Robert Leek wrote:
    >>>I'm retro-oriented, so people may have recommendations for more
    >>>modern GBA games...
    >>

    >> Thanks. Just for the record, of the 3 games I got, GB Donkey Kong is
    >> by far the best. This game is awesome. (It's not just original
    >> Donkey Kong, it's much, much more. )
    >
    > That was the game I would recommend first, so you're doing good so
    > far.

    If you like GB's Donkey Kong then pick up Mario vs Donkey Kong for GBA.
    Similar gameplay expanded a bit. Works really well.

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    There was a HOMM2 for GBC? I only know of the first one...

    matt
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "James Robert Leek" <jrleek@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
    >I just got a Gameboy Advance today at a garage sale for 5 bucks. It came
    > with Donkey Kong, Super Mario Land 2, and Tony Hawk 2. It's all pretty
    > fun, but to be honest, I've never owned a gameboy before and I've been
    > collecting classics so long I'm pretty out of the loop on what's good
    > these days. So, I'm looking for recommendations, what games should I get?
    > I don't care if they're new or old.

    Kirby's Pinball Land
    It's a Gameboy game, but put it in a Gameboy Color, and the game will be
    colored appropriately. I assume it's the same with putting it in the GBA.

    > Thanks
    > --
    > Jim Leek
    > jrleek@soda.berkeley.edu

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    I'm not aware of any other HOMM port for the GBC, this one simply
    happened to be a port of HOMM2. It is not a complete port, but most of
    the gameplay elements from the PC are included.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    After posting, I checked around, and indeed there were two ports. I
    have the first one, but I'd like to grab the second one now. Thanks.

    matt

Gameboy Games