Network Problem

My replaytv hard drive went and replaytv sent me a new unit. I was using
dvarchive with no problem now with the new unit I can't see the shows I
recorded on my pc.

The replaytv is connected to the home network with a linksys wireless
ethernet adaptor. It is downloading the schedules okay but I can't see it
on my home network.

Can someone help figure out why this isn't working?
6 answers Last reply
More about network problem

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:51:51 -0400, "Scout Lady"
    <scoutlady@nospam.net> wrote:

    >My replaytv hard drive went and replaytv sent me a new unit. I was using
    >dvarchive with no problem now with the new unit I can't see the shows I
    >recorded on my pc.
    >
    >The replaytv is connected to the home network with a linksys wireless
    >ethernet adaptor.

    Are you sure you need wireless? Wired is much simpler.

    > It is downloading the schedules okay but I can't see it
    >on my home network.

    Note that Replays don't show in "network neighborhood", but should
    still show in DVA. If it's not recognized automatically, try opening
    it manually.

    >Can someone help figure out why this isn't working?

    I suppose you have DVArchive set up as a server.

    DVA has an option in it's properties, that makes it visible only to
    certain Replays. Do you have that set? If so, it could be excluding
    that Replay.

    Also, both the computer running DVarchive and the Replay should be set
    to have static IP addresses (with any DHCP server disabled), or use a
    DHCP server with reserved addresses. Otherwise, the Replay will have 2
    IPs (with at least one varying unexpectedly). This can confuse DVA.

    At first I had a problem with my software firewall (they don't tell
    you you need to pass uPnP between the Replay and DVA (do NOT enable
    uPnP on your router). However, this shouldn't be your problem, since
    DVA was working.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    Wireless network adapters and Replays can sometimes work together

    But in general the Replay prefers wires.

    That's about all the advice I can give

    HOWEVER: if you are like me and run SETI@HOME on your computer so you
    leave it on all the time, DVArchive, and several other programs (most
    anything that uses TCP/IP) can sometimes have "issues".

    I found a cold boot works wonders

    Just remember there are several ways to BOOT a computer

    COLD BOOT: What happens when you first turn it on in the morning
    WARM BOOT: Alt-Ctrl-Delete, times 2
    SOFT BOOT: Do you wish to restart your computer now 'YES'
    Hard Boot: If your computer has a physical RESET button
    Steel Toe Boot: That way you don't hurt your foot

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    Scout Lady wrote:
    > My replaytv hard drive went and replaytv sent me a new unit. I was using
    > dvarchive with no problem now with the new unit I can't see the shows I
    > recorded on my pc.
    >
    > The replaytv is connected to the home network with a linksys wireless
    > ethernet adaptor. It is downloading the schedules okay but I can't see it
    > on my home network.
    >
    > Can someone help figure out why this isn't working?

    Since this has been done 10,000 times, I'll summarize and you are on
    your own to search the Replay forum at avsforums.com and Planet Replay
    for the gazillion wireless threads.

    1) Wired is best if possible.
    2) Used the same brand.
    3) DON NOT use "game adapters" or and other cheapo wireless gadget. You
    need bridges.
    4) You can finagle around for HOURS/DAYS with varies brands trying to
    get them to work right.
    5) Belkin will work depending on the firmware revision. they used to be
    great, then newer firmware screwed some up. Depending on model, you may
    need the newest firmware or an older firmware.
    6) Linksys usually requires 3rd party software (Sveasoft, etc)
    7) Buffalo works right out of the box. Their new WHR-HP-G54 high power,
    long distance router/bridge/switch is da bomb for Replays. This piece is
    new and hard to come buy. I got mine from sureneeds.com for $78 ea. I
    had inquired about the older version and they told me the new one was
    due in. They CALLED ME when 5 came in (I bought 3). The 3 replays
    connected to these perform FLAWLESSLY set as bridges in WDS mode. One
    thing is that these are "high power, which means your neighbors will be
    on your network unless you encrypt. I used simple WEP64 and all is golden.

    I know some clown is going to post how he got some $20 after rebate
    gadget to work, but do a search and remember you've been warned.

    If you insure your replays are protected against the DHCP bug, you'll
    never have to run around rebooting replays, bridges, or routers -EVER.

    >>If you insure your replays are protected against the DHCP bug, you'll
    >>never have to run around rebooting replays, bridges, or routers -EVER.
    >

    > How to you ensure that you are protected?
    > I've turned off the DHCP server on my linksys router, but still end up
    > rebooting one of the 3 units a couple times a month.

    The "bug" is that different parts of the Replay wind up with different
    IP addresses (ie firmware and os). Turning off DHCP does nothing but
    make the Replay take longer to boot. It will look for a DHCP server
    regardless.

    You should have a router which allows "reserved ip". That is whenever a
    unit with xxxxxxxxxx mac address requests an ip it ALWAYS gets the same
    address that is stored in a tale in the router. It is also best to
    increase the DHCP lease time to its maximum. Then for add'l insurance
    set the Replay for static address. What happens is that part of the
    Replay, even though set for static, will request an Ip address. If the
    address it receives from the router (which is "reserved") is the same as
    the static one it is configured for, then all parts of the OS and
    firmware will have the same address and you don't get the wacky problems
    of "it will do this, but it won't do that" network wise.

    The simplest procedure:

    1) set the Replay for DHCP.
    2) Boot it and go to network settings. It will have gotten an Ip and DNS
    info. Make these static.
    3) Go into your router and reserve the address to the Replay's MAC address.

    No more problems.

    Now, Mark will post that you can run a pc and jury rig a software
    program to provide reserved ip and DHCP if your router does not support
    reserved ip. My advice: spend the $40 on a new router.

    Netgear and Hawking routers have this feature. Others may too but I
    don't think Linksys does.

    From:Tony D
    nospam@nospam.com

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:47:22 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >>>If you insure your replays are protected against the DHCP bug, you'll
    >>>never have to run around rebooting replays, bridges, or routers -EVER.
    >>

    >> How to you ensure that you are protected?
    >> I've turned off the DHCP server on my linksys router, but still end up
    >> rebooting one of the 3 units a couple times a month.
    >>

    >The "bug" is that different parts of the Replay wind up with different
    >IP addresses (ie firmware and os). Turning off DHCP does nothing but
    >make the Replay take longer to boot. It will look for a DHCP server
    >regardless.
    >
    >You should have a router which allows "reserved ip".
    > That is whenever a
    >unit with xxxxxxxxxx mac address requests an ip it ALWAYS gets the same
    >address that is stored in a tale in the router. It is also best to
    >increase the DHCP lease time to its maximum. \
    >Then for add'l insurance
    >set the Replay for static address. What happens is that part of the
    >Replay, even though set for static, will request an Ip address.

    There is no need to do this if the DHCP server always provides that
    particular address. It just makes the setup more complicated.

    > If the
    >address it receives from the router (which is "reserved") is the same as
    >the static one it is configured for, then all parts of the OS and
    >firmware will have the same address and you don't get the wacky problems
    >of "it will do this, but it won't do that" network wise.
    >
    >The simplest procedure:
    >
    >1) set the Replay for DHCP.
    >2) Boot it and go to network settings. It will have gotten an Ip and DNS
    >info. Make these static.
    >3) Go into your router and reserve the address to the Replay's MAC address.
    >
    >No more problems.
    >
    >Now, Mark will post that you can run a pc and jury rig a software
    >program to provide reserved ip and DHCP if your router does not support
    >reserved ip. My advice: spend the $40 on a new router.

    That started out as a test, before upgrading the router. It has worked
    well enough there is no need to do so.

    If you're buying a new router, consider one with this feature. The
    program is something you can download and get your Replay working NOW.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

Ptv Replaytv Ethernet Card Video Hard Drives ReplayTV