TivoDVR Free at Best Buy

Today's (Sunday) Best Buy ad has the R10 DVR for $100 with $100 rebate. The sale
includes existing customers.
I'm trying to figure out how this would work for me and if there is an extra
$4.99 monthly charge. I already have an R10 and one of the older RCA receivers.
I pay $4.95 for the extra receiver and another $4.95 per month for what the DTV
bills says is DVR service fee. If I buy this free R10 and quit using the old
RCA... do I pay "another" $4.95 DVR monthly service fee? Would it matter if I
just used (activated) "one" tuner on the new DVR? So is this deal too good to
pass up? It does require either a 1 year or a 2 year service obligation. And I
can't figure out if it is 1 or 2. Ad states that the service commitment is 2
years for "advanced receivers" but doesn't indicate whether the R10 is an
advanced receiver.
Anyone know how this deal works?
17 answers Last reply
More about tivodvr free buy

    "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
    > Today's (Sunday) Best Buy ad has the R10 DVR for $100 with $100 rebate.
    > The sale
    > includes existing customers.
    > I'm trying to figure out how this would work for me and if there is an
    > extra
    > $4.99 monthly charge. I already have an R10 and one of the older RCA
    > receivers.
    > I pay $4.95 for the extra receiver and another $4.95 per month for what
    > the DTV
    > bills says is DVR service fee. If I buy this free R10 and quit using the
    > old
    > RCA... do I pay "another" $4.95 DVR monthly service fee? Would it matter
    > if I

    Your DVR service fee would go up to 5.95 as you would no longer be
    grandfathered under the old rate. Using it as a replacement for your other
    receiver, your "additional receiver" fee would stay the same.

    > just used (activated) "one" tuner on the new DVR? So is this deal too good

    They don't activate by the tuner, but by the smartcard.

    > pass up? It does require either a 1 year or a 2 year service obligation.
    > And I
    > can't figure out if it is 1 or 2. Ad states that the service commitment is
    > 2
    > years for "advanced receivers" but doesn't indicate whether the R10 is an
    > advanced receiver.

    It's a DVR, so it is an "advanced receiver".

    > Anyone know how this deal works?

    If you got it, and replaced your non DVR receiver with it, your bill would
    go up $1 (not including any taxes you pay) and you would be committed to
    DirecTV for 2 years from activation (of the new machine) date.

    "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message news:S3nXe.126$xc4.23@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    > Today's (Sunday) Best Buy ad has the R10 DVR for $100 with $100 rebate. The sale
    > includes existing customers.
    > I'm trying to figure out how this would work for me and if there is an extra
    > $4.99 monthly charge. I already have an R10 and one of the older RCA receivers.
    > I pay $4.95 for the extra receiver and another $4.95 per month for what the DTV
    > bills says is DVR service fee. If I buy this free R10 and quit using the old
    > RCA... do I pay "another" $4.95 DVR monthly service fee? Would it matter if I
    > just used (activated) "one" tuner on the new DVR? So is this deal too good to
    > pass up? It does require either a 1 year or a 2 year service obligation. And I
    > can't figure out if it is 1 or 2. Ad states that the service commitment is 2
    > years for "advanced receivers" but doesn't indicate whether the R10 is an
    > advanced receiver.
    > Anyone know how this deal works?

    A DirecTV DVR is an advanced receiver.
    The monthly DVR service fee covers multiple DVRs.
    The additional receiver charge is applied to each receiver after the first.
    A receiver with two tuners is billed one monthly service fee.

    The DVR service charge will be increased to $5.99 if you add an additional DVR.
    The $4.99 monthly DVR service fee is "grandfathered" to current DVR users.

    "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
    > Today's (Sunday) Best Buy ad has the R10 DVR for $100 with $100 rebate.
    > The sale
    > includes existing customers.
    > I'm trying to figure out how this would work for me and if there is an
    > extra
    > $4.99 monthly charge. I already have an R10 and one of the older RCA
    > receivers.
    > I pay $4.95 for the extra receiver and another $4.95 per month for what
    > the DTV
    > bills says is DVR service fee. If I buy this free R10 and quit using the
    > old
    > RCA... do I pay "another" $4.95 DVR monthly service fee? Would it matter
    > if I
    > just used (activated) "one" tuner on the new DVR? So is this deal too good
    > pass up? It does require either a 1 year or a 2 year service obligation.
    > And I
    > can't figure out if it is 1 or 2. Ad states that the service commitment is
    > 2
    > years for "advanced receivers" but doesn't indicate whether the R10 is an
    > advanced receiver.
    > Anyone know how this deal works?

    The ad did say "Programming commitment required". So, yes, it does require
    either 1 or 2 years - probably 2. You may think that you have no intention
    of leaving DTV, so this makes a great value. At first look, yes. But if
    you are currently not under commitment, you can get a much better deal by
    calling retention and negotiating.

    Jim

    Scooby wrote:
    > "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
    >> Today's (Sunday) Best Buy ad has the R10 DVR for $100 with $100 rebate.
    >> The sale
    >> includes existing customers.
    >> I'm trying to figure out how this would work for me and if there is an
    >> extra
    >> $4.99 monthly charge. I already have an R10 and one of the older RCA
    >> receivers.
    >> I pay $4.95 for the extra receiver and another $4.95 per month for what
    >> the DTV
    >> bills says is DVR service fee. If I buy this free R10 and quit using the
    >> old
    >> RCA... do I pay "another" $4.95 DVR monthly service fee? Would it matter
    >> if I
    >> just used (activated) "one" tuner on the new DVR? So is this deal too good
    >> pass up? It does require either a 1 year or a 2 year service obligation.
    >> And I
    >> can't figure out if it is 1 or 2. Ad states that the service commitment is
    >> 2
    >> years for "advanced receivers" but doesn't indicate whether the R10 is an
    >> advanced receiver.
    >> Anyone know how this deal works?
    >>

    > The ad did say "Programming commitment required". So, yes, it does require
    > either 1 or 2 years - probably 2. You may think that you have no intention
    > of leaving DTV, so this makes a great value. At first look, yes. But if
    > you are currently not under commitment, you can get a much better deal by
    > calling retention and negotiating.
    >
    > Jim

    I bought the first R10 in April of 05 after having been a DTV customer for a
    couple of years. I believe the commitment for the R10 was one year so I'm 6
    months into that commitment. If I get the FREE R10 my commitment changes to 2
    years. So the first commitment is superseded and I just have the 2 year
    commitment now. Does that sound right?
    I figure that more than likely I'll be switching over to hi def before those 2
    years conclude but would probably stay with DTV. Actually the worst that could
    happen is that I would have to send the receiver back to DTV. (per the ad) So I
    may head out to Best Buy tomorrow and get another R10. I can run some coax
    myself from the mulit switch. There is a port labeled Rx4 that is not used.

    DanR Wrote:
    > I bought the first R10 in April of 05 after having been a DTV customer
    > for a couple of years. I believe the commitment for the R10 was one
    > year so I'm 6 months into that commitment. If I get the FREE R10 my
    > commitment changes to 2 years. So the first commitment is superseded
    > and I just have the 2 year commitment now. Does that sound right?
    > I figure that more than likely I'll be switching over to hi def before
    > those 2
    > years conclude but would probably stay with DTV. Actually the worst
    > that could happen is that I would have to send the receiver back to
    > DTV. (per the ad) So I may head out to Best Buy tomorrow and get
    > another R10. I can run some coax myself from the mulit switch. There is
    > a port labeled Rx4 that is not used.I just signed up with Directv and got one dual turner DVR along with two
    more standard tuners. Since the DVR service fee includes "all the DVRs"
    and I just committed to service, I think I'm going to get one of DVRs
    from Best Buy too. My only problem is that I'm already using all four
    ports on the multi-switch (two to the DVR and one two each of the
    standard tuners).

    Can I simply buy a 6 port multi-switch and hook up another dual tuner
    DVR? I aleady have twin cables running to each room, and two cables
    coming from the dish. Will a larger multi-switch do the job or do I
    need other hardware.

    Thanks

    --
    tim.s, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

    > I bought the first R10 in April of 05 after having been a DTV customer for
    > couple of years. I believe the commitment for the R10 was one year so I'm
    > 6
    > months into that commitment. If I get the FREE R10 my commitment changes
    > to 2
    > years. So the first commitment is superseded and I just have the 2 year
    > commitment now. Does that sound right?

    Yes, your "new" committment would supercede the old one.

    > I figure that more than likely I'll be switching over to hi def before
    > those 2
    > years conclude but would probably stay with DTV. Actually the worst that
    > could
    > happen is that I would have to send the receiver back to DTV. (per the ad)
    > So I
    > may head out to Best Buy tomorrow and get another R10. I can run some coax
    > myself from the mulit switch. There is a port labeled Rx4 that is not
    > used.

    If you will call Directv and explain, they will match Best Buy and supply
    the proper multiswitch and installation free. A 2 year commitment will
    restart at this point.

    "GB" <gbell57@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you will call Directv and explain, they will match Best Buy and supply
    > the proper multiswitch and installation free. A 2 year commitment will
    > restart at this point.
    >

    > "tim.s" <tim.s.1vlaxy@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message
    >>
    >> DanR Wrote:
    >>> I bought the first R10 in April of 05 after having been a DTV customer
    >>> for a couple of years. I believe the commitment for the R10 was one
    >>> year so I'm 6 months into that commitment. If I get the FREE R10 my
    >>> commitment changes to 2 years. So the first commitment is superseded
    >>> and I just have the 2 year commitment now. Does that sound right?
    >>> I figure that more than likely I'll be switching over to hi def before
    >>> those 2
    >>> years conclude but would probably stay with DTV. Actually the worst
    >>> that could happen is that I would have to send the receiver back to
    >>> DTV. (per the ad) So I may head out to Best Buy tomorrow and get
    >>> another R10. I can run some coax myself from the mulit switch. There is
    >>> a port labeled Rx4 that is not used.I just signed up with Directv and
    >>> got one dual turner DVR along with two
    >> more standard tuners. Since the DVR service fee includes "all the DVRs"
    >> and I just committed to service, I think I'm going to get one of DVRs
    >> from Best Buy too. My only problem is that I'm already using all four
    >> ports on the multi-switch (two to the DVR and one two each of the
    >> standard tuners).
    >>
    >> Can I simply buy a 6 port multi-switch and hook up another dual tuner
    >> DVR? I aleady have twin cables running to each room, and two cables
    >> coming from the dish. Will a larger multi-switch do the job or do I
    >> need other hardware.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> --
    >> tim.s, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

    Are you sure the commitment will restart, rather than be appended to? It
    doesn't make sense that you could do this every couple months if you wanted
    to and keep getting new equipment. I don't believe that the commitment
    states that the particular device will be in use for that time, but rather
    you keep a certain level of service. So, get one now, for free. Next
    month, get one free and give the other one to your brother, next month get
    one free and give the other one to your folks, etc.... So, you will have
    gotten 3 free and only given a 2 year commitment.

    If they don't add on to the current commitment, then they could be making a
    big mistake.

    Just MHO,

    Jim

    > Are you sure the commitment will restart, rather than be appended to? It
    > doesn't make sense that you could do this every couple months if you wanted
    > to and keep getting new equipment. I don't believe that the commitment
    > states that the particular device will be in use for that time, but rather
    > you keep a certain level of service. So, get one now, for free. Next
    > month, get one free and give the other one to your brother, next month get
    > one free and give the other one to your folks, etc.... So, you will have
    > gotten 3 free and only given a 2 year commitment.

    No, actually you would have given a 2 year and 3 month commitment
    (starting from when you got the first one). But your point is good,
    they probably limit it to 1 per person or household. That limit's
    usually pretty easy to get around though, just use a different household
    name (wife, son, etc) or address (business, parent's, whatever).
    They're only concerned about the real offenders, so if the wordings
    there, then they could sue somebody who tried to take big time advantage
    of it.

    > If they don't add on to the current commitment, then they could be making a
    > big mistake.

    You could probably take them for a few units. I think they'd catch on
    after a couple dozen though ;-). It's not too hard for them to track,
    since you have to give them your account each time.

    Randy S.

    Scooby <mmscooby1@removeme.earthlink.net> wrote:
    > Are you sure the commitment will restart, rather than be appended to? It
    > doesn't make sense that you could do this every couple months if you wanted

    It always used to restart; when I fist got DTV I had the 1 year commitment,
    and then 2 months later got my UTV box to replace the standard RCA receiver
    I had, and 1 year commitment restarted.

    > to and keep getting new equipment. I don't believe that the commitment
    > states that the particular device will be in use for that time, but rather
    > you keep a certain level of service. So, get one now, for free. Next

    Yes. Or, if you like, the two commitments run concurrently.

    > month, get one free and give the other one to your brother, next month get
    > one free and give the other one to your folks, etc.... So, you will have
    > gotten 3 free and only given a 2 year commitment.

    2 years 2 months :-)

    However, there may be a limitation on offers per household.

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org

    "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote in message

    > "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
    > > Today's (Sunday) Best Buy ad has the R10 DVR for $100 with $100 rebate.
    The sale
    > > includes existing customers.
    > > I'm trying to figure out how this would work for me and if there is an
    extra
    > > $4.99 monthly charge. I already have an R10 and one of the older RCA
    receivers.
    > > I pay $4.95 for the extra receiver and another $4.95 per month for what
    the DTV
    > > bills says is DVR service fee. If I buy this free R10 and quit using the
    old
    > > RCA... do I pay "another" $4.95 DVR monthly service fee? Would it matter
    if I
    > > just used (activated) "one" tuner on the new DVR? So is this deal too
    good to
    > > pass up? It does require either a 1 year or a 2 year service obligation.
    And I
    > > can't figure out if it is 1 or 2. Ad states that the service commitment
    is 2
    > > years for "advanced receivers" but doesn't indicate whether the R10 is
    an
    > > advanced receiver.
    > > Anyone know how this deal works?
    > >

    > A DirecTV DVR is an advanced receiver.
    > The monthly DVR service fee covers multiple DVRs.
    > The additional receiver charge is applied to each receiver after the
    first.
    > A receiver with two tuners is billed one monthly service fee.
    >
    > The DVR service charge will be increased to $5.99 if you add an additional
    DVR.
    > The $4.99 monthly DVR service fee is "grandfathered" to current DVR users.

    You seem to know the answers, so perhaps you won't mind if I ask you this.
    I have a Series 1 with a lifetime subscription. What happens if I were to
    get the DVR at Best Buy AND keep my Series 1, i.e. have two DVRs?

    "PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message

    > You seem to know the answers, so perhaps you won't mind if I ask you this.
    > I have a Series 1 with a lifetime subscription. What happens if I were to
    > get the DVR at Best Buy AND keep my Series 1, i.e. have two DVRs?

    Standalone with LifeTime? Or DirecTiVo with (grandfathered) LifeTime?
    Considering the thread, I will assume the latter...

    Unless they have changed things recently, your LIfeTime will continue to
    apply as that is per account, and you will be obligated to stay with DirecTV
    for 2 more years (like everybody else).

    In article <tim.s.1vlaxy@satelliteguys.us>, tim.s <tim.s.1vlaxy@satelliteguys.us> wrote:

    >DanR Wrote:
    >> I bought the first R10 in April of 05 after having been a DTV customer
    >> for a couple of years. I believe the commitment for the R10 was one
    >> year so I'm 6 months into that commitment. If I get the FREE R10 my
    >> commitment changes to 2 years. So the first commitment is superseded
    >> and I just have the 2 year commitment now. Does that sound right?
    >> I figure that more than likely I'll be switching over to hi def before
    >> those 2
    >> years conclude but would probably stay with DTV. Actually the worst
    >> that could happen is that I would have to send the receiver back to
    >> DTV. (per the ad) So I may head out to Best Buy tomorrow and get
    >> another R10. I can run some coax myself from the mulit switch. There is
    >> a port labeled Rx4 that is not used.I just signed up with Directv and got one
    > dual turner DVR along with two
    >more standard tuners. Since the DVR service fee includes "all the DVRs"
    >and I just committed to service, I think I'm going to get one of DVRs
    >from Best Buy too. My only problem is that I'm already using all four
    >ports on the multi-switch (two to the DVR and one two each of the
    >standard tuners).
    >
    >Can I simply buy a 6 port multi-switch and hook up another dual tuner
    >DVR? I aleady have twin cables running to each room, and two cables
    >coming from the dish. Will a larger multi-switch do the job or do I
    >need other hardware.
    >
    >Thanks

    Yes, just get a multiswitch with more outputs

    "PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message news:3p8lloF9726lU1@individual.net...

    > "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
    > > > Today's (Sunday) Best Buy ad has the R10 DVR for $100 with $100 rebate.
    > The sale
    > > > includes existing customers.
    > > > I'm trying to figure out how this would work for me and if there is an
    > extra
    > > > $4.99 monthly charge. I already have an R10 and one of the older RCA
    > receivers.
    > > > I pay $4.95 for the extra receiver and another $4.95 per month for what
    > the DTV
    > > > bills says is DVR service fee. If I buy this free R10 and quit using the
    > old
    > > > RCA... do I pay "another" $4.95 DVR monthly service fee? Would it matter
    > if I
    > > > just used (activated) "one" tuner on the new DVR? So is this deal too
    > good to
    > > > pass up? It does require either a 1 year or a 2 year service obligation.
    > And I
    > > > can't figure out if it is 1 or 2. Ad states that the service commitment
    > is 2
    > > > years for "advanced receivers" but doesn't indicate whether the R10 is
    > an
    > > > advanced receiver.
    > > > Anyone know how this deal works?
    > > >

    > > A DirecTV DVR is an advanced receiver.
    > > The monthly DVR service fee covers multiple DVRs.
    > > The additional receiver charge is applied to each receiver after the
    > first.
    > > A receiver with two tuners is billed one monthly service fee.
    > >
    > > The DVR service charge will be increased to $5.99 if you add an additional
    > DVR.
    > > The $4.99 monthly DVR service fee is "grandfathered" to current DVR users.
    >
    > You seem to know the answers, so perhaps you won't mind if I ask you this.
    > I have a Series 1 with a lifetime subscription. What happens if I were to
    > get the DVR at Best Buy AND keep my Series 1, i.e. have two DVRs?

    It depends on where and when you purchased the "Series 1". DirecTV has
    never marketed a DirecTV DVR with Series1 branding. All "Series1" TiVos
    are standalone TiVos. IIRC, TiVo never marketed a "Series1" either.
    TiVo DVRs prior to Series2 availability are commonly referred to as Series1.

    Assuming you are referring to a DirecTV DVR with TiVo, you must have owned
    that TiVo prior to the time DirecTV stopped offering lifetime subscriptions to
    have a valid lifetime DVR service subscription.

    If you purchased a previously used DVR *with* a lifetime subscription, DirecTV
    likely has no record of that lifetime subscription. Check your DirecTV bill for
    the status of DVR service.

    Call DirecTV and ask the question about the DVR lifetime subscription. If you purchased
    the lifetime subscription from DirecTV, it should cover TiVo service on an additional DVR.
    DirecTV transferred lifetime subscriptions from the machine to the customer account
    when lifetime subscription offers ended.

    > It depends on where and when you purchased the "Series 1". DirecTV has
    > never marketed a DirecTV DVR with Series1 branding. All "Series1"
    > TiVos are standalone TiVos. IIRC, TiVo never marketed a "Series1"
    > either. TiVo DVRs prior to Series2 availability are commonly referred to
    > as Series1.

    Actually, NOBODY ever 'marketed' a TiVo with 'Series1 branding'. Sort of
    like how coins minted in ancient Egypt don't say "BC" on them.

    Not all Series1 boxes are standalones.

    "Howard" <stile99@email.com> wrote in message news:Xns96D6B98CCA0F1stile@129.250.170.88...
    > "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote in
    >
    > > It depends on where and when you purchased the "Series 1". DirecTV has
    > > never marketed a DirecTV DVR with Series1 branding. All "Series1"
    > > TiVos are standalone TiVos. IIRC, TiVo never marketed a "Series1"
    > > either. TiVo DVRs prior to Series2 availability are commonly referred to
    > > as Series1.
    >
    > Actually, NOBODY ever 'marketed' a TiVo with 'Series1 branding'. Sort of
    > like how coins minted in ancient Egypt don't say "BC" on them.
    >
    > Not all Series1 boxes are standalones.

    Is that "Series1" or "Series 1"? How about "first generation" as DirecTV uses?

    Maybe folks should use BS2 as in Before Series2.

    Reference a TiVo or DirecTV web page which refers to a DirecTV DVR
    as a Series2. TiVo uses "Series2" branding to market the second generation
    standalone DVR. "Series2" is a registered service mark for the TiVo DVR,
    or was several years ago when I first looked it up.

    Using "Series2" to refer to DirecTV DVRs as well as TiVo branded standalone
    DVRs has confused many people.

    Not all cameras are "Brownies" either, but years ago people called their
    non-Eastman Kodak brand camera a "Brownie", and referred to brands other
    than Kodak as a "Kodak". I suspect that people may refer to any DVR as a TiVo.

    Of course this debate will soon be mute when DirecTV stops marketing the
    TiVo designed satellite receiver with two tuners.

    On 2005-09-20, Jack Ak <akjack@excite.com> wrote:

    > Using "Series2" to refer to DirecTV DVRs as well as TiVo branded standalone
    > DVRs has confused many people.

    Just because there are easily confused people out there doesn't mean we
    need to stop using our basically agreed upon nomenclature.

    > Of course this debate will soon be mute when DirecTV stops marketing the
    > TiVo designed satellite receiver with two tuners.

    For certain definitions of "soon" perhaps but most likely not since if
    DirecTV does stop selling boxes with TiVo technology, I would guess the
    DirecTiVos (both series 1 and series 2) would became quite the hot
    commodity on places like ebay.

    --
    This is my .sig

Ptv Tivo DVR