Article on 2-D Gaming in new Nintendo Power

I don't know how many of us get a chance to read Nintendo Power
(I'm still a proud subscriber since 1989), but there's a great
article in there about the decline of 2-D gaming. It was an interesting
read, since NP has a reputation for being a very biased magazine.
There was a lot of stuff they had a hard time putting a positive
spin on... for example, they couldn't deny the fact that they ditched
2-D in favor of 3-D, just like Sega and Sony did. The article
also commented that there was a big demand growing to bring back
2-D, but realistically, it wasn't likely.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
16 answers Last reply
More about article gaming nintendo power

    Did the article say "why" it wasn't likely? The only reason I can think of
    is that Nintendo is afraid of being ridiculed by the competition and game
    mags. Gamers would still play the games if they were fun and innovative.
    What we don't need is a complete return to the NES days where too many games
    played the same with different sprites.

    Dane.

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote in message
    > I don't know how many of us get a chance to read Nintendo Power
    > (I'm still a proud subscriber since 1989), but there's a great
    > article in there about the decline of 2-D gaming. It was an interesting
    > read, since NP has a reputation for being a very biased magazine.
    > There was a lot of stuff they had a hard time putting a positive
    > spin on... for example, they couldn't deny the fact that they ditched
    > 2-D in favor of 3-D, just like Sega and Sony did. The article
    > also commented that there was a big demand growing to bring back
    > 2-D, but realistically, it wasn't likely.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Aaron J. Bossig
    >
    > http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    > http://www.dvdverdict.com
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in

    > Did the article say "why" it wasn't likely? The only reason I can
    > think of is that Nintendo is afraid of being ridiculed by the
    > competition and game mags. Gamers would still play the games if they
    > were fun and innovative. What we don't need is a complete return to
    > the NES days where too many games played the same with different
    > sprites.
    >
    > Dane.

    I agree. I'm still very much a fan of 2D gaming. The games are a little
    more simplistic in style and control and make for an easier time to get
    into the game. I still think the DS will have a large tie to 2D gaming
    (New SMB, anyone?) which is why I own one. A lot of the great games out
    on it are 2D. Kirby, Feel the Magic, Mr Driller, Bomberman, Nanostray,
    etc... and a lot of great 2D games are still on the way, Trauma Center,
    Lunar, Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, etc...

    Honestly, I'd like to see SNES games emulated on the DS in the fashion
    that Nintendo did with the Classic NES series for GBA. I'd love to play
    some Super Metroid on the go.

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in

    > Did the article say "why" it wasn't likely? The only reason I can
    > think of is that Nintendo is afraid of being ridiculed by the
    > competition and game mags.

    Mostly, the reason is that the industry as a whole doesn't think 2-D
    will sell when there is a 3-D alternative. That explains the GBA's success
    in 2-D games. Also, developers are being pressured to take full advantage
    of new technology, and while 2-D games may do that, it's harder to show
    the extra effort in real-world terms.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > Honestly, I'd like to see SNES games emulated on the DS in the fashion
    > that Nintendo did with the Classic NES series for GBA. I'd love to play
    > some Super Metroid on the go.

    Ever heard of snesDS?

    http://home.utah.edu/~u0422123/snesDS/

    It still needs a lot of work being done but some Games like
    SMW / TMNT / Earthbound are working very well (fullspeed)

    (btw: snesDS.. that's why I bought a DS :-) )

    -- Adrian
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Chuck Whitby wrote:

    > Indulge me, for I have never delved into the GBA flash cart scene - how
    > does this snesDS work?

    IT'S FUNNY THAT WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE THIS YOU TELL ME TO USE
    GOOGLE AND FIND IT MYSELF.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Adrian Ulrich <adrian_200503@blinkenlights.ch> wrote in

    > Ever heard of snesDS?
    >
    > http://home.utah.edu/~u0422123/snesDS/
    >
    > It still needs a lot of work being done but some Games like
    > SMW / TMNT / Earthbound are working very well (fullspeed)
    >
    > (btw: snesDS.. that's why I bought a DS :-) )
    >

    > -- Adrian

    Indulge me, for I have never delved into the GBA flash cart scene - how
    does this snesDS work?

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder
    East Coast Gaming Expo
    http://www.ecgxpo.com
    "It's the games"
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Chuck Whitby wrote:

    > I just did a brief Google Groups (Deja... why did you sell out...) search
    > and I didn't see anything in the last few months of me telling you to
    > Google for anything.

    Here's at least one. Thank you very much, have a nice day:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.classic/browse_frm/thread/33d5519ca8a57695/5637126fb24b4e9b?lnk=st&q=google+space+boss+chuck+whitby&rnum=2&hl=en#5637126fb24b4e9b
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Chuck Whitby wrote:

    > You had to go back OVER A YEAR for that one post. That doesn't constitute
    > "WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE THIS..."

    Doesn't matter Chuck. There is hypocrisy and double standards at work
    here even if I had to go back SIX years.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Chuck Whitby wrote:
    > "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in
    >

    > > Chuck Whitby wrote:
    > >

    > >> You had to go back OVER A YEAR for that one post. That doesn't
    > >> constitute "WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE THIS..."
    > >>

    > > Doesn't matter Chuck. There is hypocrisy and double standards at work
    > > here even if I had to go back SIX years.
    > >

    > I bet you think that the Kennedy assassination was plotted by the FBI
    > too. Conspiracies all around me!
    >
    > I will once again restate my point - one comment made in a timeframe of
    > over 1.3 years does not constitute "WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE
    > THIS..."
    >
    > You've asked numerous questions since May of '04 and many I've either
    > honestly answered, completely ignored, mocked you, or some combination of
    > the 3 (was:re:impending game compilations), based upon either my
    > knowledge of the subject matter or my current attitude towards the
    > universe.

    So you aren't apologize?
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > Chuck Whitby wrote:
    >

    >> Indulge me, for I have never delved into the GBA flash cart scene - how
    >> does this snesDS work?
    >>

    > IT'S FUNNY THAT WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE THIS YOU TELL ME TO USE
    > GOOGLE AND FIND IT MYSELF.

    Have I?

    I just did a brief Google Groups (Deja... why did you sell out...) search
    and I didn't see anything in the last few months of me telling you to
    Google for anything.

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder
    East Coast Gaming Expo
    http://www.ecgxpo.com
    "It's the games"
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > Chuck Whitby wrote:
    >

    >> I just did a brief Google Groups (Deja... why did you sell out...)
    >> search and I didn't see anything in the last few months of me telling
    >> you to Google for anything.
    >>

    > Here's at least one. Thank you very much, have a nice day:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.classic/browse_frm/threa
    > d/33d5519ca8a57695/5637126fb24b4e9b?lnk=st&q=google+space+boss+chuck+wh
    > itby&rnum=2&hl=en#5637126fb24b4e9b

    You had to go back OVER A YEAR for that one post. That doesn't constitute
    "WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE THIS..."

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder
    East Coast Gaming Expo
    http://www.ecgxpo.com
    "It's the games"
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in

    > Chuck Whitby wrote:
    >

    >> You had to go back OVER A YEAR for that one post. That doesn't
    >> constitute "WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE THIS..."
    >>

    > Doesn't matter Chuck. There is hypocrisy and double standards at work
    > here even if I had to go back SIX years.

    I bet you think that the Kennedy assassination was plotted by the FBI
    too. Conspiracies all around me!

    I will once again restate my point - one comment made in a timeframe of
    over 1.3 years does not constitute "WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE
    THIS..."

    You've asked numerous questions since May of '04 and many I've either
    honestly answered, completely ignored, mocked you, or some combination of
    the 3 (was:re:impending game compilations), based upon either my
    knowledge of the subject matter or my current attitude towards the
    universe.

    Also: You're a dingus.

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    > Indulge me, for I have never delved into the GBA flash cart scene - how
    > does this snesDS work?

    It's a normal Emulator like snes9x... (well.. snesDS needs to be
    coded in almost 100% ASM ;-) )

    The hard part is to get your DS booting Homebrew Stuff,
    like snesDS, DS-Linux ,etc..

    You'll need a 'PassMe' or 'WifiMe' for this (1. google hit).
    The Forum at dsdev.org has also great information about Homebrew
    development.

    ATM snesDS is far from beeing perfect, but some Games are working
    like a charm.. and: There's also a NES emulator for the GBA from
    the same authors: http://pocketnes.org/

    PocketNES was also used in a Official-GBA game 'developed' by
    Jaleco.. (guess what: a NES remake) ;-)

    http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=965

    -- Adrian
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > Chuck Whitby wrote:
    >> "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in

    >> > Doesn't matter Chuck. There is hypocrisy and double standards at
    >> > work here even if I had to go back SIX years.
    >> >

    >> I bet you think that the Kennedy assassination was plotted by the FBI
    >> too. Conspiracies all around me!
    >>
    >> I will once again restate my point - one comment made in a timeframe
    >> of over 1.3 years does not constitute "WHENEVER I ASK A QUESTION LIKE
    >> THIS..."
    >>
    >> You've asked numerous questions since May of '04 and many I've either
    >> honestly answered, completely ignored, mocked you, or some
    >> combination of the 3 (was:re:impending game compilations), based upon
    >> either my knowledge of the subject matter or my current attitude
    >> towards the universe.
    >
    > So you aren't apologize?

    No, I "aren't apologize."

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    In article <Xns96CF2206F7F2Echucktoomanygamescom@199.45.49.11>,
    Chuck Whitby <chuck@toomanygames.com> wrote:

    > > So you aren't apologize?
    > >

    > No, I "aren't apologize."

    All your base are belong to us.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in
    >
    >> Did the article say "why" it wasn't likely? The only reason I can
    >> think of is that Nintendo is afraid of being ridiculed by the
    >> competition and game mags.
    >

    > Mostly, the reason is that the industry as a whole doesn't think 2-D
    > will sell when there is a 3-D alternative. That explains the GBA's
    > success
    > in 2-D games. Also, developers are being pressured to take full advantage
    > of new technology, and while 2-D games may do that, it's harder to show
    > the extra effort in real-world terms.

    The reasons why 2D games declined are that the main improvements one can
    make with 2D is:
    1) Higher resolutions artwork
    2) More frames of animation

    These two not only take more time to create since it's manually done (a lot
    of automation can be done with 3D stuff and a lot
    of things like character models can be created once unlike 2D), but they
    also require more memory than 3D games if it couldn't be streamed
    off the media with the access time and throughput of cartridges.

    > --
    >
    > Aaron J. Bossig
    >
    > http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    > http://www.dvdverdict.com