Can you record one show and playback another ?

I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?
Can I play back a previously recorded show at the same time it is recording
a new show?
Right now I have the Replay hooked to input 1 and the regular cable hooked
to input 2 on my TV. If I want to watch something else I just change the
input, but I would like to be able to watch something I recorded while it is
recording something new.

Thanks

Bill
simard@nycap.rr.com

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
11 answers Last reply
More about record show playback

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:29:35 -0400, "Bill" <simard@nycap.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
    >record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?

    Yes, just not using THAT REPLAY. The Replay can encode only one input
    at a time.

    Note that since using the Replay to buffer live TV is actually BOTH
    record and play, you would be asking the Replay to do TWO recordings
    at once. It won't do that.

    >Can I play back a previously recorded show at the same time it is recording
    >a new show?

    Yes. Replay can record and play simultaneously (that's actually
    happening when you use the Replay to watch live TV). They can be
    separate shows if you want.

    Note that if the Replay COULDN'T do that, automatic recording would
    become unusable. You'd have to be VERY CAREFUL about when you play
    something, to avoid conflicts with something recording.

    >Right now I have the Replay hooked to input 1 and the regular cable hooked
    >to input 2 on my TV. If I want to watch something else I just change the
    >input, but I would like to be able to watch something I recorded while it is
    >recording something new.

    There is no problem with that. That is what Replay does (in dependant
    simultaneous record and playback).

    >Thanks
    >
    >Bill
    >simard@nycap.rr.com
    >

    >http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    Bill wrote:
    > I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
    > record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?

    No, not through the Replay. You can of course use your TV's regular
    tuner to watch something else.

    > Can I play back a previously recorded show at the same time it is recording
    > a new show?

    Yes, but it can make your hard drive chatter as it struggles between
    seeking to read your old show and seeking to write your new show. It
    isn't too noticeable with low quality recordings, but very noticeable
    with high quality recordings. The Replay may also respond slowly to
    remote control commands.

    > Right now I have the Replay hooked to input 1 and the regular cable hooked
    > to input 2 on my TV. If I want to watch something else I just change the
    > input, but I would like to be able to watch something I recorded while it is
    > recording something new.

    The latter should "just work" with the caveats noted above. Just press
    Replay Guide and choose something to watch. It should work regardless
    of whether anything is recording at the moment.

    --
    I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
    legitimate replies.

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:54:44 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:29:35 -0400, "Bill" <simard@nycap.rr.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
    >>record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?
    >
    >Yes, just not using THAT REPLAY. The Replay can encode only one input
    >at a time.
    >
    >Note that since using the Replay to buffer live TV is actually BOTH
    >record and play, you would be asking the Replay to do TWO recordings
    >at once. It won't do that.
    >
    >>Can I play back a previously recorded show at the same time it is recording
    >>a new show?
    >
    >Yes. Replay can record and play simultaneously (that's actually
    >happening when you use the Replay to watch live TV). They can be
    >separate shows if you want.
    >
    >Note that if the Replay COULDN'T do that, automatic recording would
    >become unusable. You'd have to be VERY CAREFUL about when you play
    >something, to avoid conflicts with something recording.
    >
    >>Right now I have the Replay hooked to input 1 and the regular cable hooked
    >>to input 2 on my TV. If I want to watch something else I just change the
    >>input, but I would like to be able to watch something I recorded while it is
    >>recording something new.
    >>

    >There is no problem with that. That is what Replay does (in dependant
    >simultaneous record and playback).

    Somehow, my spelling checked stuck an extra space in "independant",
    making it more confusing.

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:29:35 -0400, "Bill" <simard@nycap.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >>I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
    >>record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?

    > Yes, just not using THAT REPLAY. The Replay can encode only one input
    > at a time.

    Just to clarify, you're not saying that some other model of ReplayTV
    lets you record one show while watching live TV on another channel at
    the same time, right?

    By "THAT REPLAY" are you thinking about separate, networked units that
    can schedule recordings on each other?

    --
    I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
    legitimate replies.

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:52:43 GMT, Victor Kan
    <victor@usenet.NO_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:29:35 -0400, "Bill" <simard@nycap.rr.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>>I have an older Replay model PHVS2000 I think, and I was wondering if I can
    >>>record one show and watch live TV on another channel at the same time?
    >
    >> Yes, just not using THAT REPLAY. The Replay can encode only one input
    >> at a time.
    >
    >Just to clarify, you're not saying that some other model of ReplayTV
    >lets you record one show while watching live TV on another channel at
    >the same time, right?

    No. All models are the same that way . Among other things, you could
    do it if you had 2 Replays, of just use the TV to watch TV.

    >By "THAT REPLAY" are you thinking about separate, networked units that
    >can schedule recordings on each other?

    When one unit is used to schedule a recording on another unit, that
    unit is now finished with it (leaving the second Replay to do the
    recording). You could then use your first Replay to watch live TV
    (assuming it wasn't being used to record something else).

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:42:44 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >No. All models are the same that way . Among other things, you could
    >do it if you had 2 Replays, of just use the TV to watch TV.

    I never used the RF out but I assumed there was some bypass lilke the
    TV/VCR switch on a VCR. I agree it would take some extra hardware to
    output to the A/V jacks or S-Video.

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:05:02 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:42:44 -0500, Mark Lloyd
    ><mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >>No. All models are the same that way . Among other things, you could
    >>do it if you had 2 Replays, of just use the TV to watch TV.
    >

    >I never used the RF out but I assumed there was some bypass lilke the
    >TV/VCR switch on a VCR. I agree it would take some extra hardware to
    >output to the A/V jacks or S-Video.

    I never use RF out either, considering that if provides the lowest
    quality signal. Anyway, if you're using the TV to watch TV, there's no
    need to have the signal going through the Replay.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    I use a number of different outupts depending on what I am watching on
    (TV near the main computer for example has AV in jacks, so I use aV out,
    TV in Living room does not so it gets RF, VCR in living room does so it
    gets AV, Likewise the tv and vcr in the bedroom)

    There are two lights on the front of the replay, A Red RECORD indicator
    and a blue POWER indicator... The blue light need not be on for the unit
    to perform a scheduled recording... If you want to record one show and
    watch another live, Program the recording in advance, leave the Replay
    "Off" and it will record... Like a VCR in timer controled record mode it
    will pass the RF on to the tv so it can watch something else.

    NOTE: if you are watching on cable you may need seperate cable boxes for
    the replay and the TV, in this case AV to the tv is the way to go

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:31:14 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >I use a number of different outupts depending on what I am watching on
    >(TV near the main computer for example has AV in jacks, so I use aV out,
    >TV in Living room does not so it gets RF, VCR in living room does so it
    >gets AV, Likewise the tv and vcr in the bedroom)

    I will use the RF output, but only if there's no choice.

    >There are two lights on the front of the replay, A Red RECORD indicator
    >and a blue POWER indicator...

    The older Replays had a third light called "new content", although
    it's function was inconsistent with the name. If several new shows had
    been recorded, the light would go out when you watch the first of
    them.

    > The blue light need not be on for the unit
    > to perform a scheduled recording...

    Because it's only partially a POWER indicator. "off" is not really
    OFF.

    > If you want to record one show and
    >watch another live, Program the recording in advance, leave the Replay
    >"Off" and it will record...

    "off" or "on" is irrelevant, unlike a VCR which has to be "off".

    > Like a VCR in timer controled record mode it
    >will pass the RF on to the tv so it can watch something else.

    Which also means you're probably using the low-quality RF output for
    Replay playback.

    >NOTE: if you are watching on cable you may need seperate cable boxes for
    >the replay and the TV, in this case AV to the tv is the way to go

    Yes. Also, make sure the first cable box (the one connected to the
    Replay) will not respond to IR from it's own control. That can easily
    mess up recordings.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    I said
    >>The blue light need not be on for the unit
    >> to perform a scheduled recording...

    You Replied

    > Because it's only partially a POWER indicator. "off" is not really
    > OFF.

    Think of the blue light as "RF-Output On" and you are close

    yes, it's true a Replay, so long as it's getting power, "sleeps with one
    eye open"
    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:03:19 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >I said
    >>>The blue light need not be on for the unit
    >>> to perform a scheduled recording...
    >>
    >You Replied
    >

    >> Because it's only partially a POWER indicator. "off" is not really
    >> OFF.

    Yes, closer. Functions of the power switch:

    1. Controls the blue LED.

    2. Controls power to the outputs (and nothing else). This includes all
    outputs, including RF and AV.

    3. Enables buffering of live TV .

    4. Affects remote-control state machine (when "off" will accept
    nothing put "power").

    5. Enables hard disk spindown

    #3 and #5 are unique to the Replay. A VCR would have #1, #2, and #4.
    For a TV, it would be the same plus the display device itself (such as
    CRT or LCD).

    >Think of the blue light as "RF-Output On" and you are close
    >
    >yes, it's true a Replay, so long as it's getting power, "sleeps with one
    >eye open"

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com