Service Activation Coupon Codes?

I know it's unlikely and I've already searched the web, but is there a
coupon code for service activation?

I just bought a never-used 5040 that had an infrared problem. I
resoldered the board and it's working fine with a new 160gb drive
(except for an apparently dead modem).

Incidentally, I hesitate to get the lifetime since I expect to go HDTV
within two years. Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks, Jeff
9 answers Last reply
More about service activation coupon codes

    On 12 Sep 2005 08:26:43 -0700, nomadjones@gmail.com wrote:

    >I know it's unlikely and I've already searched the web, but is there a
    >coupon code for service activation?

    Not that I know of. There should be a menu option that tells you what
    to do to activate.

    >I just bought a never-used 5040 that had an infrared problem. I
    >resoldered the board and it's working fine with a new 160gb drive
    >(except for an apparently dead modem).
    >
    >Incidentally, I hesitate to get the lifetime since I expect to go HDTV
    >within two years. Any thoughts on that one?

    I got a lifetime activation, but that was over 2 years ago when HDTV
    wasn't so close.

    You're supposed to be allowed to transfer activation from one Replay
    to another, but have not heard anything about how to get that done.

    I expect to be interested in the new HD Replay, even without the
    versatility we've has with the older ones (baseband inputs, can
    connect any video source). Maybe it'll use CableCard. I hope it will
    be networkable.

    >Thanks, Jeff

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    nomadjones@gmail.com wrote in news:1126538803.478280.225150
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I know it's unlikely and I've already searched the web, but is there a
    > coupon code for service activation?
    >
    > I just bought a never-used 5040 that had an infrared problem. I
    > resoldered the board and it's working fine with a new 160gb drive
    > (except for an apparently dead modem).
    >
    > Incidentally, I hesitate to get the lifetime since I expect to go HDTV
    > within two years. Any thoughts on that one?
    >
    > Thanks, Jeff

    I would still get the lifetime subscription (and no, never heard of any
    dscounts or coupons for a first RTV unit either monthly or lifetime).
    Then in two years sell the unit, it is a 50xx series not a 55xx series
    and with the lifetime activation it should hold it's value and you can
    recover most of the activation, versus paying the monthly and not
    having that additional "equity" when you sell it.

    On the other hand, if you do not plan to sell and and will just dump it,
    then maybe the monthly makes sense; two years is close to the break-
    even point using a linear equation.

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> writes:

    >You're supposed to be allowed to transfer activation from one Replay
    >to another, but have not heard anything about how to get that done.

    According to the rep, this is only if the original box is defective and you send it back to Replay to get it fixed and they deem it as defective. They used to have a program where activation was truly lifetime, meaning you could transfer it between units, but no longer.

    hdiwan wrote:
    > Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> writes:
    >

    >>You're supposed to be allowed to transfer activation from one Replay
    >>to another, but have not heard anything about how to get that done.
    >

    > According to the rep, this is only if the original box is defective and you send it back to Replay to get it fixed and they deem it as defective. They used to have a program where activation was truly lifetime, meaning you could transfer it between units, but no longer.

    AND if you call back and get another rep, you'll get "Sure, I can do
    that for you."

    Some people on the AVS forum still report success with transfers, others
    not.

    I did it on one of my original ReplayTV boxes (no network). I
    purchased a new unit and called the 800 number and said I wanted to
    transfer my lifetime agreement from the old box to the new box. I
    gave them the numbers from the boxes and was good to go in about 6
    minutes.

    Also I noticed that the old box is still working but since it doesn't
    network, I don't use it anymore.

    HDTVman

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > On 12 Sep 2005 08:26:43 -0700, nomadjones@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >>I know it's unlikely and I've already searched the web, but is there a
    >>coupon code for service activation?
    >>

    > Not that I know of. There should be a menu option that tells you what
    > to do to activate.
    >

    >>I just bought a never-used 5040 that had an infrared problem. I
    >>resoldered the board and it's working fine with a new 160gb drive
    >>(except for an apparently dead modem).
    >>
    >>Incidentally, I hesitate to get the lifetime since I expect to go HDTV
    >>within two years. Any thoughts on that one?
    >>

    > I got a lifetime activation, but that was over 2 years ago when HDTV
    > wasn't so close.
    >
    > You're supposed to be allowed to transfer activation from one Replay
    > to another, but have not heard anything about how to get that done.

    Take the EEPROM out of the old one and solder it in the new one? If you
    know what you're doing...

    hdiwan wrote:
    > Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> writes:
    >

    >>You're supposed to be allowed to transfer activation from one Replay
    >>to another, but have not heard anything about how to get that done.
    >

    > According to the rep, this is only if the original box is defective and you send it back to Replay to get it fixed and they deem it as defective. They used to have a program where activation was truly lifetime, meaning you could transfer it between units, but no longer.
    Any ideas on what made them stop? People abusing it?

    >> I got a lifetime activation, but that was over 2 years ago when HDTV
    >> wasn't so close.
    >>
    >> You're supposed to be allowed to transfer activation from one Replay
    >> to another, but have not heard anything about how to get that done.
    >>
    > Take the EEPROM out of the old one and solder it in the new one? If you
    > know what you're doing...

    Except for late 50XX and 55XX, the eprom is socketed.

    Tony D wrote:

    >>> I got a lifetime activation, but that was over 2 years ago when HDTV
    >>> wasn't so close.
    >>>
    >>> You're supposed to be allowed to transfer activation from one Replay
    >>> to another, but have not heard anything about how to get that done.
    >>>
    >> Take the EEPROM out of the old one and solder it in the new one? If
    >> you know what you're doing...
    >

    > Except for late 50XX and 55XX, the eprom is socketed.

    Socketed as in not soldered? This makes it even easier!

Ptv Replaytv ReplayTV