Recording without subscription

Need to record specific local news programs M-F and S-S, same time,
every day. Only use for the system. Will any TiVo rigs permit recording
without a subscription?

Don't want to consider turning a PC into a DVR, as this has to work
unattended and be usable by volunteers who are not techies.

Thank you kindly.
9 answers Last reply
More about recording subscription

    "John Bartley" <john.bartley@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Need to record specific local news programs M-F and S-S, same time,
    > every day. Only use for the system. Will any TiVo rigs permit recording
    > without a subscription?
    >
    > Don't want to consider turning a PC into a DVR, as this has to work
    > unattended and be usable by volunteers who are not techies.

    This is a perfect application for a VCR, if the program is on a TV channel.
    If it's an FM broadcast, you'll have to add an FM tuner to the VCR.

    Norm Strong

    On 15 Sep 2005 09:32:16 -0700, "John Bartley"
    <john.bartley@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Need to record specific local news programs M-F and S-S, same time,
    >every day. Only use for the system. Will any TiVo rigs permit recording
    >without a subscription?
    >
    >Don't want to consider turning a PC into a DVR, as this has to work
    >unattended and be usable by volunteers who are not techies.
    >
    >Thank you kindly.

    Only with a TIVO series 1

    Thank you, Jack. Accurate and to the point.

    On 15 Sep 2005 09:32:16 -0700, "John Bartley"
    <john.bartley@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Need to record specific local news programs M-F and S-S, same time,
    >every day. Only use for the system. Will any TiVo rigs permit recording
    >without a subscription?
    >
    >Don't want to consider turning a PC into a DVR, as this has to work
    >unattended and be usable by volunteers who are not techies.
    >
    >Thank you kindly.

    All you need for this is a DVDR (DVD Recorder) with an internal hard
    drive. Set the tuner for the same time every day record feature, and
    when the hard drive is full, download to DVDs. Lite-on makes the DVDR
    sold at Wal-mart under the ilo brand name. It has an 80 GB hard drive,
    which at EP mode is good for something like 80 hours of recorded
    video. This mode is slightly better than the highest quality VHS
    recordings, IMO. For higher quality recordings, you will get
    proportionately less recording time.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:13:27 -0700, <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:
    >This is a perfect application for a VCR, if the program is on a TV channel.
    >If it's an FM broadcast, you'll have to add an FM tuner to the VCR.

    Norm, there are several previously unstated reasons why a VCR was considered and
    rejected.

    VCRs wear out and need maintenance far more often than PVRs. Heads wear out when
    used on the same tape. Tapes break. Tapes need to be changed. Tapes need to be
    trracked. Dubbing from tape to tape to preserve the needed content loses quality
    rapidly. Searching through the program for relevant content is much slower.

    If a VCR was accceptable, we'd be using it, because they're cheaper... but not
    cost-effective when the labor issues are considered.

    Please folks, let's stay on track here. Please *only* reply about PVRs, not
    PC-based solutions or VCRs.

    Thank you kindly.

    --
    John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
    "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

    "John Bartley" <john.bartley@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126801936.360167.8260@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Need to record specific local news programs M-F and S-S, same time,
    > every day. Only use for the system. Will any TiVo rigs permit recording
    >
    > Don't want to consider turning a PC into a DVR, as this has to work
    > unattended and be usable by volunteers who are not techies.

    TiVo DVD recorders come with TiVo Basic service which will meet
    your needs. Consider the DVD recorder as a bonus feature.

    http://www.tivo.com/2.1.4.asp

    On 2005-09-15, Jack Ak <akjack@excite.com> wrote:

    > "John Bartley" <john.bartley@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126801936.360167.8260@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    >> Need to record specific local news programs M-F and S-S, same time,
    >> every day. Only use for the system. Will any TiVo rigs permit recording
    >> without a subscription?
    >>
    >> Don't want to consider turning a PC into a DVR, as this has to work
    >> unattended and be usable by volunteers who are not techies.
    >>

    > TiVo DVD recorders come with TiVo Basic service which will meet
    > your needs. Consider the DVD recorder as a bonus feature.
    >
    > http://www.tivo.com/2.1.4.asp

    Except for the Humax (Pioneer and Toshiba only).

    Also, the Toshiba SD-H400 DVD player/TiVo (my model) comes with Basic and is
    much less expensive, but TiVo-to-Go (and a sub) is needed to archive digitally
    without hacking. Haven't seen that one around lately.

    Jim

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:32:16 -0700, John Bartley wrote:

    > Need to record specific local news programs M-F and S-S, same time,
    > every day. Only use for the system. Will any TiVo rigs permit recording
    > without a subscription?

    Old series one units and newer units that have Tivo basic, although I'm
    not sure if the units with Tivo Basic will allow manual season passes. S1
    units will. Other alternatives, any of a half dozen or more non Tivo
    PVR's, and any basic DVD recorder, although with limited space.

    On 15 Sep 2005 09:32:16 -0700, John Bartley wrote:

    > Need to record specific local news programs M-F and S-S, same time,
    > every day. Only use for the system. Will any TiVo rigs permit recording
    > without a subscription?
    >
    > Don't want to consider turning a PC into a DVR, as this has to work
    > unattended and be usable by volunteers who are not techies.
    >
    > Thank you kindly.

    A DVD Recorder can do this. Use DVD-RW and you will be able to reuse them.

    Brad H

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video