Directv D10 receivers

I've read all the info on this whole scene and how the serial port
doesn't work on some models and has been inactivated by Directv on
others. My question is why doesn't ReplayTV offer IR control of these
boxes??? I can't believe that is hard for them to do. It is basically
like programming a universal remote and shoving into their database of
codes. They support all kinds of boxes, I don't get it.
15 answers Last reply
More about directv d10 receivers

    -On the legal front, I don't buy it. They have codes out there for
    every major manufacturer and every universal remote uses the same
    codes. Not an issue. There is no patent or copyright of IR codes.

    -On not been able to figure out the codes- there is nothing to figure
    out. You buy/borrow a remote and transfer the code. I can do it with my
    Philips Pronto and software and turn them in the IR hex codes. As I
    said, universal remotes support them and they got the codes from
    somewhere.

    -On the update front, that may well be true. However, I don't know how
    you can plan to sell new product (which they are still in the stores
    and on the web) if you aren't going to support a widely used device.
    If they were no longer selling Replays, I would understand that as they
    have no financial incentive. Now, anyone with Directv will buy the
    DirectTivo.

    I personally have the DirectTivo, but wanted to keep the ReplayTv I
    already owned and use it with one of my extra receivers. I still like
    the auto commercial skip and file sharing among other things. Now, it
    is useless to me.

    We can all see the way this is going: Tivo and ReplayTV are out of
    luck. Cable companies and satellite providers are coming up with their
    own hardware/software as they don't want to pay license fees. Directv
    will have their own soon and that will probably put Tivo out of
    business.

    On 12 Sep 2005 20:03:05 -0700, michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I've read all the info on this whole scene and how the serial port
    >doesn't work on some models and has been inactivated by Directv on
    >others. My question is why doesn't ReplayTV offer IR control of these
    >boxes??? I can't believe that is hard for them to do. It is basically
    >like programming a universal remote and shoving into their database of
    >codes. They support all kinds of boxes, I don't get it.

    Or Replay could offer a learning feature, something really essential
    on a modern remote-control.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    Yes, wouldn't even have to be "in" the remote. All you need is a
    screen where you enter IR HEX values which is what they translate into.
    All you need to enter is 0-9 and ENTER. They (or some technically
    savy users) could post the codes on a website by manufacturer.

    the easiest and most acceptable reason is

    1) there are not many D10 owners who use ReplayTV to be any major concern
    for ReplayTV, so a few customers are screwed in the eyes of ReplayTV, so
    what?

    and because of this,

    2) ReplayTV doesn't want to spend any time & money in updating software for
    existing machines so they can make a small percentage of people happy.

    If a large number of ReplayTV subscribers quit because of this D10 issue,
    they would do something about it right away. ReplayTV blames DTV and DTV
    blames ReplayTV, its a win-win situation for both of them!

    On 13 Sep 2005 14:19:47 -0700, michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Yes, wouldn't even have to be "in" the remote. All you need is a
    >screen where you enter IR HEX values which is what they translate into.
    >All you need to enter is 0-9 and ENTER. They (or some technically
    >savy users) could post the codes on a website by manufacturer.

    That'd be good for those who no longer have the original remote.
    Otherwise, it would be better if you had a way to read them yourself.

    Actually, it could be even better if the coding became standardized
    and all device manufactures listed the codes on their websites.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    Cheapest for ReplayTV and user:

    ReplayTV has an IR sensor (for the remote) on the unit. Allow the user
    to take their cable/satellite remote, point it at the Repaly unit and
    press keys when prompted so that Repaly can capture and record the
    signal.

    Obviously, this is probably not something that can be easily added to
    an existing unit.

    Problem is this: I already bought a lifetime subscription. I can't go
    somewhere else and they aren't out anything if I do. Of course, I can
    and will sell the unit on eBay.

    I find it hard to believe that Directv D10's are not out there in
    abundance. Directv is huge. When people find out Replay doens't even
    support them, that's a whole market gone. The D10 is the new standard
    receiver for Directv.

    As I said earlier, I think that Replay and Tivo are both dead.
    Satellite/cable are coming up with their own technology to avoid
    license fees. If they aren't affiliated with one of them, they are
    dead. Even Tivo with it's Directv affiliation is dead after Directv
    comes out with its own version.

    On 14 Sep 2005 07:02:52 -0700, michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Cheapest for ReplayTV and user:
    >
    >ReplayTV has an IR sensor (for the remote) on the unit. Allow the user
    >to take their cable/satellite remote, point it at the Repaly unit and
    >press keys when prompted so that Repaly can capture and record the
    >signal.

    The Replay's sensor may be connected to special hardware that won't
    work with non-Replay codes.

    A learning feature is something they should have considered at the
    beginning. It's too useful to have left out.

    >Obviously, this is probably not something that can be easily added to
    >an existing unit.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    That would be very nice, (a learning feature) but alas, I"m not sure how
    practicl.. WOuld require a lot of "on screen" interaction

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:21:37 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >That would be very nice, (a learning feature) but alas, I"m not sure how
    >practicl.. WOuld require a lot of "on screen" interaction

    It shouldn't be too much. When you're asked to select the brand of
    device to control, there'd be an option for "custom", then prompts to
    press the number buttons on that device's control. Then, a few channel
    selections would be made (for testing).

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >> On 12 Sep 2005 20:03:05 -0700, michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've read all the info on this whole scene and how the serial port
    >>>doesn't work on some models and has been inactivated by Directv on
    >>>others. My question is why doesn't ReplayTV offer IR control of these
    >>>boxes??? I can't believe that is hard for them to do. It is basically
    >>>like programming a universal remote and shoving into their database of
    >>>codes. They support all kinds of boxes, I don't get it.
    >>

    >> Or Replay could offer a learning feature, something really essential
    >> on a modern remote-control.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I mean if Replay intends on staying in business, I think they would
    work on this as Directv is national rather than trying to support cable
    box xyz from Acme cable company in Oklahoma.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    there is a device you can buy that someone produced that allows you to use
    the D10 on the ReplayTV.
    http://www.replayfaqs.com/4DCGI/Detail_News_Display?ID=79

    of course your other option is to get another receiver that supports
    ReplayTV serial control and probably won't get upgraded by DTV (like an
    older RCA model)

    <michaeljc70@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Problem is this: I already bought a lifetime subscription. I can't go
    > somewhere else and they aren't out anything if I do. Of course, I can
    > and will sell the unit on eBay.
    >
    > I find it hard to believe that Directv D10's are not out there in
    > abundance. Directv is huge. When people find out Replay doens't even
    > support them, that's a whole market gone. The D10 is the new standard
    > receiver for Directv.
    >
    > As I said earlier, I think that Replay and Tivo are both dead.
    > Satellite/cable are coming up with their own technology to avoid
    > license fees. If they aren't affiliated with one of them, they are
    > dead. Even Tivo with it's Directv affiliation is dead after Directv
    > comes out with its own version.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:55:25 -0400, "Me" <Me@Me.com> wrote:

    >there is a device you can buy that someone produced that allows you to use
    >the D10 on the ReplayTV.
    >http://www.replayfaqs.com/4DCGI/Detail_News_Display?ID=79
    >
    >of course your other option is to get another receiver that supports
    >ReplayTV serial control and probably won't get upgraded by DTV (like an
    >older RCA model)

    Both of my DTV-connected Replays use RCA DRD420RE receivers. They're
    new enough to get all the channels ( that is if you don't need the 4th
    satellite that's used for a few locals markets ) and old enough to be
    easily controlled through the serial port.

    ><michaeljc70@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Problem is this: I already bought a lifetime subscription. I can't go
    >> somewhere else and they aren't out anything if I do. Of course, I can
    >> and will sell the unit on eBay.
    >>
    >> I find it hard to believe that Directv D10's are not out there in
    >> abundance. Directv is huge. When people find out Replay doens't even
    >> support them, that's a whole market gone. The D10 is the new standard
    >> receiver for Directv.
    >>
    >> As I said earlier, I think that Replay and Tivo are both dead.
    >> Satellite/cable are coming up with their own technology to avoid
    >> license fees. If they aren't affiliated with one of them, they are
    >> dead. Even Tivo with it's Directv affiliation is dead after Directv
    >> comes out with its own version.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    True, but when is the last time ReplayTV has updated software on the
    machines? There are new hardware devices being introduced daily by other
    companies, and I don't think they have added remote codes to the database
    for a long time...

    >I mean if Replay intends on staying in business, I think they would
    > work on this as Directv is national rather than trying to support cable
    > box xyz from Acme cable company in Oklahoma.

Ptv Replaytv Video ReplayTV