TiVo-to-Go wireless transfer speed

I wonder what kind of speeds other people are getting when transferring
recorded programs from TiVo to PC with wireless networking. It takes me
about three hours to transfer a one-hour program recorded in High Quality.

Anyone else?

Thanks, Robert
14 answers Last reply
More about tivo wireless transfer speed

    It all depends. :*)
    I am using a G wireless (54Meg) and going from first floor to 3rd floor.
    It used to take me 3 hours to transfer an hour program. My reception was
    "good" since it was far away. I found on the web that a New Zealand
    college had a project to increase wireless reach using cooking
    strainers. Yes, cut the handle off those metal strainers, and insert the
    USB wireless through the back to make a mini-TV dish. Point it to the
    router. And now i get 100% Excellent reception. And it takes 1 1/2 hours
    to 1 3/4 hours to transfer a 1 hour program.

    hope that helps. (8 inch strainer)
    DAve

    Robert wrote:
    > I wonder what kind of speeds other people are getting when transferring
    > recorded programs from TiVo to PC with wireless networking. It takes me
    > about three hours to transfer a one-hour program recorded in High Quality.
    >
    > Anyone else?
    >
    > Thanks, Robert

    For programs recorded in High quality - I get about a 1:1 ratio - that
    is it takes about 1 minute to transfer 1 minute of video. For Medium
    quality it's faster and in Basic a 60 minute show takes maybe 20
    minutes.

    How did I do it? Instead of using a wireless USB adapter solely, I
    have regular wired USB and a wireless "game adapter" that plugs into
    the wired adapter (It's the Linksys wireless game adapter, I don't
    recall model #). Essentially what this does is attaches a wireless
    broadcast to the wired adapter, hence the wired adapter is still the
    one that goes to get the IP. I forget all the technical reasons (I
    found out this info on the TIVO community forums) but from what I
    gather I'm using the full bandwidth instead of being limited by the
    pure wireless adapter - and since those gamign adapters are meant to
    keep "ping" times low they seem to work for this purpose as well. At
    $85 a pop for my two TIVOs it wasn't cheap, but well worth it as I can
    watch a high quality show in real time streamed from the other TIVO.
    Better yet if I wait 10 minutes I can still skip commercials and never
    catch up.

    I also added a pair of new antennae from Radio Shack for my Linksys
    Router to extend its range and they definitely seem to help strengthen
    the signal and extend its range. That ran me another $30.

    --*Rob

    The "game adapter" is a Linksys Wireless Game Adapter. See this page:

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416826619&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

    It plugs INTO a regular wired network adapter (which is plugged into
    your TIVO's USB port), using a standard networking cable. It basically
    acts as a transmitter only, it does not do all of the networking stuff
    itself. Again, I don't remember the technical reasons why this
    increases bandwidth, but I can tell you that my speeds are very fast,
    and others on the TIVO community forums have reported the same things.
    Between that and the high gain antennas I used on my router from Radio
    shack (see this page:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-844)
    My speeds are quite fast and my signal is "excellent" in the whole
    house.

    --*Rob

    Thanks for the reply DAve. The 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hour transfer times you get
    for a 1 hour program -- is that for a program recorded in Best, High,
    Medium, or Basic quality?

    Thanks, Robert

    "DAve Allison" <dave1225@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > It all depends. :*)
    > I am using a G wireless (54Meg) and going from first floor to 3rd floor.
    > It used to take me 3 hours to transfer an hour program. My reception was
    > "good" since it was far away. I found on the web that a New Zealand
    > college had a project to increase wireless reach using cooking strainers.
    > Yes, cut the handle off those metal strainers, and insert the USB wireless
    > through the back to make a mini-TV dish. Point it to the router. And now i
    > get 100% Excellent reception. And it takes 1 1/2 hours to 1 3/4 hours to
    > transfer a 1 hour program.
    >
    > hope that helps. (8 inch strainer)
    > DAve
    >
    > Robert wrote:
    >> I wonder what kind of speeds other people are getting when transferring
    >> recorded programs from TiVo to PC with wireless networking. It takes me
    >> about three hours to transfer a one-hour program recorded in High
    >> Quality.
    >>
    >> Anyone else?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Robert

    I record on BEST or HIGH, can't remember if there was a difference in
    times for these two. I am interested in the other reply you got. Wish'd
    he had listed the parts he used. Not sure what a game adapter is.
    DAve

    Robert Usdin wrote:
    > The "game adapter" is a Linksys Wireless Game Adapter. See this page:
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416826619&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
    >
    > It plugs INTO a regular wired network adapter (which is plugged into
    > your TIVO's USB port), using a standard networking cable. It basically
    > acts as a transmitter only, it does not do all of the networking stuff
    > itself. Again, I don't remember the technical reasons why this
    > increases bandwidth, but I can tell you that my speeds are very fast,
    > and others on the TIVO community forums have reported the same things.
    > Between that and the high gain antennas I used on my router from Radio
    > shack (see this page:
    > http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-844)
    > My speeds are quite fast and my signal is "excellent" in the whole
    > house.
    >
    > --*Rob

    Robert, it increases (or increased) your available bandwidth because at
    the time SA Tivo DVR's didn't support any 802.11g wireless adapters
    directly. The fastest they could support was 802.11b at 11 Mbps, not
    because of any physical hardware limitation, but because they simply
    didn't have the drivers.

    Your gaming adapter converted a *wired* usb adapter, which supported 100
    Mbps transfers (not that all the other parts of the Tivo could transmit
    at that), to an 802.11g connection at 54 Mbps. Thus you got a 54 Mbps
    wireless connection instead of an 11 Mbps connection (real world
    transmission rates are considerably less).

    Version 7.x of the Tivo software added additional driver support, so
    there are a few 802.11g wireless adapters supported now, making the
    wireless gaming adapters unnecessary if you get the right ones.

    Randy S.

    Oh. but he is getting better performance than I am with a G wireless
    USB, which is 54 MB. Robert, where did you find the TIVO forum information?
    DAve

    DAve Allison wrote:
    > Oh. but he is getting better performance than I am with a G wireless
    > USB, which is 54 MB. Robert, where did you find the TIVO forum information?
    > DAve

    No, if you are using a supported 802.11g adapter, you will both be
    getting identical peformance (assuming that the *software* performance
    of both drivers are identical). It's just that your option wasn't
    available until version 7 was released.

    Randy S.

    I got my info from the Tivo Community, the thread here on the "Ultimate
    Wireless network":

    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=149224&highlight=WGA54G

    A lot of great info on that thread AND in the Tivo community in
    general.

    --*Rob

    Robert Usdin wrote:
    > I got my info from the Tivo Community, the thread here on the "Ultimate
    > Wireless network":
    >
    > http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=149224&highlight=WGA54G
    >
    > A lot of great info on that thread AND in the Tivo community in
    > general.
    >
    > --*Rob

    Keep in mind the time-sensitive nature of this type of information.
    Information relating to versions earlier than 7 may be incorrect or
    incomplete as applied to version 7 and later. Specifically in this
    case, the wireless gaming adapter is not required if you obtain the
    proper wireless adapter. I don't know if that thread addresses that.

    http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm?

    Note that all the adapters listed on the front page are 802.11g adapters
    now.

    --
    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:dg7t7m$12e8$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
    > Robert Usdin wrote:
    >> I got my info from the Tivo Community, the thread here on the "Ultimate
    >> Wireless network":
    >>
    >> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=149224&highlight=WGA54G
    >>
    >> A lot of great info on that thread AND in the Tivo community in
    >> general.
    >>
    >> --*Rob
    >>

    > Keep in mind the time-sensitive nature of this type of information. Information relating to versions earlier than 7 may be
    > incorrect or incomplete as applied to version 7 and later. Specifically in this case, the wireless gaming adapter is not required
    > if you obtain the proper wireless adapter. I don't know if that thread addresses that.
    >
    > http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm?
    >
    > Note that all the adapters listed on the front page are 802.11g adapters now.
    >
    > --
    > Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:dg7t7m$12e8$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
    > Robert Usdin wrote:
    >> I got my info from the Tivo Community, the thread here on the "Ultimate
    >> Wireless network":
    >>
    >> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=149224&highlight=WGA54G
    >>
    >> A lot of great info on that thread AND in the Tivo community in
    >> general.
    >>
    >> --*Rob
    >>

    > Keep in mind the time-sensitive nature of this type of information. Information relating to versions earlier than 7 may be
    > incorrect or incomplete as applied to version 7 and later. Specifically in this case, the wireless gaming adapter is not required
    > if you obtain the proper wireless adapter. I don't know if that thread addresses that.
    >
    > http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm?
    >
    > Note that all the adapters listed on the front page are 802.11g adapters now.
    >
    > --
    > Randy S.

    Not all the adapters on the list are G, only the 2 with splats are G, the others
    are B. Also, as noted by the splat, the G adapters cannot be use for p2p.

    D-link DWL 120 version F (TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required) 802.11g (Really B)

    D-Link DWL-122 802.11g (Really B)

    D-Link DWL-G120 version B2* (TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required) 802.11g

    Linksys WUSB12 802.11g (Really B)

    Netgear WG111* Only serial numbers starting with WG72.
    (TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required) 802.11g

    *802.11g adapters can only be used if you have a home network.
    If you would like to create a peer-to-peer network, use an 802.11b adapter

    http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm

    > Not all the adapters on the list are G, only the 2 with splats are G, the others
    > are B. Also, as noted by the splat, the G adapters cannot be use for p2p.
    >
    > D-link DWL 120 version F (TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required) 802.11g (Really B)
    >
    > D-Link DWL-122 802.11g (Really B)
    >
    > D-Link DWL-G120 version B2* (TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required) 802.11g
    >
    > Linksys WUSB12 802.11g (Really B)
    >
    > Netgear WG111* Only serial numbers starting with WG72.
    > (TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required) 802.11g
    >
    > *802.11g adapters can only be used if you have a home network.
    > If you would like to create a peer-to-peer network, use an 802.11b adapter
    >
    > http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm

    Sorry, Glen's correct, apparently Tivo has some typo's on that page, and
    I didn't stop to check them out. Obviously it makes sense that only
    that one's that require version 7.1 or later are 802.11g.

    Randy S.

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:26:23 GMT, "Robert" <nospam@spamfree.com>
    wrote:

    >I wonder what kind of speeds other people are getting when transferring
    >recorded programs from TiVo to PC with wireless networking. It takes me
    >about three hours to transfer a one-hour program recorded in High Quality.
    >
    >Anyone else?
    >
    >Thanks, Robert

    That's about the best you'll do until Comcast takes over development
    at TIVO.

    Until then it's stone age type performance and features.

    Sean

    Sean <none> shaped the electrons to say:
    >That's about the best you'll do until Comcast takes over development
    >at TIVO.

    Ah, glad to have you back, the group was far to factual and rational
    without you. I missed your nonsense.

    -MZ
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

Ptv Tivo Tivo Wireless