directly.
11 answers Last reply
More about directv pvr sevice

    On 2005-09-11, Doug D. <ddinger@optonline.net> wrote:
    > I want a HDTV Terrestrial Tuner w/Tivo. Not interested in receiving any
    > sattelite stations. Can I use a DirecTV receiver just for recording my
    > off-air signals without signing up for their service, and is Tivo's fee
    > directly connected with them, or can I pay Tivo (for lifetime service)
    > directly.

    You cannot use DirecTV's HDTiVo without paying DirecTV for service. You
    don't have to use DirecTV's service, but you do have to pay them for it.

    TiVo does not have a non-DirecTV HD TiVo.

    --
    This is my .sig

    Thanks for the reply.

    Disapointing news. Anyone know of a Terrestrial HDTV DVR?

    "Doug D." <ddinger@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Disapointing news. Anyone know of a Terrestrial HDTV DVR?

    HD tuner card in a PC. Don't know of any "appliance" type boxes at this
    time.

    Doug D. wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Disapointing news. Anyone know of a Terrestrial HDTV DVR?

    It's only speculation, but it would be virtually impossible to believe
    that Tivo isn't working on one. In fact it's been so long since they've
    updated the hardware in their S2's that I would guess it shouldn't be
    that long. However, many have speculated that Tivo may be waiting for
    Cablecard 2.0 to shake out, so they can build in that capability first.
    I believe that may be necessary as encoding analog HD (which would be
    required if the tuner wasn't integrated) would be too taxing for a
    reasonably priced appliance.

    Randy S.

    "Doug D." <ddinger@optonline.net> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Disapointing news. Anyone know of a Terrestrial HDTV DVR?

    TiVo is supposed to have one next year (the CableCard TiVo is supposed
    to have ATSC tuners as well).

    Zenith used to make an ATSC only DVR, but I believe they stopped - you
    may still be able to get it used.

    Sony has a couple of CableCard/ATSC DVRs - DHG-HDD250/500.

    I think LG Electronics also has an ATSC DVR.

    -MZ
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    In article <newscache$p3jqmi$ym21$1@sidehack.gweep.net>,
    newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) wrote:

    > "Doug D." <ddinger@optonline.net> shaped the electrons to say:
    > >Disapointing news. Anyone know of a Terrestrial HDTV DVR?
    >
    > TiVo is supposed to have one next year (the CableCard TiVo is supposed
    > to have ATSC tuners as well).
    >
    > Zenith used to make an ATSC only DVR, but I believe they stopped - you
    > may still be able to get it used.
    >
    > Sony has a couple of CableCard/ATSC DVRs - DHG-HDD250/500.
    >
    > I think LG Electronics also has an ATSC DVR.
    >
    > -MZ

    The Cable companies are working very hard to not have to give out
    CableCards.

    They keep getting extensions from the FCC for the lamest of reasons.

    http://ga1.org/ctrw/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=1358109#1

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:18:32 GMT, Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >In article <newscache$p3jqmi$ym21$1@sidehack.gweep.net>,
    > newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) wrote:
    >
    >> "Doug D." <ddinger@optonline.net> shaped the electrons to say:
    >> >Disapointing news. Anyone know of a Terrestrial HDTV DVR?
    >>
    >> TiVo is supposed to have one next year (the CableCard TiVo is supposed
    >> to have ATSC tuners as well).
    >>
    >> Zenith used to make an ATSC only DVR, but I believe they stopped - you
    >> may still be able to get it used.
    >>
    >> Sony has a couple of CableCard/ATSC DVRs - DHG-HDD250/500.
    >>
    >> I think LG Electronics also has an ATSC DVR.
    >>
    >> -MZ
    >
    >The Cable companies are working very hard to not have to give out
    >CableCards.
    >
    >They keep getting extensions from the FCC for the lamest of reasons.
    >

    >http://ga1.org/ctrw/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=1358109#1

    Why is the FCC even involved with this? It's a business/marketing decision
    to use cards or not.

    In article <36hgi19cj33fefgttdbkmm4b88ob43ba3e@4ax.com>,
    Mark <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:18:32 GMT, Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <newscache$p3jqmi$ym21$1@sidehack.gweep.net>,
    > > newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Doug D." <ddinger@optonline.net> shaped the electrons to say:
    > >>
    > >> TiVo is supposed to have one next year (the CableCard TiVo is supposed
    > >> to have ATSC tuners as well).
    > >>
    > >> Zenith used to make an ATSC only DVR, but I believe they stopped - you
    > >> may still be able to get it used.
    > >>
    > >> Sony has a couple of CableCard/ATSC DVRs - DHG-HDD250/500.
    > >>
    > >> I think LG Electronics also has an ATSC DVR.
    > >>
    > >> -MZ
    > >
    > >The Cable companies are working very hard to not have to give out
    > >CableCards.
    > >
    > >They keep getting extensions from the FCC for the lamest of reasons.
    > >

    > >http://ga1.org/ctrw/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=1358109#1
    >

    > Why is the FCC even involved with this? It's a business/marketing decision
    > to use cards or not.

    FCC had mandated it, so CABLE can't monopolize set top boxes, and the
    Cable companies keep getting extensions.

    Mark <me@privacy.net> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Why is the FCC even involved with this? It's a business/marketing decision
    >to use cards or not.

    Because cable is a regulated industry and the FCC sets the
    regulations. One of them is the *mandatory* support of CableCard.

    MegaZone wrote:
    > Mark <me@privacy.net> shaped the electrons to say:
    >
    >>Why is the FCC even involved with this? It's a business/marketing decision
    >>to use cards or not.
    >

    > Because cable is a regulated industry and the FCC sets the
    > regulations. One of them is the *mandatory* support of CableCard.
    >
    > -MZ

    Wasn't cable "de-regulated"? Or is there still some regulation, just
    much less?

    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Wasn't cable "de-regulated"? Or is there still some regulation, just
    >much less?

    The latter.

    -MZ
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video Product