TIVO and UPSs

Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"

How's it working out for you?
16 answers Last reply
More about tivo upss

    George Max wrote:
    > Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"
    >
    > How's it working out for you?

    Tons of people. Mostly to prevent lost recordings rather than
    protecting the Tivo. But it works great.

    Randy S.

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:12:30 -0400, "Randy S." <rswitt@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >George Max wrote:
    >> Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"
    >>
    >> How's it working out for you?
    >
    >Tons of people. Mostly to prevent lost recordings rather than
    >protecting the Tivo. But it works great.
    >
    >Randy S.

    Pure sine wave UPS or square wave?

    I guess that last part might be moot since pure sine wave units tend
    to cost significantly more.......

    "George Max" <lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"
    >
    > How's it working out for you?

    Lots.

    Fine.

    --
    Toni
    http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:57:44 -0500, George Max
    <lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote:

    >Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"

    Doesn't everyone?

    >How's it working out for you?

    Just fine. The last time we lost power, I was able to record two shows
    (including an episode of 24) that I would have otherwise missed.
    Incidentally, we lose power on average of once a month, for times
    varying from a few minutes to 24 hours.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:21:53 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
    <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:57:44 -0500, George Max
    ><lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"
    >>
    >Doesn't everyone?
    >
    >>How's it working out for you?
    >
    >Just fine. The last time we lost power, I was able to record two shows
    >(including an episode of 24) that I would have otherwise missed.
    >Incidentally, we lose power on average of once a month, for times
    >varying from a few minutes to 24 hours.
    >Charlie Hoffpauir

    Seems like you'd need a pretty big UPS to run the TIVO and Satellite
    box for a couple of hours.

    Anyway, just thought I'd ask, I'm gonna do it, just checking

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:50:08 -0500, George Max
    <lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:21:53 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
    ><invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:57:44 -0500, George Max
    >><lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"
    >>>
    >>Doesn't everyone?
    >>
    >>>How's it working out for you?
    >>
    >>Just fine. The last time we lost power, I was able to record two shows
    >>(including an episode of 24) that I would have otherwise missed.
    >>Incidentally, we lose power on average of once a month, for times
    >>varying from a few minutes to 24 hours.
    >>Charlie Hoffpauir
    >
    >Seems like you'd need a pretty big UPS to run the TIVO and Satellite
    >box for a couple of hours.
    >
    >Anyway, just thought I'd ask, I'm gonna do it, just checking

    Well, it's a fairly large box, APC model Backup-UPS Pro 1100. It's
    probably designed for computers.... I bought it at Sam's for under
    $200, don't really remember how much I paid. But although the TV,
    Tivo, and my Ilo DVD recorder are all on it, when we lose power I turn
    off the TV and DVDR to save power.... the only reason they are on it
    is so my clocks don't get screwed up by the power loss. I have no
    Satellite box, since I only use DirecTV Tivos.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:26:03 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir

    >Well, it's a fairly large box, APC model Backup-UPS Pro 1100. It's
    >probably designed for computers.... I bought it at Sam's for under
    >$200, don't really remember how much I paid. But although the TV,
    >Tivo, and my Ilo DVD recorder are all on it, when we lose power I turn
    >off the TV and DVDR to save power.... the only reason they are on it
    >is so my clocks don't get screwed up by the power loss. I have no
    >Satellite box, since I only use DirecTV Tivos.
    >Charlie Hoffpauir

    That's 1100VA, a pretty good size backup. Good for you. :)

    I don't think I'm going for so much, enough to cover the momentary
    electrical interruptions that seem to be getting more common.

    > Seems like you'd need a pretty big UPS to run the TIVO and Satellite
    > box for a couple of hours.

    Why, how much do satellite boxes typically eat up? The load on a UPS from
    your typical TiVo is going to be small enough for quite some time.
    Certainly enough to get you through a small to medium sized outage.

    Of course, this is based on the watts used by a Series 2 standalone...dunno
    how much the DirecTiVos use.

    Once upon a time, George Max <lazarus@wi.rr.com> said:
    >Pure sine wave UPS or square wave?

    I've got an APC SmartUPS 700VA with "pure sine wave", but that doesn't
    really matter for computer-style switching supplies.

    >I guess that last part might be moot since pure sine wave units tend
    >to cost significantly more.......

    I had a different UPS, but the battery gave out. I had some computers
    hooked to the APC, but I moved them into a rack and got a rack-mount UPS
    for them, so I put my TiVos on the APC.

    One thing I did before moving the APC to the TiVos: I used the APC
    software to set turn the power-failure alarm beep off. On the better
    UPSes, this is saved in an EEPROM. This way it doesn't beep when the
    power fails.
    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

    On 2005-09-09, George Max <lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:21:53 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
    ><invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:57:44 -0500, George Max
    >><lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"
    >>>
    >>Doesn't everyone?
    >>
    >>>How's it working out for you?
    >>
    >>Just fine. The last time we lost power, I was able to record two shows
    >>(including an episode of 24) that I would have otherwise missed.
    >>Incidentally, we lose power on average of once a month, for times
    >>varying from a few minutes to 24 hours.
    >>Charlie Hoffpauir
    >
    > Seems like you'd need a pretty big UPS to run the TIVO and Satellite
    > box for a couple of hours.

    No, the smallest UPS (250/300) should be able to handle both for awhile.
    The satellite box uses next to no power and the TiVo is just a very low
    power computer. Neither of these use much power at all.

    --
    This is my .sig

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:52:07 -0500, George Max wrote:

    > That's 1100VA, a pretty good size backup. Good for you. :)
    >
    > I don't think I'm going for so much, enough to cover the momentary
    > electrical interruptions that seem to be getting more common.

    It's not so much the max output of the UPS, but the size of the batteries.
    And the Tivo by itself doesn't use a lot of power. I think my old 650VA
    powercom with two 4AH batteries will keep it going for a couple of hours.
    If I needed more time than that, I'd just use larger external batteries.

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:15:34 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >No, the smallest UPS (250/300) should be able to handle both for awhile.
    >The satellite box uses next to no power and the TiVo is just a very low
    >power computer. Neither of these use much power at all.

    Howard & Mike,

    My remarks were based on published specs of running for less than an
    hour for some models, the ones with a small VA rating, a little more
    for ones with significantly more VA.

    But, as you say, the TIVO and a sat box don't draw that much. The
    ratings probably are for how long they'll last with a maximum load on
    them.

    George Max wrote:

    > Pure sine wave UPS or square wave?

    Neither and/or Both.

    http://sturgeon.apcc.com/techref.nsf/partnum/990-9197/$FILE/990-9197_EN_REV01.pdf
    > Voltage On Battery 115 Vrms + 8% (step-approximated sine wave)

    -Joe

    "George Max" <lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:21:53 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
    > <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    > Seems like you'd need a pretty big UPS to run the TIVO and Satellite
    > box for a couple of hours.

    Not that big, the TIVO draws what a small and lightly configured PC without
    monitor will draw, and the sat box isn't much. If you satellite (assuming
    its' DirecTV) then get their version of the TIVO and illiminate the sat box
    altogether.

    --
    Nik Simpson

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:24:11 -0400, "Nik Simpson"
    <n_simpson@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >"George Max" <lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:21:53 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
    >> <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Seems like you'd need a pretty big UPS to run the TIVO and Satellite
    >> box for a couple of hours.
    >>

    >Not that big, the TIVO draws what a small and lightly configured PC without
    >monitor will draw, and the sat box isn't much. If you satellite (assuming
    >its' DirecTV) then get their version of the TIVO and illiminate the sat box
    >altogether.

    Nah, it's Dishnetwork. Won't go their route. I'm perfectly happy
    with my TIVO.

    "George Max" <lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone here have their TIVO(S) connected to a UPS "just in case?"
    >
    > How's it working out for you?

    works great for me, has saved me a few times on quick power outages.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Cases Video