Starting Youtube channel

Is it worth starting a gaming YouTube channel?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Basil Nazir

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Okay, so I am looking to start my YouTube Gaming channel on PC. I've had the idea for a long time but I am thinking seriously about doing it right now. I know there are a lot of people out there who already do this and I just wanted an opinion if it's worth doing it. I play games all the time and If i have to put in little bit of more time, editing and uploading the videos, I am fine with that. I am also looking for softwares that I would require to record the video and to edit them.
I have a variety of games that I already own and they would be enough to get me started so I don't play just one game but different games. I can buy more later on, depending on the response.
Kindly let me know how you feel about this. Thank you! :)

Well, if you're an interesting enough person it is.

Watch the Q&A's of other already popular Youtube Gamers, there will usually be a time or two when they answer the "how do I get started/be successful on youtube" question.

But what it boils down to is persistence, and being able to attract and keep viewers. You won't get famous or rich quick or easily doing this, and you'll have to work pretty hard if you want to get anywhere (like 8+hours a day, recording game play, then editing, then uploading.)

NBSN

Admirable
If you want to do it, then do it. But do it because you want to, not because you want to make money.

I do strictly no commentary gameplay videos for my channel...that way people can see and hear the actual gameplay and know if they are interested in trying the game themselves. I don't have a popular channel with a lot of subscribers. I started back in December 2013 using OBS, did not get many videos done until Feb or Mar and the quality of the OBS videos are not where I want them to be (one day I may redo them). The I got my Elgato and started doing better videos. They look better and are edited better. I started putting more videos up and have slowly gained subscribers.

Of course I have my own personal life and crap to deal with so sometimes I will get through three games in a week, and other times I will take a few weeks vacation from it. I have 82 subscribers right now, but that does not mean much. I look at my analytics and see that each day I only get a handful of subscriber views with them watching about 2-3 hours total per day. I'm not complaining about that because most people that get to my channel just hop on, look up the gameplay video for the game I want to see more of, watch a few minutes, and hop off. Which is what my channel is designed for.

I don't have any videos monetized because I am not trying to make money. And I am happy to now get a minimum of 5,000 view each month (the past three months) and 27,000 minutes watched (the past two months). Over time by adding more games it has drawn in more people to see those games. Some brand new games and a lot of games that are a few years old. So I am overall happy with that aspect of YouTube.

However, be prepared to get mad a lot because of the YouTube content ID system. I almost quit YouTube because of that system constantly making content matches with my videos and blocking them in various countries. In order to be careful about avoiding copyright strikes that would take down my account I can only fight two content IDs at a time (and they are typically not accepted for one month). Then after winning the copyright claim a few months later the same video is content matched or copyright claimed by another organization. Or the claim will be rejected and reinstated and I have to dispute or appeal that.

A lot of more famous YouTubers are going to other sites such as Twitch or making their own websites to get a better revenue stream because of YouTube having ridiculous policies. So, go into this with eyes open and know that there will be times you hate it, and there will be times you like it.