I miss my UTV

I've now had my TiVo running for a couple of weeks (since my UTV started
to die; tuner overheat problem) and in day-to-day use I've noticed a few
deficiencies. Maybe some of the more experienced TiVo users around here
could explain how to work around these issues... please?

In the "To Do List"... the UTV equivalent ("Upcoming Recordings") would
display a brief summary of the episode as you move the cursor over the
recording. With TiVo you have to press SELECT to see the same
information, and then exit that page. This makes deciding if you want
to keep a program on the record list a more tedious task with TiVo.
Related to this, UTV has a "bulk unselect" page where you can tickbox
all the items you want to remove and then finally click "do not record".
This short description also appears in the Now Playing ("My Shows")
lists and so on, on the UTV.

In the "Season Pass Manager"... the UTV equivalents (it seperates out
auto-records - wishlist - and normal records - season passes) list the
number of episodes to be recorded on the summary page (eg "Stargate SG1
(4)" would mean 4 episodes are scheduled to be recorded). To get this
on the TiVo you need to select the episode and - for SP only; not for
Wishlist items - it will tell you how many upcoming recordings...
however this is not a count of how many programs are to be recorded!
You have to select even further and look at what episodes have
tick-marks next to them. [ Plus to TiVo; you can record something you'd
previously deselected easier, here ].

Inconsisent UI... in most places right-arrow will select the item...
except in season pass manager where it "grabs" the item... Ugh!!
Horribly annoying.

Fast Forward mode... the UTV seems to be "cleaner" and easier to read -
eg music titles on VH1 Classic, while forwarding at >>> speed. I had to
do the SPS30S to get 30second skip, which I can't live without :-) TiVo
has the 15 minute skip mode, which UTV doesn't, but UTV has the 300speed
forward mode (sometimes buggy, though).

A variation of the Daily Show issue... VH1 Classic doesn't properly flag
shows (We Are The 80s, Pop Show etc, and repeat most shows twice a day -
the seem to have a 12 hour schedule) but I can't find a way to tell the
system to record showings between certain times (I can't say "0800-0900"
since the show times change between days, sometimes). UTV only
recorded +/- 2 hours of the theoretical scheduled time, and this seemed
to work a lot better. I'd miss the occaisional showing (no loss, in
this case!) but with TiVo I always get duplicates.

A minor thing, but useful.. the UTV has a blue light on front that
lights up to let you know that new programs have appeared in the My
Shows list since you last looked at it. This means I can just glance at
the box when I get home from work and see if anything new has been
recorded :-)

Scrolling through the guide and creating a season pass, you end up back
at the beginning of the guide again, and not where you left it.
Annoying!

[ Talking of the guide; in grid mode is it easy to skip forward in
3 hour or 12 hour increments? I know you can do it quickly on the List
Mode view, but in Grid mode I can only skip by 1.5 hour increments ]

The UTV has a nice habit of putting the current output into a small
window (similar to a PIP window) when doing a lot of stuff - eg looking
at the "My Shows" list, scrolling the guide and so on. This is so much
nicer than TiVo full screen displays.

The UTV "Channels I receive" equivalent will use the small-window
function to display the channel you are browsing, alongside a fuller
channel description (eg "260 WE Womens Entertainment" rather than just
"260 WE WE" - although I have noticed TiVo has _some_ description on
some channels!) making it easier to determine if you want to keep a
channel or not.

A potential TiVo bug... I had one tuner doing a recording. The second
tuner was doing a suggestion recording. I'd pressed LiveTV (which
brought up the scheduled recording) and then tried to change channel.
Rather than cancel the suggestion and change channel, it asked me to
cancel the scheduled recording. Ooops. Aborting that, switching tuner,
then change channel worked properly. TiVo should have done this
automatically, cancelling the suggestion rather than asking to interrupt
the scheduled recording.

On the plus side, the 6.2 software on the S2 (Philips DSR708) is a lot
faster than my girlfriends S1 (Phillips) box. I haven't yet seen a
massive slowdown when playing with Season Passes. Good! Not as fast as
UTV, but not too slow as to be annoying :-)

I do think the TiVo is the best DVR currently on the market at the
moment, but I still prefer my old UTV; RIP.

--
Stephen Harris
usenet@spuddy.org

    Once upon a time, Stephen Harris <usenet@spuddy.org> said:
    >In the "To Do List"... the UTV equivalent ("Upcoming Recordings") would
    >display a brief summary of the episode as you move the cursor over the
    >recording. With TiVo you have to press SELECT to see the same
    >information, and then exit that page. This makes deciding if you want
    >to keep a program on the record list a more tedious task with TiVo.

    There is a remote code to get this that was posted here recently IIRC
    (similar to the 30 second skip; undocumented, unsupported, but well
    known) that does something like that for "Now Playing" - I don't know if
    it changes the "To Do List". Also, on a TiVo, once you are in the
    screen for a show, you don't have to exit that screen to move up and
    down in the list; use the channel up/down buttons to move through the
    list.
    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:49:23 -0400, usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris)
    wrote:

    > In the "To Do List"... the UTV equivalent ("Upcoming Recordings") would
    > display a brief summary of the episode as you move the cursor over the
    > recording. With TiVo you have to press SELECT to see the same
    > information, and then exit that page. This makes deciding if you want
    > to keep a program on the record list a more tedious task with TiVo.

    Press Select on the first one, then use Channel Down to scroll through
    them, to get the same effect. You can also use Clear to delete a recording
    from that screen.

    > Inconsisent UI... in most places right-arrow will select the item...

    But Select always selects the item. If you want to always select, always
    use Select. If you want to always do whatever is to the right, always use
    RightArrow. Seems consistent to me.

    > Scrolling through the guide and creating a season pass, you end up back
    > at the beginning of the guide again, and not where you left it.
    > Annoying!

    I'll agree there. In the very rare case where I use the guide for that, it
    should return to where it was.

    --
    "It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
    reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we

    I miss my UTV as well, mine was running fine but had to switch to TIVO
    and it's ok, but it's hard to believe that Microsoft did something
    better years before Tivo was popular and yet it didn't survive.

    I have a good working shell (good UTV no hard drive) still but soon I
    think it will be going out to the trash.

    By the way the 30 second skip is set up like this...
    Start a recording....
    Press Select Play Select 3 0 Select

    ---TheDoctor

    Frank J. Perricone <hawthorn@sover.net> wrote:
    > Press Select on the first one, then use Channel Down to scroll through
    > them, to get the same effect. You can also use Clear to delete a recording
    > from that screen.

    That helps a little, but still slow, since you might only want to check up
    on what has been scheduled in the past week and just ignore all the music
    selections, for example. With 10 entries per page you can pick out the
    Futurama or whatever episodes to look at a look quicker.

    > > Inconsisent UI... in most places right-arrow will select the item...

    > But Select always selects the item. If you want to always select, always
    > use Select. If you want to always do whatever is to the right, always use
    > RightArrow. Seems consistent to me.

    The problem is that left arrow is used to exit a screen, so it's natural
    to leave your hand on the arrow pad and use the right arrow to enter
    stuff, especially since it works on many screens.

    --

    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
    > There is a remote code to get this that was posted here recently IIRC
    > (similar to the 30 second skip; undocumented, unsupported, but well
    > known) that does something like that for "Now Playing" - I don't know if

    Hmm... a googling around says

    http://tivo.drosoph.com/

    Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, 7, 8 -- "DESCRIPTION PREVIEW"

    Do it in Now Playing, turns on the "Description Preview" in the Now
    Playing List. This allows you to see a short description for each
    recording while scrolling through the now playing list.

    I'll see if that works on my machine when I get home (the icons don't
    list it for a DirecTiVo at all).

    That could be very useful!

    --

    * Stephen Harris Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
    >> There is a remote code to get this that was posted here recently
    >> IIRC (similar to the 30 second skip; undocumented, unsupported,
    >> but well known) that does something like that for "Now Playing" -
    >> I don't know if
    >
    > Hmm... a googling around says
    >
    > http://tivo.drosoph.com/
    >
    > Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, 7, 8 -- "DESCRIPTION
    > PREVIEW"
    >
    > Do it in Now Playing, turns on the "Description Preview" in the
    > Now Playing List. This allows you to see a short description
    > for each recording while scrolling through the now playing
    > list.
    >
    > I'll see if that works on my machine when I get home (the icons
    > don't list it for a DirecTiVo at all).
    >
    > That could be very useful!

    If you are running 6.X version of the DTivo software it will work.

    --
    David

    Stephen Harris <usenet@spuddy.org> wrote:
    > Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
    > > There is a remote code to get this that was posted here recently IIRC
    > > (similar to the 30 second skip; undocumented, unsupported, but well
    > > known) that does something like that for "Now Playing" - I don't know if

    > Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, 7, 8 -- "DESCRIPTION PREVIEW"

    > Do it in Now Playing, turns on the "Description Preview" in the Now

    Well, that's... interesting! It does a very very nice feature, and
    turns on descriptions in the Now Playing list. However, it does
    emphasis a problem with the Tivo interface; all the "pretty graphic"
    overhead wasting screen space means that the list is restricted to 5
    lines. I think I'll keep the option on, simply because it allows me to
    pick episodes to play a lot quicker, but it really looks messy.

    The data doesn't show in the "To Do list", unfortunately.

    I never understood why the Tivo wasted screen display with the animated
    top-line graphics... why would I want to see a massive DTV logo, a
    massive TiVo logo and an animated "DirecTV" display running behind the
    "Now playing" header? Such a waste of screen space!

    TiVo animations are "pretty" but wasteful. UTV animations were
    functional.

    Hmmm... turning this function on seems to make screen updates slower;
    scrolling between pages (now more frequent because of less lines per
    page) causes a larger period of blankness as the page is refreshed.
    Odd!

    I think I'll keep the option turned on, but it still reminds me of what
    the UTV did better!

    The subject line of this thread still holds :-)

    --

    Stephen Harris (usenet@spuddy.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > However, it does
    > emphasis a problem with the Tivo interface; all the "pretty graphic"
    > overhead wasting screen space means that the list is restricted to 5
    > lines.

    Those "pretty graphics" are so that the important text will remain in the
    "safe area".

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I have a question that could affect our entire

    Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
    > Stephen Harris (usenet@spuddy.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > However, it does
    > > emphasis a problem with the Tivo interface; all the "pretty graphic"
    > > overhead wasting screen space means that the list is restricted to 5
    > > lines.

    > Those "pretty graphics" are so that the important text will remain in the
    > "safe area".

    I understand that, but it's way overkill and can be used for other
    not-so-important stuff - eg the program descriptions :-)

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org
    The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
    My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.

    Stephen Harris (usenet@spuddy.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > Those "pretty graphics" are so that the important text will remain in the
    > > "safe area".
    >
    > I understand that, but it's way overkill and can be used for other
    > not-so-important stuff - eg the program descriptions :-)

    Anything you want the user to see can't be there, though. Even "backdoors"
    follow the TiVo UI rules.

    It bugs me, too, because my TV has 2-3% overscan, and not the 10-15% that
    would be necessary to need such a large safe area. The Fox sports score
    bar is really annoying, since there is 2" of space above it on my 38" TV.
    It's pretty much right in the middle of the action for me.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "...the flames began at a prophylactic recycling
    | plant, near the edge of the forest..."
    |
    | -- "WarGames"

    Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
    > Stephen Harris (usenet@spuddy.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > > Those "pretty graphics" are so that the important text will remain in the
    > > > "safe area".
    > >
    > > I understand that, but it's way overkill and can be used for other
    > > not-so-important stuff - eg the program descriptions :-)

    > Anything you want the user to see can't be there, though. Even "backdoors"
    > follow the TiVo UI rules.

    I think you missed the point of "overkill". The header line and left margin
    is way greater than that needed to remain in the safe area.

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org
    The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
    My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.

    Stephen Harris (usenet@spuddy.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > I think you missed the point of "overkill". The header line and left margin
    > is way greater than that needed to remain in the safe area.

    No, it's just about exactly the safe title area, which is something like
    15-20% overscan.

    In the normal NPL, the legs on the TiVo icon are inside the safe title
    area, but the TV "body" is outside. So, that bar is a little bigger than
    necessary, but it's not even a full line of the standard sized text
    display more, so they did about as good as they could.

    The info at the bottom about the sort mode is way outside the safe title
    area.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "He's an investment banker from Amsterdam.
    | Apparently he handles a lot of Bill Gates'
    | money, so, don't say anything derogatory
    | about the Netherlands or Microsoft."
    | "Oh, damn...there goes my opening joke about
    | the Dutchman trying to install Windows 95."
    | -- Niles and Frasier

    > In the "To Do List"... the UTV equivalent ("Upcoming Recordings") would
    > display a brief summary of the episode as you move the cursor over the
    > recording. With TiVo you have to press SELECT to see the same
    > information, and then exit that page.

    Just press channel up/down while looking at the Info page. It'll move to
    the next/previous one on the list.

    > Inconsisent UI... in most places right-arrow will select the item...
    > except in season pass manager where it "grabs" the item...

    The selection box shows the > right arrow when it can be used.

    > A variation of the Daily Show issue... VH1 Classic doesn't properly flag
    > shows (We Are The 80s, Pop Show etc, and repeat most shows twice a day -
    > the seem to have a 12 hour schedule)

    Complain to the network. There's not a lot any recorder can do when the
    network willfully provides deficient data.

    > [ Talking of the guide; in grid mode is it easy to skip forward in
    > 3 hour or 12 hour increments? I know you can do it quickly on the List
    > Mode view, but in Grid mode I can only skip by 1.5 hour increments ]

    At least grid mode is faster than it's been before.

    > The UTV has a nice habit of putting the current output into a small
    > window (similar to a PIP window) when doing a lot of stuff - eg looking
    > at the "My Shows" list, scrolling the guide and so on. This is so much
    > nicer than TiVo full screen displays.

    Get a couple of years older, you'll appreciate BIG TEXT.

    > A potential TiVo bug... I had one tuner doing a recording. The second
    > tuner was doing a suggestion recording.

    Just about everybody turns off the suggestions feature. It's a cool idea
    but in practice I've never found it useful.

    > I do think the TiVo is the best DVR currently on the market at the
    > moment, but I still prefer my old UTV; RIP.

    Yeah, apparently it's feature set wasn't enough to sustain the level of
    sales needed to survive.

    wkearney99 <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > A variation of the Daily Show issue... VH1 Classic doesn't properly flag
    > > shows (We Are The 80s, Pop Show etc, and repeat most shows twice a day -
    > > the seem to have a 12 hour schedule)

    > Complain to the network. There's not a lot any recorder can do when the
    > network willfully provides deficient data.

    We need a Season pass with time restrictions. For VH1C something like
    "Pop Show between midnight and midday" would solve the problem. I'm sure
    a similar restriction for Daily Show would work.

    > > [ Talking of the guide; in grid mode is it easy to skip forward in
    > > 3 hour or 12 hour increments? I know you can do it quickly on the List
    > > Mode view, but in Grid mode I can only skip by 1.5 hour increments ]

    > At least grid mode is faster than it's been before.

    Yes; the whole series 2 with 6.2 software is a lot faster than a series 1
    with 3.1 software!

    > Get a couple of years older, you'll appreciate BIG TEXT.

    I'll be rich enough then to get a BIG TV... I hope! :-) :-)

    > Just about everybody turns off the suggestions feature. It's a cool idea
    > but in practice I've never found it useful.

    I've been glancing at it, but all it seems to be recording for me now is
    the various Star Trek's and Outer Limits. I've watched a few things it
    suggested, but am debating whether to turn it off. At least it doesn't
    take up any great amounts of real-estate on the now playing list, due to
    folders!

    > > I do think the TiVo is the best DVR currently on the market at the
    > > moment, but I still prefer my old UTV; RIP.

    > Yeah, apparently it's feature set wasn't enough to sustain the level of
    > sales needed to survive.

    Bad advertising and a change in focus by Microsoft didn't help.

    --

    Randy S. (rswitt@nospam.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > Just about everybody turns off the suggestions feature. It's a cool idea
    > > but in practice I've never found it useful.
    >
    > Really!? My impressions are exactly the opposite. The kicker is that
    > even if you don't find it useful (which I can certainly accept), it
    > really doesn't *hurt* anything.

    It makes it quite a bit harder just to watch TV. I don't do it often,
    but sometimes I just want the TiVo to stay on the same channel I sat
    it on, even though I'm not pressing buttons. It's not important enough
    to bother to record (and for things like CNN for breaking news, you can't
    really do it anyway, since the program in the guide might end in two
    minutes), but I want it there.

    Also, if it's recording a suggestion and a scheduled recording (on a
    DirecTiVo), it offers to end the recording on the *other* tuner if you
    try and change channels. This can be confusing and lead to ending the
    wrong recording.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "...who paved the way for The Alan Parsons'

    > Randy S. (rswitt@nospam.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> > Just about everybody turns off the suggestions feature. It's a cool
    >> > idea
    >> > but in practice I've never found it useful.
    >>
    >> Really!? My impressions are exactly the opposite. The kicker is that
    >> even if you don't find it useful (which I can certainly accept), it
    >> really doesn't *hurt* anything.
    >
    > It makes it quite a bit harder just to watch TV. I don't do it often,
    > but sometimes I just want the TiVo to stay on the same channel I sat
    > it on, even though I'm not pressing buttons. It's not important enough
    > to bother to record (and for things like CNN for breaking news, you can't
    > really do it anyway, since the program in the guide might end in two
    > minutes), but I want it there.
    >
    > Also, if it's recording a suggestion and a scheduled recording (on a
    > DirecTiVo), it offers to end the recording on the *other* tuner if you
    > try and change channels. This can be confusing and lead to ending the
    > wrong recording.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife | "...who paved the way for The Alan Parsons'
    > | Project...which I believe was some sort
    > | of a hovercraft."
    > | -- Homer Simpson
    I agree - I hate the suggestions - for all of the above reasons. I know that
    some people love them, that it is TiVo's pride and joy and is used to
    justify the service charge. But I got fed up with TiVo switching from a
    program I was watching live while I was out of the room (typically I watch
    live sporting events and news) or asking me permission to change channels so
    that it could record a suggestion. It also cluttered up the now playing list
    with stuff that I don't care about. Most people I know who are new to TiVo
    complain about the junk that gets recorded, and once they understand the
    process make a decision on the "goodness" of the feature, many seem to end
    up turning it off.

    > I agree - I hate the suggestions - for all of the above reasons. I know that
    > some people love them, that it is TiVo's pride and joy and is used to
    > justify the service charge. But I got fed up with TiVo switching from a
    > program I was watching live while I was out of the room (typically I watch
    > live sporting events and news) or asking me permission to change channels so
    > that it could record a suggestion. It also cluttered up the now playing list
    > with stuff that I don't care about. Most people I know who are new to TiVo
    > complain about the junk that gets recorded, and once they understand the
    > process make a decision on the "goodness" of the feature, many seem to end
    > up turning it off.

    The reasons that you and Jeff list for disliking them make sense. But
    "Suggestions" are hardly the justification for Tivo's service charge,
    that's just ridiculous.

    Randy S.

    Randy S. (rswitt@nospam.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > The reasons that you and Jeff list for disliking them make sense.

    If there was a "don't every record this show/episode as a suggestion" in
    the UI, I'd enable suggestions as fast as I could get to the TiVo. I
    really want it to record *suggestions*, not things that it knows I like
    because I already record them and give them thumbs up.

    > But
    > "Suggestions" are hardly the justification for Tivo's service charge,
    > that's just ridiculous.

    Agreed.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "A rabbit's foot? You slaughtered an innocent

    In article <pq2dnVNGRJNMum_fRVn-3A@speakeasy.net>,
    wkearney99 <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> A potential TiVo bug... I had one tuner doing a recording. The second
    >> tuner was doing a suggestion recording.
    >
    >Just about everybody turns off the suggestions feature. It's a cool idea
    >but in practice I've never found it useful.

    I've found it very useful -- since it's the only way to have even a vague
    approximation of how much disk space is available.

    One of the VERY few (like 2 or 3) times I wanted to watch a suggestion,
    it was all pixellated(*). At the time I even had one of the Tivo guys who
    used to post here check out the log on my system to see if my hard drive was
    going bad. It wasn't.

    (*) After seeing it a few times over the years, I think that there's a bug
    somewhere where the MPEG encoder is given invalid parameters. It happened
    on one of the CSIs in the past year too. In these cases, the picture isn't
    just very pixellated like with a bad signal, various big blocks move around
    to different parts of the screen. Like you'd see someone's head where his
    feet should be, for a second or so.. then sometimes it briefly gets better,
    and starts doing the same prob again. Usually, simply stopping the
    recording fixed it.. Once out of the few times it happened, I had to change
    channels and back. (This was all through the direct cable connection,
    with a strong signal seen on other tuners I had hooked up at the time.)
    --
    mattack@gmail.com

    On 2005-08-04, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
    > Randy S. (rswitt@nospam.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> The reasons that you and Jeff list for disliking them make sense.
    >
    > If there was a "don't every record this show/episode as a suggestion" in
    > the UI, I'd enable suggestions as fast as I could get to the TiVo. I

    It's never recorded anything as a suggestion for me after I gave it three
    thumbs down.

    --
    This is my .sig

    Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On 2005-08-04, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
    > > Randy S. (rswitt@nospam.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > >> The reasons that you and Jeff list for disliking them make sense.
    > >
    > > If there was a "don't every record this show/episode as a suggestion" in
    > > the UI, I'd enable suggestions as fast as I could get to the TiVo. I

    > It's never recorded anything as a suggestion for me after I gave it three
    > thumbs down.

    I own all ST:TNG and ST:DS9 DVDs. I'd like to "thumbs up" these programs
    but _not_ record them as suggestions (pointless to record them since I own
    the DVD).

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org
    The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
    My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.

    Stephen Harris (usenet@spuddy.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > It's never recorded anything as a suggestion for me after I gave it three
    > > thumbs down.
    >
    > I own all ST:TNG and ST:DS9 DVDs. I'd like to "thumbs up" these programs
    > but _not_ record them as suggestions (pointless to record them since I own
    > the DVD).

    Exactly. I want it to suggest shows similar to what it knows I like, but
    not the actual shows.

    --

    In article <MPG.1d5c90dcc68b58ad989ed9@news.nabs.net>, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
    >Stephen Harris (usenet@spuddy.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> > It's never recorded anything as a suggestion for me after I gave it three
    >> > thumbs down.
    >>
    >> I own all ST:TNG and ST:DS9 DVDs. I'd like to "thumbs up" these programs
    >> but _not_ record them as suggestions (pointless to record them since I own
    >> the DVD).
    >
    >Exactly. I want it to suggest shows similar to what it knows I like, but
    >not the actual shows.

    Thats why you give the show 1 thumbs up. If you give it 3 thumbs up it will
    almost always record that series all the time.

    GMAN (whodothere@whocares.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > >Exactly. I want it to suggest shows similar to what it knows I like, but
    > >not the actual shows.
    > >
    > Thats why you give the show 1 thumbs up.

    If you do that, the show *will* get recorded as a suggestion, and I want
    it *not* to record it at all. This is no more a "suggestion" than if I
    tell you that I like "The Simpsons" so you loan me "The Simpsons" season 1
    DVD set and say "Here's something I suggest you view because I *think* you
    might like it".

    What I want from the suggestions engine is to have the reruns of "Batman:
    The Animated Series" and "Superman" (now showing on Boomerang) be suggested
    because I have given "Justice League", "Batman Beyond", and "The Batman"
    thumbs up. Unfortunately, the suggestion engine doesn't do that...it just
    "suggests" reruns of those three series.

    > If you give it 3 thumbs up it will
    > almost always record that series all the time.

    No, the number of thumbs doesn't affect the frequency of the recording.
    Once a the suggestion engine decides that a show "hits" as a suggestion,
    then every episode of that show will be recorded as long as nothing with
    a higher priority is in the way. Although shows with more thumbs have a
    higher priority, if they aren't on very often, they won't be recorded much.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Wow, I've never seen you this

    On 2005-08-05, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

    > What I want from the suggestions engine is to have the reruns of "Batman:
    > The Animated Series" and "Superman" (now showing on Boomerang) be suggested
    > because I have given "Justice League", "Batman Beyond", and "The Batman"
    > thumbs up. Unfortunately, the suggestion engine doesn't do that...it just
    > "suggests" reruns of those three series.

    My TiVo suggestions will record those other shows and not just the three
    you've already thumbed up.

    >> If you give it 3 thumbs up it will
    >> almost always record that series all the time.
    >
    > No, the number of thumbs doesn't affect the frequency of the recording.
    > Once a the suggestion engine decides that a show "hits" as a suggestion,
    > then every episode of that show will be recorded as long as nothing with
    > a higher priority is in the way. Although shows with more thumbs have a
    > higher priority, if they aren't on very often, they won't be recorded much.

    The suggestion engine isn't nearly as simple as you make it out to seem.
    Although it does take some time to train, if you stick with it, it really
    works well.

    --
    This is my .sig

    Mike Hunt (in2sheep@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > My TiVo suggestions will record those other shows and not just the three
    > you've already thumbed up.

    Well, mine *might* if I had only those three shows, but with 20-30 shows
    thumbed up, nothing is suggested but shows I have already thumbed up.

    > The suggestion engine isn't nearly as simple as you make it out to seem.
    > Although it does take some time to train, if you stick with it, it really
    > works well.

    If by "train", you mean give thumbs up and down to shows I like and don't
    like, that's what I have done. Is there some special setup I have missed?

    --
    Jeff Rife | "The Babylon Project was our last, best hope

    Mike Hunt wrote:

    > It's never recorded anything as a suggestion for me after I gave it three
    > thumbs down.

    Giving three thumbs down on an episode tells TiVo that you hate the
    episode, hate the series, hate the director, hate the stars and
    the guest stars. Three thumbs down results in collateral damage, so
    use it sparingly.
    -Joe

    * Fred Bloggs wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > I agree - I hate the suggestions - for all of the above reasons. I know that
    > some people love them, that it is TiVo's pride and joy and is used to
    > justify the service charge. But I got fed up with TiVo switching from a
    > program I was watching live while I was out of the room

    This I hate. I only recently enabled suggestions to keep an eye on space
    and just recently had this happen to me. It has not been happening
    frequently so I can live with it for now.

    >(typically I watch
    > live sporting events and news) or asking me permission to change channels so
    > that it could record a suggestion.

    If it did this I wouldn't mind, but it just switched. (Dtivo) It does
    ask for scheduled shows.

    > It also cluttered up the now playing list
    > with stuff that I don't care about.

    With folders this is moot, all of them are in one folder called
    suggestions, in fact this makes it a much better 'space gauge'. If you
    assume everything is at least 1/2 hour, the number of programs is listed
    next to the folder, some quick math and you have a good approximation.

    > Most people I know who are new to TiVo
    > complain about the junk that gets recorded, and once they understand the
    > process make a decision on the "goodness" of the feature, many seem to end
    > up turning it off.

    I was one of the above until recently and I have had my Tivos for ~2
    years. We shall see how it goes.

    --
    David
    Are you ever going to do the dishes? Or will you change your major to biology?

    On 2005-08-09, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    > * Fred Bloggs wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >> I agree - I hate the suggestions - for all of the above reasons. I know that
    >> some people love them, that it is TiVo's pride and joy and is used to
    >> justify the service charge. But I got fed up with TiVo switching from a
    >> program I was watching live while I was out of the room
    >
    > This I hate. I only recently enabled suggestions to keep an eye on space
    > and just recently had this happen to me. It has not been happening
    > frequently so I can live with it for now.

    Solved by not watching live TV. I would have a very hard time going back
    to watching live TV. Even for sporting events and news, I record it
    instead of watching it live.

    >>(typically I watch
    >> live sporting events and news) or asking me permission to change channels so
    >> that it could record a suggestion.
    >
    > If it did this I wouldn't mind, but it just switched. (Dtivo) It does
    > ask for scheduled shows.

    It always asks, even for suggestions. Perhaps you weren't around when it
    did ask? (this is how both my SA1 and DTiVo1 work, I guess series2 boxes
    could be different)

    >> Most people I know who are new to TiVo
    >> complain about the junk that gets recorded, and once they understand the
    >> process make a decision on the "goodness" of the feature, many seem to end
    >> up turning it off.
    >
    > I was one of the above until recently and I have had my Tivos for ~2
    > years. We shall see how it goes.

    Most people I know with TiVo have suggestions on and generally enjoy the
    things TiVo picks for them. Of course, one has to train the TiVo first
    before it starts really working well.

    --
    This is my .sig

    One thing TiVo lacks is a reminder/scheduler
    WITHOUT recording feature.Which is the biggest reason I keep my WEBTV
    Plus unit hooked up to my entertainment/TV system.WEBTV Plus has this
    feature,and I find it useful to schedule live sporting games and
    events,but I do not want to record them.To me,watching sports is best
    LIVE anyway.I do not want some inconsiderate jerk telling me the score
    of the game before I have viewed it.
    If TiVo had this,I would probably use it a lot.

    * Mike Hunt wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > On 2005-08-09, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >> * Fred Bloggs wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    >>> I agree - I hate the suggestions - for all of the above reasons. I know that
    >>> some people love them, that it is TiVo's pride and joy and is used to
    >>> justify the service charge. But I got fed up with TiVo switching from a
    >>> program I was watching live while I was out of the room

    >> This I hate. I only recently enabled suggestions to keep an eye on space
    >> and just recently had this happen to me. It has not been happening
    >> frequently so I can live with it for now.

    > Solved by not watching live TV. I would have a very hard time going back
    > to watching live TV. Even for sporting events and news, I record it
    > instead of watching it live.

    Yeah, I dont watch much if any. Sometime I use the TV for background
    noise so I dont 'burn' a show that I schedule. Someimtes I get myself
    involved in the 'noise'. Its usually a movie anyway. no commercials and
    no real difference from live in this scenario, but I agree.

    >>>(typically I watch
    >>> live sporting events and news) or asking me permission to change channels so
    >>> that it could record a suggestion.

    >> If it did this I wouldn't mind, but it just switched. (Dtivo) It does
    >> ask for scheduled shows.

    > It always asks, even for suggestions. Perhaps you weren't around when it
    > did ask?

    I suppose its possible. I will keep a closer eye.

    > (this is how both my SA1 and DTiVo1 work, I guess series2 boxes
    > could be different)

    >>> Most people I know who are new to TiVo
    >>> complain about the junk that gets recorded, and once they understand the
    >>> process make a decision on the "goodness" of the feature, many seem to end
    >>> up turning it off.

    >> I was one of the above until recently and I have had my Tivos for ~2
    >> years. We shall see how it goes.

    > Most people I know with TiVo have suggestions on and generally enjoy the
    > things TiVo picks for them. Of course, one has to train the TiVo first
    > before it starts really working well.

    I have had them off since the day after I plugged them both in. I just
    turned them on on one of the Tivo's to see how I like it.

    So far only one complaint.

    --
    David
    You'll wish that you had done some of the hard things when they were easier

    "SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > One thing TiVo lacks is a reminder/scheduler
    > WITHOUT recording feature.Which is the biggest reason I keep my WEBTV
    > Plus unit hooked up to my entertainment/TV system.WEBTV Plus has this
    > feature,and I find it useful to schedule live sporting games and
    > events,but I do not want to record them.To me,watching sports is best
    > LIVE anyway.I do not want some inconsiderate jerk telling me the score
    > of the game before I have viewed it.
    > If TiVo had this,I would probably use it a lot.

    Just because you schedule a recording doesn't mean you can't watch it while
    it's on. Schedule the recording, watch it in real time right after it starts,
    delete the recording as soon as it's over. That accomplishes exactly what you
    want and prevents Tivo from trying to record something else in the middle of
    your game/show.

    Ken

    "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
    >* Fred Bloggs wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >> I agree - I hate the suggestions - for all of the above reasons. I know
    >> that
    >> some people love them, that it is TiVo's pride and joy and is used to
    >> justify the service charge. But I got fed up with TiVo switching from a
    >> program I was watching live while I was out of the room
    >
    > This I hate. I only recently enabled suggestions to keep an eye on space
    > and just recently had this happen to me. It has not been happening
    > frequently so I can live with it for now.

    On the very rare occasion that I want to watch something live, I still tell
    Tivo to record it. I can watch it live, Tivo won't try to change the channel,
    and if I really want to go back and watch part of it again, I can. Otherwise
    I delete it when the show is over. Plus, if something comes up like a phone
    call during the show, I can pause it (for more than 30 minutes) and not miss
    anything.

    Ken

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:25:21 -0400, "Ken Alverson"
    <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote:

    > On the very rare occasion that I want to watch something live, I still tell
    > Tivo to record it. I can watch it live, Tivo won't try to change the channel,
    > and if I really want to go back and watch part of it again, I can. Otherwise
    > I delete it when the show is over. Plus, if something comes up like a phone
    > call during the show, I can pause it (for more than 30 minutes) and not miss
    > anything.

    Plus if your plans change and you miss it, it'll still be there.
    --

    * Ken Alverson Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
    >>* Fred Bloggs wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >>
    >>> I agree - I hate the suggestions - for all of the above reasons.
    >>> I know that
    >>> some people love them, that it is TiVo's pride and joy and is
    >>> used to justify the service charge. But I got fed up with TiVo
    >>> switching from a program I was watching live while I was out of
    >>> the room
    >>
    >> This I hate. I only recently enabled suggestions to keep an eye
    >> on space and just recently had this happen to me. It has not been
    >> happening frequently so I can live with it for now.
    >
    > On the very rare occasion that I want to watch something live, I
    > still tell Tivo to record it. I can watch it live, Tivo won't try
    > to change the channel, and if I really want to go back and watch
    > part of it again, I can. Otherwise I delete it when the show is
    > over. Plus, if something comes up like a phone call during the
    > show, I can pause it (for more than 30 minutes) and not miss
    > anything.

    Great Idea, implimented :)

    --
    David

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Stephen Harris wrote:

    > http://tivo.drosoph.com/
    >
    > Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, 7, 8 -- "DESCRIPTION PREVIEW"
    >
    > Do it in Now Playing, turns on the "Description Preview" in the Now
    > Playing List. This allows you to see a short description for each
    > recording while scrolling through the now playing list.

    One of my Tivos got the 7.2 upgrade the other night and this really nice
    backdoor has been either removed or moved to another key sequence :-(

Ptv Tivo Tivo