Directv DVR service fee

I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that the
monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go into
change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.

Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee less
than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
DVR service?

Art
20 answers Last reply
More about directv dvr service fee

    In article
    <oC0Qe.684460$cg1.415472@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    "Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
    > An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that the
    > monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
    > And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go into
    > change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee less
    > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
    > DVR service?

    New customers and anyone changing a unit get hit with the new higher fee.

    "Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:oC0Qe.684460$cg1.415472@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
    > An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that the
    > monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
    > And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go into
    > change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee less
    > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
    > DVR service?

    The $5.99 monthly DVR service fee is rumored to apply to those adding
    DVR equipment. IE, if you don't make DVR changes to your account,
    the $4.99 fee will apply until it is increased for all. Service fees can change
    at anytime.

    On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee less
    > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
    > DVR service?

    DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.

    --
    This is my .sig

    Thanks, I'll try to avoid changing the DVR service.
    Art
    "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <oC0Qe.684460$cg1.415472@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    > "Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
    > > An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that
    the
    > > monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
    > > And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go
    into
    > > change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
    less
    > > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
    getting
    > > DVR service?
    >
    > New customers and anyone changing a unit get hit with the new higher fee.

    Of course, if you have the TOTAL CHOICE PREMIERE package (all channels
    except adult) there is NO DVR fee.

    "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
    >> less
    >> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
    >> getting
    >> DVR service?
    >
    > DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
    >
    > --
    > This is my .sig

    They do, but it's not available to the public yet.

    I noticed in my account on the programming changing page where I could
    modify the premium channel selections it's showing a dollar. So I guess
    when I go click SHO in October to check out the new horror series my dvr fee
    will
    increase then, if not before.

    "Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
    > An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that the
    > monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
    > And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go
    > into
    > change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
    > less
    > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
    > DVR service?
    >
    > Art

    My bad assumption then. I noticed on the promotion insert and website,
    that there is no mention of TIVO, just DirectV DVR. Also, the picture of the
    DVR on the insert has no TIVO logo on it.
    "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
    less
    > > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
    getting
    > > DVR service?
    >
    > DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
    >
    > --
    > This is my .sig

    Mine doesn't show anything like that. I already get 1 premium movie channel
    which is checked. And the "Directv DVR Service ($4.99/monthly)" box is
    checked. Mine doesn't show $1 anywhere.

    > Mine doesn't show anything like that. I already get 1 premium movie
    > channel
    > which is checked. And the "Directv DVR Service ($4.99/monthly)" box is
    > checked. Mine doesn't show $1 anywhere.

    I checked it again and it's back to saying $4.99. LOL

    On 2005-08-28, Michael Walker <mike1977@despammed.com> wrote:
    > "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
    >>> less
    >>> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
    >>> getting
    >>> DVR service?
    >>
    >> DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
    >
    > They do, but it's not available to the public yet.

    Nothing but vaporware, FUD, and rumors is what they have.

    --
    This is my .sig

    Mike Hunt said:
    ----"Nothing but vaporware,FUD,and rumors is what they have."----

    Reply:
    Being as the Spaceway 1 satellite is undergoing field testing (Ka-Band
    has not been used for video service in the CONUS area before for
    commercial purposes) and it is not scheduled to go into service until
    the end of the year,it would be kind of silly to release for sale
    receivers that currently cannot receive any programming yet would it
    not?

    In article <5W7Qe.10764$HM2.7377@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
    "Michael Walker" <mike1977@despammed.com> wrote:

    > "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
    > >> less
    > >> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
    > >> getting
    > >> DVR service?
    > >
    > > DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
    > >
    > > --
    > > This is my .sig
    >
    > They do, but it's not available to the public yet.

    Then they don't have one. Simple really.

    In article <2497-43113038-576@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net>,
    SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

    > Mike Hunt said:
    > ----"Nothing but vaporware,FUD,and rumors is what they have."----
    >

    > Reply:
    > Being as the Spaceway 1 satellite is undergoing field testing (Ka-Band
    > has not been used for video service in the CONUS area before for
    > commercial purposes) and it is not scheduled to go into service until
    > the end of the year,it would be kind of silly to release for sale
    > receivers that currently cannot receive any programming yet would it
    > not?

    Working hard, aren't we, to make excuses for DirecTv. FACT IS: There own
    model DVR isn't ready for Prime Time yet for many other reasons.

    In article <5W7Qe.10764$HM2.7377@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
    "Michael Walker" <mike1977@despammed.com> wrote:

    > "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
    > >> less
    > >> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
    > >> getting
    > >> DVR service?
    > >
    > > DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
    > >
    > > --
    > > This is my .sig
    >
    > They do, but it's not available to the public yet.

    Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
    photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
    ugly unit.

    Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
    > Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
    > photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
    > ugly unit.

    However, the troubleshooting guide (linked from the DVR Q&A page) does
    mention TiVo and the screenshots are still TiVo screenshots.

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org

    In article <g6nsed.a9f.ln@spuddy.org>,
    usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris) wrote:

    > Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
    > > Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
    > > photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
    > > ugly unit.
    >
    > However, the troubleshooting guide (linked from the DVR Q&A page) does
    > mention TiVo and the screenshots are still TiVo screenshots.

    Leftovers.
    How many times have you gone to a major software company's website for
    technical info and found what you were looking for to be either way out
    of date or simply wrong?
    If I had a dollar for every time that happened...

    Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <g6nsed.a9f.ln@spuddy.org>,
    > usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris) wrote:

    > > Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
    > > > Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
    > > > photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
    > > > ugly unit.
    > >
    > > However, the troubleshooting guide (linked from the DVR Q&A page) does
    > > mention TiVo and the screenshots are still TiVo screenshots.

    > Leftovers.
    > How many times have you gone to a major software company's website for
    > technical info and found what you were looking for to be either way out
    > of date or simply wrong?

    Actually, I think this is the opposite case now; they are preparing for
    the rollout of their own box in the future and so are proactively
    removing references to TiVo, where possible. The URL of the "DirecTV
    DVR" box has "TIVO.asp"; image of the box they have on that page appears
    to be the R10 (I'm not sure) and it has the TiVo logo on the bottom
    right and while the page doesn't mention "with TiVo" it still has the
    TiVo trademark disclaimer at the bottom.

    --

    Kurt wrote:

    > Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
    > photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
    > ugly unit.

    If you're talking about the full-page newspaper ad, there is a small
    black TiVo logo in the lower right corner of the faceplate. I missed
    it the first time, but it is there.

    Same unit, different angle:
    http://www.directv.com/images/imagine/dvr/top_image_main.gif
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/TIVO.dsp

    -Joe

    Stephen Harris wrote:
    > The URL of the "DirecTV
    > DVR" box has "TIVO.asp"; image of the box they have on that page appears
    > to be the R10 (I'm not sure) and it has the TiVo logo on the bottom
    > right and while the page doesn't mention "with TiVo" it still has the
    > TiVo trademark disclaimer at the bottom.

    There is also the page title:
    <head>
    <title>DIRECTV® DVR WITH TiVo®</title>
    </head>