DVL-909 Question

I have just been given a DVL-909 by a friend to replace a Laser Disk
player I have had for years that broke. The unit has component video
outputs (as far as I can tell they are only available on the US unit),
however the component outputs only seem to work for the DVDs, not the
LaserDiscs, which only play in black & white. Since I am only
interested in the LaserDisc portion of this player I am trying to find
out if there is any way to get the LaserDiscs to output in color using
the component outputs. If possible I would prefer using the component
outputs over the S-Video or Composite video outputs. If anyone has any
experience with this unit I would appreciate any advice.
29 answers Last reply
More about dvl 909 question

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:17:38 GMT, Paul O'Malley <paulomalley@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I have just been given a DVL-909 by a friend to replace a Laser Disk
    >player I have had for years that broke. The unit has component video
    >outputs (as far as I can tell they are only available on the US unit),
    >however the component outputs only seem to work for the DVDs, not the
    >LaserDiscs, which only play in black & white. Since I am only
    >interested in the LaserDisc portion of this player I am trying to find
    >out if there is any way to get the LaserDiscs to output in color using
    >the component outputs. If possible I would prefer using the component
    >outputs over the S-Video or Composite video outputs. If anyone has any
    >experience with this unit I would appreciate any advice.

    Laserdisks store the video signal in composite form. Using any other cable
    other than composite will not yield the slightest improvement. In fact, if your
    TV is newer than the laserdisk player, using its comb filter (ie: using a
    composite signal) will be an improvement.

    Paul O'Malley wrote:
    > I have just been given a DVL-909 by a friend to replace a Laser Disk
    > player I have had for years that broke. The unit has component video
    > outputs (as far as I can tell they are only available on the US unit),
    > however the component outputs only seem to work for the DVDs, not the
    > LaserDiscs, which only play in black & white. Since I am only
    > interested in the LaserDisc portion of this player I am trying to find
    > out if there is any way to get the LaserDiscs to output in color using
    > the component outputs. If possible I would prefer using the component
    > outputs over the S-Video or Composite video outputs. If anyone has any
    > experience with this unit I would appreciate any advice.

    The component outputs are only for the DVD player and will not work
    with the LD player. You can only use the S-Video or composite outputs
    for LD. Which one to use depends on your display device. Your LD
    player has a 3 line digital comb filter, which is good but if you are
    using a modern TV, such as an HDTV, it likely has a better comb filter.
    If you wish to use the comb filter in the LD player, use the S-video
    output. If you believe your displays comb filter is better, then use
    the composite output. Using composite will bypass the LD players comb
    filter and use the one in the TV.

    I agree that most of the time it is better to use the composite output
    if you have a modern TV unless you have one of the higher end LD player
    that has a 3D comb filter, such as the X9 and S9.

    There's a third party add-on board that will enable RGB component
    output on the Laserdisc, see this page:
    http://www.bde.de/rgb.htm

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:36:45 GMT, NEWman <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote:

    >There's a third party add-on board that will enable RGB component
    >output on the Laserdisc, see this page:
    >http://www.bde.de/rgb.htm

    Waste of money and it won't make the slightest improvement.

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:31:21 GMT, AZ Nomad <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com>
    wrote:

    >>There's a third party add-on board that will enable RGB component
    >>output on the Laserdisc, see this page:
    >>http://www.bde.de/rgb.htm
    >
    >Waste of money and it won't make the slightest improvement.

    Have you tried/seen a unit with this mod?

    "NEWman" <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote in message
    >>>There's a third party add-on board that will enable RGB component
    >>>output on the Laserdisc, see this page:
    >>>http://www.bde.de/rgb.htm
    >>
    >>Waste of money and it won't make the slightest improvement.
    >
    > Have you tried/seen a unit with this mod?

    Laserdisc video is stored in composite format. Any modification to allow
    a component video connection will just adapt that composite video to
    component-compatible output, but will not actually improve the video
    quality any.

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:50:25 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <jzyber@mind-NOSPAM-spring.com> wrote:

    >"NEWman" <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Waste of money and it won't make the slightest improvement.
    >>
    >> Have you tried/seen a unit with this mod?
    >
    >Laserdisc video is stored in composite format. Any modification to allow
    >a component video connection will just adapt that composite video to
    >component-compatible output, but will not actually improve the video
    >quality any.

    Right, taking RGB from composite baseband video is exactly what a
    colour demodulator in a TV does when it takes a composite or Y/C
    signal and demodulates it and matrixes the result to the red, green,
    and blue guns of a picture tube. And quality varies widely depending
    upon the sophistication and cost of the demodulator. A comb filter has
    to be part of the circuit with laserdisc as the source. The comb
    filter and demodulator of the TV could very well give better results
    than some aftermarket box.

    The only advantage to a cheap RGB demodulator is that it can be used
    with an RGB-only monitor, such as a PC monitor, and in fact that there
    are consumer-grade boxes that take TV or a video signal and output to
    a PC/MAC monitor.

    I am lucky enough to have a broadcast demodulator made by Sony, it
    takes in composite or Y/C NTSC or PAL baseband video, puts the
    composite input through an adaptive 3-line comb filter, and outputs
    RGB and Yuv using an involved digital method. This box cost thousands
    of dollars when new, and still fetches a good sum from Jobbers. There
    is no "quick fix" to get RGB from composite with good results.

    ... Steve ..

    NEWman skrev:

    > What if the RGB is taken in the internal processing board of the LD
    > player *BEFORE* being recombined into composite to be outputted?

    Oh, you're so right man.

    The S-video signal is taken from a chip, that also has unused RGB-pins.
    I think it's a SONY chip.

    This subject has been touched before in this NG a couple of years ago.

    Brian Hougaard Baldersbæk

    On 27 Aug 2005 01:58:01 -0700, "[DK6400] Brian Hougaard Baldersbæk"
    <DK6400Brian@gmail.com> wrote:

    >NEWman skrev:
    >

    >> What if the RGB is taken in the internal processing board of the LD
    >> player *BEFORE* being recombined into composite to be outputted?
    >
    >Oh, you're so right man.
    >
    >The S-video signal is taken from a chip, that also has unused RGB-pins.
    >I think it's a SONY chip.

    That chip is part of the colour demodulator I referred to. The chip
    also has support for a comb filter.

    Read A Z Nomad's post, the laser uses baseband composite video, any
    Y/C output and RGB is extra processing, more easily accomplished in
    the Tv set.

    >This subject has been touched before in this NG a couple of years ago.
    >
    >Brian Hougaard Baldersbæk

    ... Steve ..

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:50:25 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <jzyber@mind-NOSPAM-spring.com> wrote:

    >"NEWman" <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Waste of money and it won't make the slightest improvement.
    >>
    >> Have you tried/seen a unit with this mod?
    >
    >Laserdisc video is stored in composite format. Any modification to allow
    >a component video connection will just adapt that composite video to
    >component-compatible output, but will not actually improve the video
    >quality any.

    What if the RGB is taken in the internal processing board of the LD
    player *BEFORE* being recombined into composite to be outputted?
    That would be the use of that board, obviously getting RGB *AFTER* it
    has been ricombined into composite would be pointless.

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:55:12 GMT, NEWman <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:50:25 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    ><jzyber@mind-NOSPAM-spring.com> wrote:

    >>"NEWman" <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote in message

    >>> Have you tried/seen a unit with this mod?
    >>
    >>Laserdisc video is stored in composite format. Any modification to allow
    >>a component video connection will just adapt that composite video to
    >>component-compatible output, but will not actually improve the video
    >>quality any.

    >What if the RGB is taken in the internal processing board of the LD
    >player *BEFORE* being recombined into composite to be outputted?
    >That would be the use of that board, obviously getting RGB *AFTER* it
    >has been ricombined into composite would be pointless.

    Then you're not talking about a laserdisk player. Laserdisk's have composite
    video stored on the disk itself. They don't extract RGB and then combine
    to a composite signal.

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:32:08 GMT, AZ Nomad <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com>
    wrote:

    >Then you're not talking about a laserdisk player. Laserdisk's have composite
    >video stored on the disk itself. They don't extract RGB and then combine
    >to a composite signal.

    I doubt that what you get on the composite output of the unit is the
    exact same thing that's printed on the disc.
    I'm not talking about ALL the LDP on the market, but only those who
    have "enhancements" of some sort to give a cleaner/sharper/better
    output signal, this unit (909) in particular.
    The LDP does some "work " on the signal, and to do that it has to work
    at component level.

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 05:28:00 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:

    >Read A Z Nomad's post, the laser uses baseband composite video, any
    >Y/C output and RGB is extra processing, more easily accomplished in
    >the Tv set.

    Getting RGB at the unit would eliminate the need to do the recombining
    in the unit and then the separation in the TV.
    You'll skip 2 steps that WILL add noise/artifacts.

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:30:49 GMT, NEWman
    <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 05:28:00 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    ><jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Read A Z Nomad's post, the laser uses baseband composite video, any
    >>Y/C output and RGB is extra processing, more easily accomplished in
    >>the Tv set.
    >>>
    >Getting RGB at the unit would eliminate the need to do the recombining
    >in the unit and then the separation in the TV.
    >You'll skip 2 steps that WILL add noise/artifacts.

    Laserdisc, like C-format and Quad tape, (but not home consumer formats
    or Betacam etc.) has the video recorded as composite. Period.
    Luninance and chroma are all combined into one signal. To obtain RGB
    is to use a colour demodulator, with its intrinsic likelihood of
    colour phase errors, incorrect saturation etc. There is no differnce
    whatsoever between obtaining RGB from a composite signal and detecting
    colour in a TV set. None. Outputting the compsite to the TV then
    using the TV to detect the colour has the same number of steps as
    demodulating to RGB at the player and outputting that to an RGB
    monitor. If any further processing is done to the RGB output then
    that is more steps than just using the composite. "Enhancements" are
    nothing to do with it.

    ... Steve ..

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:30:49 GMT, NEWman <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 05:28:00 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    ><jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:

    >>Read A Z Nomad's post, the laser uses baseband composite video, any
    >>Y/C output and RGB is extra processing, more easily accomplished in
    >>the Tv set.
    >>>
    >Getting RGB at the unit would eliminate the need to do the recombining
    >in the unit and then the separation in the TV.
    >You'll skip 2 steps that WILL add noise/artifacts.

    That would make sense if there really was recombining in the unit.

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:38:11 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:

    >Laserdisc, like C-format and Quad tape, (but not home consumer formats
    >or Betacam etc.) has the video recorded as composite. Period.

    Why do you people still insist on that point??????
    Nobody says the disc contains component data, what I'm TRYING to say
    is this: since the signal *IS* subject to some elaboration before
    going out there should be an advantage in tapping the signal before
    the last step.

    I have a question: how do the V-DNR, Freeze frame and "special
    effects" for CLV discs work?
    Don't you think that at some point there should be an AD conversion?
    Don't you think that to do that, the composite signal should be at
    least separated in Chroma and Luma parts?

    Then comes the theoretical part regarding the output:
    Since the unit, besides being an LD player, is ALSO a DVD player don't
    you think that maybe would be logical to use the same DA conversion
    circuit that is being used for the DVD?

    >Outputting the compsite to the TV then
    >using the TV to detect the colour has the same number of steps as
    >demodulating to RGB at the player and outputting that to an RGB
    >monitor.

    I disagree, we are speaking about a DVL 909 here, this unit doesn't
    have an unadulterated composite signal on the output plug.

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:52:18 GMT, NEWman
    <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:38:11 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    ><jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Laserdisc, like C-format and Quad tape, (but not home consumer formats
    >>or Betacam etc.) has the video recorded as composite. Period.
    >
    >Why do you people still insist on that point??????
    >Nobody says the disc contains component data, what I'm TRYING to say
    >is this: since the signal *IS* subject to some elaboration before
    >going out there should be an advantage in tapping the signal before
    >the last step.

    Then you want a player that does nothing to the signal, just a basic
    player like the S201, since more advanced players do have some digital
    processing after the RF demodulator used to recover the baseband video
    from the laser.

    >I have a question: how do the V-DNR, Freeze frame and "special
    >effects" for CLV discs work?
    >Don't you think that at some point there should be an AD conversion?
    >Don't you think that to do that, the composite signal should be at
    >least separated in Chroma and Luma parts?

    Yes, so?

    >Then comes the theoretical part regarding the output:
    >Since the unit, besides being an LD player, is ALSO a DVD player don't
    >you think that maybe would be logical to use the same DA conversion
    >circuit that is being used for the DVD?

    An Mpeg is by its nature made up of digital information comprising
    luminance, Red, and Blue. The RGB or more accurately Yuv output just
    taps the appropriate data streams (this is VERY much in layman terms!
    That's where the 4:2:2 and 4:1:1 desription for colour bandwidth comes
    from) An Mpeg is not composite, it doesn't have to have the components
    separated at any point.

    >>Outputting the compsite to the TV then
    >>using the TV to detect the colour has the same number of steps as
    >>demodulating to RGB at the player and outputting that to an RGB
    >>monitor.
    >
    >I disagree, we are speaking about a DVL 909 here, this unit doesn't
    >have an unadulterated composite signal on the output plug.

    So where's the advantage? The output of that player is composite, and
    the TV has the comb filter and colour demodulator. If you take a
    signal before the processing in the player then its still a composite
    signal, except noisier.

    ... Steve ..

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 03:23:47 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:52:18 GMT, NEWman
    ><koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote:

    >>On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:38:11 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    >><jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Laserdisc, like C-format and Quad tape, (but not home consumer formats
    >>>or Betacam etc.) has the video recorded as composite. Period.
    >>
    >>Why do you people still insist on that point??????
    >>Nobody says the disc contains component data, what I'm TRYING to say
    >>is this: since the signal *IS* subject to some elaboration before
    >>going out there should be an advantage in tapping the signal before
    >>the last step.

    >Then you want a player that does nothing to the signal, just a basic
    >player like the S201, since more advanced players do have some digital
    >processing after the RF demodulator used to recover the baseband video
    >from the laser.

    Can you name a single example of one that puts the signal through a comb filter
    and then reconstructs it into a composite.

    The DVL-909 is basically a CLD-D604 with a DV-505 DVD player inside and a
    fancy mechanism to house the 604 and 505 pickups. The DVL-909 service
    manual even states on the cover to refer to the DV-505 service guide for IC
    information descriptions.

    The LD signal is FM demodulated to composite analog, then goes to IC500
    (D-Video Processor) on the CLDM board where it is digitized to an 8-bit
    composite signal. It is then fed to the MYCB board to IC101 which is a
    Pioneer design where the TBC/Digital Memory/ DVNR happens and then the 8-bit
    signal is passed to IC301 which is the 3D comb Filter. The Analog Y/C
    signals from that is fed to IC620 which is a relay that selects to output
    the LD or DVD signal.

    The DVD signal goes to the DVDM board and the Y/C is sent to the IC620 relay
    on the MYCB board to output the DVD Y/C signal. Or if you have the
    Component output enable the Y/Cr/Cb signal goes to the MYCB board and
    immediately loops out to the ACVB board which are the terminal outputs(the
    LD section has NO path to this output at all).

    Now the Audio Section uses the same D/A's.

    So as others are trying to tell you, the DVL series machines are actually
    two separate players in one case Video wise. The only common circuitry is
    the power supply and the common buffer output stages.

    BTW, the composite signal is formed by mixing the Y/C signals you have
    selected to output so in theory the Y/C should be a cleaner LD picture.

    You are reading more in this than there is, what you are describing is not
    there!! The LD section does not even have any separate Y/C signals you can
    tap out in a digital domain, only signal available is the 8-bit parallel
    composite. The board on top processes the DVD signals and the boards on the
    bottom process the LD signals and the two shall never meet until output
    selection and buffering. I'd suggest taking the Analog immediately after
    the FM demodulation, but then again this would be a CLD-S201 and you didn't
    like that suggestion.

    Kurtis

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:38:11 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    > <jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Laserdisc, like C-format and Quad tape, (but not home consumer formats
    >>or Betacam etc.) has the video recorded as composite. Period.
    >
    > Why do you people still insist on that point??????
    > Nobody says the disc contains component data, what I'm TRYING to say
    > is this: since the signal *IS* subject to some elaboration before
    > going out there should be an advantage in tapping the signal before
    > the last step.
    >
    > I have a question: how do the V-DNR, Freeze frame and "special
    > effects" for CLV discs work?
    > Don't you think that at some point there should be an AD conversion?
    > Don't you think that to do that, the composite signal should be at
    > least separated in Chroma and Luma parts?
    >
    > Then comes the theoretical part regarding the output:
    > Since the unit, besides being an LD player, is ALSO a DVD player don't
    > you think that maybe would be logical to use the same DA conversion
    > circuit that is being used for the DVD?
    >
    >>Outputting the compsite to the TV then
    >>using the TV to detect the colour has the same number of steps as
    >>demodulating to RGB at the player and outputting that to an RGB
    >>monitor.
    >
    > I disagree, we are speaking about a DVL 909 here, this unit doesn't
    > have an unadulterated composite signal on the output plug.

    This unit CANNOT output RGB, It can output the Y/Cr/Cb (component) signal
    from DVD's if selected as it is recorded in that format. The player has
    NOTHING to generate the Y/Cr/CB (component), it only does the D/A and
    outputs these signals from the MPEG decoder chip as with any other DVD
    player. Again it CANNOT form the Y/Cr/Cb signal from a lower level signal
    and the LD section is totally separate as described in the other posting I
    made.

    Kurtis

    "AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 03:23:47 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter)
    > <jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:
    >

    > Can you name a single example of one that puts the signal through a comb
    > filter
    > and then reconstructs it into a composite.

    DVL-909 is a good one, there is a long list of players that do this.

    Kurtis

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:23:56 GMT, AZ Nomad <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com>
    wrote:

    >Can you name a single example of [an LD player] that puts the signal through
    >a comb filter and then reconstructs it into a composite.

    I can: Pioneer's top-of-the-line PAL player, the CLD-D925.

    I'll bet there are many others.

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:39:03 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >The LD signal is FM demodulated to composite analog, then goes to IC500
    >(D-Video Processor) on the CLDM board where it is digitized to an 8-bit
    >composite signal. It is then fed to the MYCB board to IC101 which is a
    >Pioneer design where the TBC/Digital Memory/ DVNR happens and then the 8-bit
    >signal is passed to IC301 which is the 3D comb Filter. The Analog Y/C
    >signals from that is fed to IC620 which is a relay that selects to output
    >the LD or DVD signal.
    [..]
    >The DVD signal goes to the DVDM board and the Y/C is sent to the IC620 relay
    >on the MYCB board to output the DVD Y/C signal. Or if you have the
    >Component output enable the Y/Cr/Cb signal goes to the MYCB board and
    >immediately loops out to the ACVB board which are the terminal outputs(the
    >LD section has NO path to this output at all).

    Ok, I got it. Still I would like to see the schematics myself.
    But what about the CLD 925 then? What does the RGB capable encoder
    present in that machine?
    And how could the add-on board that is sold, be compatible with both
    the 925 and DVL909?

    >You are reading more in this than there is, what you are describing is not
    >there!! The LD section does not even have any separate Y/C signals you can
    >tap out in a digital domain, only signal available is the 8-bit parallel
    >composite.
    > The board on top processes the DVD signals and the boards on the
    >bottom process the LD signals and the two shall never meet until output
    >selection and buffering.

    But both boards share the On Screen Display, where is this mixed
    into? In the IC101?

    >I'd suggest taking the Analog immediately after
    >the FM demodulation, but then again this would be a CLD-S201 and you didn't
    >like that suggestion.

    Wouldn't be possible to use the digitized data stream from the CLDM
    board?

    Wow, this is so cool! The wheel is being re-invented.
    Take Kurtis' word for it. He's dead on.
    And if you want to see the 909 schematic, simply order the service manual
    (RRV1871, in stock @ $51.20)....

    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:39:03 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The LD signal is FM demodulated to composite analog, then goes to IC500
    > >(D-Video Processor) on the CLDM board where it is digitized to an 8-bit
    > >composite signal. It is then fed to the MYCB board to IC101 which is a
    > >Pioneer design where the TBC/Digital Memory/ DVNR happens and then the
    8-bit
    > >signal is passed to IC301 which is the 3D comb Filter. The Analog Y/C
    > >signals from that is fed to IC620 which is a relay that selects to output
    > >the LD or DVD signal.
    > [..]
    > >The DVD signal goes to the DVDM board and the Y/C is sent to the IC620
    relay
    > >on the MYCB board to output the DVD Y/C signal. Or if you have the
    > >Component output enable the Y/Cr/Cb signal goes to the MYCB board and
    > >immediately loops out to the ACVB board which are the terminal
    outputs(the
    > >LD section has NO path to this output at all).
    >
    > Ok, I got it. Still I would like to see the schematics myself.
    > But what about the CLD 925 then? What does the RGB capable encoder
    > present in that machine?
    > And how could the add-on board that is sold, be compatible with both
    > the 925 and DVL909?
    >
    > >You are reading more in this than there is, what you are describing is
    not
    > >there!! The LD section does not even have any separate Y/C signals you
    can
    > >tap out in a digital domain, only signal available is the 8-bit parallel
    > >composite.
    > > The board on top processes the DVD signals and the boards on the
    > >bottom process the LD signals and the two shall never meet until output
    > >selection and buffering.
    >
    > But both boards share the On Screen Display, where is this mixed
    > into? In the IC101?
    >
    > >I'd suggest taking the Analog immediately after
    > >the FM demodulation, but then again this would be a CLD-S201 and you
    didn't
    > >like that suggestion.
    >
    > Wouldn't be possible to use the digitized data stream from the CLDM
    > board?

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:10:58 GMT, "ldservice"
    <service@nospam.laserdiscservice.com> wrote:

    >Wow, this is so cool! The wheel is being re-invented.
    >Take Kurtis' word for it. He's dead on.
    >And if you want to see the 909 schematic, simply order the service manual
    >(RRV1871, in stock @ $51.20)....

    Yep, Newman is taking quotes from Kurtis out of context and
    reinventing the laws of physics. quite clever actually. :-)

    ... Steve ..

    >"NEWman" <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:39:03 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:47:05 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <jazzhunterNotHere@internet.com> wrote:

    >>On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:44:23 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>This unit CANNOT output RGB, It can output the Y/Cr/Cb (component) signal
    >>>from DVD's if selected as it is recorded in that format. The player has
    >>
    >>AFAIK PAL units can also output RGB from the DVD section.
    >
    >Mpegs are rendered as Y (-r -b) or Y/Cr/Cb. RGB is the result of
    >matrixing those chroma and luminance components. There is no
    >difference, it's just a matter of what one wants as the final output.
    >"Matrixing" is the process of resistively mixing the luminance and
    >chroma components to obtain different values for the detected chroma,
    >again speaking in laymans terms.

    Please stop repeating again and again the same stuff ;-)
    Nobody is disputing about what is component, RGB, MPEG or whatever.

    Kurtis wrote:
    "This unit CANNOT output RGB"
    I Simply replied:
    "AFAIK PAL units can also output RGB from the DVD section"

    There's no LD talk involved in this part.

    >>> a) I found that my CLD-925
    >>[...]
    >>
    >>>As for taking out RGB, it again becomes what is better. The Sony Chip or your
    >>>monitor. LD is recorded in composite so the objective is to use the unit that
    >>>does the best job. RGB out could be OK but I'd guess not worth the return on
    >>>the design investment for Pioneer as most won't use it. Those that can afford
    >>>RGB projectors usually can afford the Faroudja line
    >>>doublers/triplers/quadruplers that are much nicer than this chip. This would be
    >>>more of a DIY project for someone that wanted to play as you'd need to design an
    >>>output drive circuit for each color and verify there are no time delays.
    >>>
    >>>Kurtis
    >>
    >>Here you don't deny the possibility to get RGB... So, have you changed
    >>your mind in the meantime? :)
    >

    >He said exactly what I've been saying and that he said in today's
    >post, that obtaining RGB is a process of DEMODULATING the chroma from
    >the composite video, again that's what the TV does.

    He replied to a specific question regarding the possibility to use the
    CXA 1645M RGB Encoder chip present in that unit (CLD -925).

    You just don't get it. When I talked about the return on investment for
    Pioneer that would be the return of designing a RGB decoder into the player.
    You are taking me way out of context and not understanding what I said.

    For the OSD, well you have two players here in one box and each has it's own
    OSD capability.

    You could design a circuit to use the 8-bit digital signal but it is
    digitized composite.

    THERE IS NO RGB or Y/Cr/Cb (Component) LD PLAYER AVAILABLE.

    My discussion here is over as you refuse to even listen to laserdiscservice
    who is Pioneer trained on the internals of the players from the beginning.

    Kurtis

    "NEWman" <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:39:03 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The LD signal is FM demodulated to composite analog, then goes to IC500
    >>(D-Video Processor) on the CLDM board where it is digitized to an 8-bit
    >>composite signal. It is then fed to the MYCB board to IC101 which is a
    >>Pioneer design where the TBC/Digital Memory/ DVNR happens and then the
    >>8-bit
    >>signal is passed to IC301 which is the 3D comb Filter. The Analog Y/C
    >>signals from that is fed to IC620 which is a relay that selects to output
    >>the LD or DVD signal.
    > [..]
    >>The DVD signal goes to the DVDM board and the Y/C is sent to the IC620
    >>relay
    >>on the MYCB board to output the DVD Y/C signal. Or if you have the
    >>Component output enable the Y/Cr/Cb signal goes to the MYCB board and
    >>immediately loops out to the ACVB board which are the terminal outputs(the
    >>LD section has NO path to this output at all).
    >
    > Ok, I got it. Still I would like to see the schematics myself.
    > But what about the CLD 925 then? What does the RGB capable encoder
    > present in that machine?
    > And how could the add-on board that is sold, be compatible with both
    > the 925 and DVL909?
    >
    >>You are reading more in this than there is, what you are describing is not
    >>there!! The LD section does not even have any separate Y/C signals you
    >>can
    >>tap out in a digital domain, only signal available is the 8-bit parallel
    >>composite.
    >> The board on top processes the DVD signals and the boards on the
    >>bottom process the LD signals and the two shall never meet until output
    >>selection and buffering.
    >
    > But both boards share the On Screen Display, where is this mixed
    > into? In the IC101?
    >
    >>I'd suggest taking the Analog immediately after
    >>the FM demodulation, but then again this would be a CLD-S201 and you
    >>didn't
    >>like that suggestion.
    >
    > Wouldn't be possible to use the digitized data stream from the CLDM
    > board?

    I have to beg your pardon: yesterday I've received your 2nd message
    but not the first, so I replied to that before the other.
    In the first you explained the signal path and denied the mixing of
    the LD and DVD part, but I hadn't seen that when I replied to your
    2nd.
    The fact that you denied the possibility to get RGB from the DAC
    killed my interest in that operation.

    >You just don't get it. When I talked about the return on investment for
    >Pioneer that would be the return of designing a RGB decoder into the player.
    >You are taking me way out of context and not understanding what I said.

    Mmmh in that message you replied to someone who mentioned a chip and
    asked about it.
    But anyway doesn't matter.

    BTW I kept that old message because I would have liked to ask you to
    explain more about the possibility to use THAT chip.

    >THERE IS NO RGB or Y/Cr/Cb (Component) LD PLAYER AVAILABLE.

    Actually there are at least 2 European models with RGB.
    And before you or the others attack me: I perfectly know that they
    generate RGB from the composite and the quality is low.

    >My discussion here is over as you refuse to even listen to laserdiscservice
    >who is Pioneer trained on the internals of the players from the beginning.

    What have I done now? I got laserdiscservice message and I read it, he
    confirmed your affirmations, I didn't dispute that. I didn't reply to
    him.
    Do you want me to write this?:

    I WAS IN ERROR IN SUPPOSING THAT THE ELABORATION OF THE SIGNAL INSIDE
    THE LD UNIT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN DIGITAL COMPONENT FORM.

    INFACT THE DIGITIZED SIGNAL HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE A DIGITALISATION
    OF THE COMPOSITE SIGNAL TAKEN FROM THE DISC.

    I WAS IN ERROR IN SUPPOSING THAT A DAC WITH RGB OUTPUT CAPABILITY
    PRESENT IN THE UNIT, BECAUSE OF THE DVD SIDE, WOULD HAVE BEEN USED
    ALSO FOR THE LD SIDE.

    IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THAT LD AND DVD SIDES ARE SEPARATE.

    Ok? :-)

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:54:16 GMT, NEWman
    <koREMOVETHISteANDTHIStsu@libero.it> wrote:

    >I WAS IN ERROR IN SUPPOSING THAT THE ELABORATION OF THE SIGNAL INSIDE
    >THE LD UNIT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN DIGITAL COMPONENT FORM.

    What you were asking for is to have a complete colour demodulator in a
    laserdisc player. The unit would have to have tint and saturation
    controls, and since the sync level for laserdiscs vary there'd have to
    be a complete proc amp to accurately match the levels from the DVD
    side. And this is in a budget unit (which the DVL909 is) and for the
    purpose of providing redundant functionality (The tv does all this.)

    .. Steve ..

Laser Disc Players Video Components