Replay and IP phone liene

I have a replayTV 5160 which connects via the internet and an older 3030
which connects over the phone line. I am considering a move to SunRocket IP
phone service and giving up the land line, its cheaper and seems like the
right direction technically. I have heard that the quality will not allow
the older replay to connect over the IP phone line.

My question is has anybody had any experience with SunRocket or Vonage and
replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate on the Replay? What bandwidth
does your internet connection have?
6 answers Last reply
More about replay phone liene

    AT&T Callvanatge allows for dialup connections.

    It works.

    "Steve Weavers" <steve400@rcn.removetoreply.com> wrote in message
    >I have a replayTV 5160 which connects via the internet and an older 3030
    >which connects over the phone line. I am considering a move to SunRocket IP
    >phone service and giving up the land line, its cheaper and seems like the
    >right direction technically. I have heard that the quality will not allow
    >the older replay to connect over the IP phone line.
    >
    > My question is has anybody had any experience with SunRocket or Vonage and
    > replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate on the Replay? What
    > bandwidth does your internet connection have?

    Generally VoIP services suchas you are describing will not work with
    Data or Fax. There is, however, a work around.

    There is a method of getting your computer's modem to talk to the Replay
    modem and use it as your "internet gateway" Alas, it has been many
    years since I did those kind of tricks and then it was not with modern
    computers and modems (last time was with an 8088) so I won't try to tell
    you how to do it.

    But someone here has mentioned it in the past

    Option 2: Upgrade, There are advantages to upgrading

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    Steve Weavers wrote:
    > I have a replayTV 5160 which connects via the internet and an older 3030
    > which connects over the phone line. I am considering a move to SunRocket IP
    > phone service and giving up the land line, its cheaper and seems like the
    > right direction technically. I have heard that the quality will not allow
    > the older replay to connect over the IP phone line.
    >
    > My question is has anybody had any experience with SunRocket or Vonage and
    > replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate on the Replay? What bandwidth
    > does your internet connection have?

    I have SunRocket hooked up with Tivo, and it works great. I tried a
    couple different way of setting it up until I finally found the best
    way. It works great, and I have no complaints.

    ukcats4218016@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Steve Weavers wrote:
    > > I have a replayTV 5160 which connects via the internet and an older 3030
    > > which connects over the phone line. I am considering a move to SunRocket IP
    > > phone service and giving up the land line, its cheaper and seems like the
    > > right direction technically. I have heard that the quality will not allow
    > > the older replay to connect over the IP phone line.
    > >
    > > My question is has anybody had any experience with SunRocket or Vonage and
    > > replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate on the Replay? What bandwidth
    > > does your internet connection have?
    >
    > I have SunRocket hooked up with Tivo, and it works great. I tried a
    > couple different way of setting it up until I finally found the best
    > way. It works great, and I have no complaints.

    ukcats4218016: Would you mind explaining what "best way" you used to
    set it up?

    Thanks to all who responded to this.

    The SunRocket VoIP is now installed and works well as a phone line. The land
    line is no more. But, I am not able to make the rtv3030 connect. It will
    dial, there is a modem exchange, but then it just fails.

    The VoIP gateway is a Telco Access 211. Getting good information on this
    device seems to be difficult, but it is advertised as supporting a fax
    machine.

    MBoBlue: I did try *70,,*99,, that made no difference.

    ukcats4218016: I would like to know how you got the TiVo to work.

    "Steve Weavers" <steve400@rcn.removetoreply.com> wrote in message
    >I have a replayTV 5160 which connects via the internet and an older 3030
    >which connects over the phone line. I am considering a move to SunRocket IP
    >phone service and giving up the land line, its cheaper and seems like the
    >right direction technically. I have heard that the quality will not allow
    >the older replay to connect over the IP phone line.
    >
    > My question is has anybody had any experience with SunRocket or Vonage and
    > replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate on the Replay? What
    > bandwidth does your internet connection have?

    You might be on to something there Steve... This is a suggestion to
    those who make VOIP hardware like the sunrocket

    GIve the unit a command interperter and have it undrestand a command,
    the command is #99#, and it means, "Fire up your internal modem in
    ANSWER mode and connect it direct to the net"

    (That by the way is the command to do exactly that with my cell phone,
    however it's a data line coming in)

    You might still fine it easier to have your computer do the work. BUt I
    don't know how to make the modem in the replay/showstopper "Blind Dial"
    (Dial w/o waiting for a dial tone) which makes the job so much easier

    Steve Weavers wrote:
    > Thanks to all who responded to this.
    >
    > The SunRocket VoIP is now installed and works well as a phone line. The land
    > line is no more. But, I am not able to make the rtv3030 connect. It will
    > dial, there is a modem exchange, but then it just fails.
    >
    > The VoIP gateway is a Telco Access 211. Getting good information on this
    > device seems to be difficult, but it is advertised as supporting a fax
    > machine.
    >
    > MBoBlue: I did try *70,,*99,, that made no difference.
    >
    > ukcats4218016: I would like to know how you got the TiVo to work.
    >
    > "Steve Weavers" <steve400@rcn.removetoreply.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a replayTV 5160 which connects via the internet and an older 3030
    >>which connects over the phone line. I am considering a move to SunRocket IP
    >>phone service and giving up the land line, its cheaper and seems like the
    >>right direction technically. I have heard that the quality will not allow
    >>the older replay to connect over the IP phone line.
    >>
    >>My question is has anybody had any experience with SunRocket or Vonage and
    >>replayTV? Did you need to lower the baud rate on the Replay? What
    >>bandwidth does your internet connection have?

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

Ptv Replaytv IP Phone ReplayTV