can REPLAY TV or TiVo be used without a subscription?

I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
positively buy a "subscription"?

best, Aaron

PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
drives?
17 answers Last reply
More about replay tivo subscription

    On 24 Jul 2005 15:19:20 -0700, aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:

    >I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
    >to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
    >to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
    >are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
    >use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
    >timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
    >positively buy a "subscription"?

    The Replay will do nothing but allow some "Setup" menu functions when
    isn't activated (subscribed).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    > I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
    > to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
    > to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
    > are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
    > use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
    > timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
    > positively buy a "subscription"?
    >
    > best, Aaron
    >
    > PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
    > drives?

    Some of the tivo models are available with a very limited free
    subscription & can be programmed like a VCR. I'm using a Toshiba SDH400
    (no longer a current model).

    There are several standalone DVD recorders on the market now that also
    have a hard drive in them that can be used to start watching a program
    while it's still being recorded. Just make sure that the model you
    select can use re-recordable DVD's.

    Now I've told you more than I know. :-)

    Charlie

    Sure,

    As a boat anchor, door stop, oversized paperweight, etc...

    Without a sub, they are worthless...

    There are ways to hack Tivo's, but finding that info is very difficult and
    to buy one is more expensive than simply making a DVR from an old computer
    and SnapStream software...

    CW

    aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:

    > PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
    > drives?

    Yes, there are other products that will do it, I use an ATI TV-Wonder
    card from time to time, therer are serveral other computer cards that
    will record video to your hard drive.

    And of course there is the competition

    Personal opionion is none are as good as replay though

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    CheezWiz wrote:
    > There are ways to hack Tivo's, but finding that info is very difficult and
    > to buy one is more expensive than simply making a DVR from an old computer
    > and SnapStream software...

    I have looked at "Tivo In A Box" at my local stores and, to be honest, I
    think a lifetime Replay is just about the same price as the TIVO w/o
    subscription.

    (note, I looked no further than the price tag) Cost of Tivo = Cost of
    Lifetime activation for the replay Replay, after rebates is 30 bucks,

    So the "Recovery" time is, what, 3 months
    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

    Re Read my post,,, I seperated out the cost of activation and the cost
    ofthe device itself. Tivo's sell for about what it cost me to lifetime
    my #3 replay (#1 is still monthly I think, though discounted, I'm not
    sure if I"m going to keep all 3 "live" forever)

    So, the difference in price is the cost of the replay (30bucks) in the
    box,which you quickly recover in fees

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

    I was talking about no-sub pre-hacked Tivo's which are illegal and
    expensive...

    CW
    "John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > CheezWiz wrote:
    >> There are ways to hack Tivo's, but finding that info is very difficult
    >> and to buy one is more expensive than simply making a DVR from an old
    >> computer and SnapStream software...
    >
    > I have looked at "Tivo In A Box" at my local stores and, to be honest, I
    > think a lifetime Replay is just about the same price as the TIVO w/o
    > subscription.
    >
    > (note, I looked no further than the price tag) Cost of Tivo = Cost of
    > Lifetime activation for the replay Replay, after rebates is 30 bucks,
    >
    > So the "Recovery" time is, what, 3 months
    > --
    > John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    > "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    > Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

    A friend of mine uses Snapstream with his ATI card and it is awesome..!
    Not only is the quality the same or better than my replay, he can watch his
    shows or live TV anywhere in the world.
    Plus he can add as many tuner cards as he has PCI slots in addition to his
    ATI card.

    > aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    >>
    >> PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
    >> drives?
    >
    > Yes, there are other products that will do it, I use an ATI TV-Wonder card
    > from time to time, therer are serveral other computer cards that will
    > record video to your hard drive.
    >
    > And of course there is the competition
    >
    > Personal opionion is none are as good as replay though
    >

    > --
    > John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    > "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    > Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

    On 24 Jul 2005 15:19:20 -0700, aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:

    >I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
    >to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
    >to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
    >are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
    >use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
    >timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
    >positively buy a "subscription"?
    >
    >best, Aaron
    >
    >PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
    >drives?

    What about this scenario?

    The way I understand it - the subscription with RTV is used to
    download the channel information and upcoming shows. Of course, you
    would use that information to select shows to record, etc.

    What if I have an RTV in the living room that has a subscription but I
    want to add a 2nd RTV to the bedroom, which wouldn't be used to record
    shows but would only be used to watch shows that were recorded on the
    living room RTV? Or, maybe I would transfer the shows from the living
    room RTV to a computer that acts as a RTV server (using DVArchive),
    and use the bedroom RTV to pull shows from there? I already know that
    I can pull shows from the living room RTV to the computer and watch
    the shows on the computer, so I wonder if adding a 2nd RTV would be
    any different.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    As we have discussed many, many times in this newsgroup, RTVs *do not*
    function without activation. If all you want is to stream shows from your
    RTV, build yourself a computer to do so.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Patriots87" <patriots87@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
    > On 24 Jul 2005 15:19:20 -0700, aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    >
    >>I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
    >>to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
    >>to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
    >>are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
    >>use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
    >>timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
    >>positively buy a "subscription"?
    >>
    >>best, Aaron
    >>
    >>PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
    >>drives?
    >
    > What about this scenario?
    >
    > The way I understand it - the subscription with RTV is used to
    > download the channel information and upcoming shows. Of course, you
    > would use that information to select shows to record, etc.
    >
    > What if I have an RTV in the living room that has a subscription but I
    > want to add a 2nd RTV to the bedroom, which wouldn't be used to record
    > shows but would only be used to watch shows that were recorded on the
    > living room RTV? Or, maybe I would transfer the shows from the living
    > room RTV to a computer that acts as a RTV server (using DVArchive),
    > and use the bedroom RTV to pull shows from there? I already know that
    > I can pull shows from the living room RTV to the computer and watch
    > the shows on the computer, so I wonder if adding a 2nd RTV would be
    > any different.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    <aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
    > to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
    > to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
    > are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
    > use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
    > timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
    > positively buy a "subscription"?

    The older model stand alone Tivos now commonly called the series 1 Tivos
    manufactured by Philips can be used to record by Time and channel just like
    a vcr without having to pay for a subscription and without having to hack
    it. They have not been manufactured for years, but these older models are
    readily available on ebay and other auction/sales sites.

    These ReplayTv bastards wouldn't want to share that information because they
    have a hard time accepting the fact that Tivo's features are better all
    around except for the networking features. So they won't openly admit that
    Tivo has a feature that RTV doesn't, especially when they'd like that
    feature.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote in message

    > WHy would I want a digital VCR?

    Does anyone make a digital video cassette recorder?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:20:46 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    <douglas@panix.com> spewed:
    >: The way I understand it - the subscription with RTV is used to
    >: download the channel information and upcoming shows. Of course, you
    >: would use that information to select shows to record, etc.
    >
    >The subscription makes the box work.
    >
    >When you buy a ReplayTV, you have a 10-day grace period to use it. After
    >10 days, you have to purchase a subscription. If you do not, the unit
    >will lock-out and display a message telling you that you need to buy
    >a subscription.
    >
    >If you have a unit with a subscription, and do not let it connect, it
    >will eventually complain and say that it needs to connect to the mothership
    >to verify the subscription.
    >
    >There is no way around paying for activation. Period.

    There has GOT to be a hack out there somewhere for RTV.
    I can't believe millions of people will tolerate paying to do what their
    VCR could do for free. Oooh, a stupid guide, whoopie. Well, there's
    already one on the cable box, tvguide.com, and my Palm's SecondScreenTV.
    There's hacks for Xbox, PS2, PSP, and everything else under the sun.
    I can't believe hackers have somehow ignored RTV.
    It's NOT as good to use a tuner card and computer, because you have to
    leave it on all the time, and you have to have a way to ethernet it to
    each TV in the house. RTV is untouched on that.
    It also acts as a video capture card for DVD to replay to computer.
    Maybe most important, you don't have to have the TV next to the computer
    or watch on the computer.
    RCA's, Svid, etc. all lose signal for long 25-50' runs. Ethernet doesn't
    because it's digital.

    Come on guys, somebody out there's gotta know something on this?!

    Just a side note, the guy who worked in the store where I looked at a RTV
    said HE wouldn't even buy one because of the damn subscription! And he no
    doubt gets discounts!

    maybe if you actually saw the guide and the functionality it and the RTV
    provide, you wouldn't call us all a bunch of idiots for paying a "stupid"
    fee. Believe it or not, we're not dumb, and there's a lot of value there.
    That said, I'm finding $250 for a lifetime subscription too much for more
    than my original two units, so I pay the reduced monthly fee (6.95) for my
    third unit.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    <see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:20:46 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    > <douglas@panix.com> spewed:
    >
    > Just a side note, the guy who worked in the store where I looked at a RTV
    > said HE wouldn't even buy one because of the damn subscription! And he no
    > doubt gets discounts!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

    > I can't believe millions of people will tolerate paying to do what their
    > VCR could do for free.

    Ah, the old "it's just a fancy VCR" argument. You really should try one
    out to understand how it works.

    The interactive guide is the whole point of the unit. The value is in
    the integration of the recording/playback with the guide.

    My on-screen guide doesn't allow me to explore the shows interactively,
    find a show I like, and press one button to record it later. No
    translating that show into a channel, date, start time and end time.
    Find show, and press one button. And when the show gets moved an hour
    due to a football game it STILL records the right thing, because you're
    recording the show, not the time slot. Can a VCR do that?

    Can tvguide.com find all shows matching a category like "Auto racing"?
    Everything with Al Pacino it? Then record all of that automatically?
    It's all about the integration.

    That's why I dumped my VCR. The RTV much easier to record stuff, larger
    capacity, no rewinding or swapping tape, and you can watch while it
    records something else. It's not even close.

    > Just a side note, the guy who worked in the store where I looked at a RTV
    > said HE wouldn't even buy one because of the damn subscription! And he no
    > doubt gets discounts!

    I would never pay montly. Get a lifetime for $300. Could anyone build
    a dedicated PC to do that cheaper? It's not a lot of money for
    something that so many times more useful than the best VCR.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    One more "killer app" that a VCR cannot do: watch a show while it's
    still being recorded! We love sitting down 15 minutes after the hour to
    start watching a show from the beginning, skipping the commercials and
    finishing up at the top of the hour. We start watching 15 min later for
    the number of shows in a row. Example; if there are 3 shows in a row we
    want to see we'll start watching 45 after the start of the 1st show and
    be done at the same time as if we had watched them live.
    Of course a VCR doesn't let you pause a "live" show when the phone
    rings or go back and replay a segment. It'll do that if you're watching
    a fully taped show but not when you're watching live.
    And of course, with 40 to 360 hours of disk space, you don't have to
    swap tapes or worry about running short.

    From:ST
    tringali@yahoo.com

    > see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    >
    >> I can't believe millions of people will tolerate paying to do what
    >> their VCR could do for free.
    >
    > Ah, the old "it's just a fancy VCR" argument. You really should try
    > one out to understand how it works.
    >
    > The interactive guide is the whole point of the unit. The value is in
    > the integration of the recording/playback with the guide.
    >
    > My on-screen guide doesn't allow me to explore the shows
    > interactively, find a show I like, and press one button to record it
    > later. No translating that show into a channel, date, start time and
    > end time. Find show, and press one button. And when the show gets
    > moved an hour due to a football game it STILL records the right
    > thing, because you're recording the show, not the time slot. Can a
    > VCR do that?
    > Can tvguide.com find all shows matching a category like "Auto racing"?
    > Everything with Al Pacino it? Then record all of that automatically?
    > It's all about the integration.
    >
    > That's why I dumped my VCR. The RTV much easier to record stuff,
    > larger capacity, no rewinding or swapping tape, and you can watch
    > while it records something else. It's not even close.
    >
    >> Just a side note, the guy who worked in the store where I looked at
    >> a RTV said HE wouldn't even buy one because of the damn
    >> subscription! And he no doubt gets discounts!
    >
    > I would never pay montly. Get a lifetime for $300. Could anyone
    > build a dedicated PC to do that cheaper? It's not a lot of money for
    > something that so many times more useful than the best VCR.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    You need an older rtv. The 3000 series does not require a subscription, and
    will do just what you need. They were only sold with a lifetime subscription
    originally.

    <aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >I am new to the subject of REPLAY TV. I have been using a VCR recorder
    > to record tv shows and am intrigued with the use of a hard disk drive
    > to use instead of tape. I notice that both REPLAY TV and TiVo units
    > are advertised with a "subscrition" service. Would it be possible to
    > use these units in the same manner as I use a VCR and simply set the
    > timer to program the time and tv channel for recording, OR, must I
    > positively buy a "subscription"?
    >
    > best, Aaron
    >
    > PS: are there other makers of products that record tv programs on hard
    > drives?

Ptv Replaytv TV Tivo