Tivo is slower

My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
I can find no info about this. Any ideas?
9 answers Last reply
More about tivo slower

    "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
    > That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
    > for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
    > I can find no info about this. Any ideas?

    Have you implemented the (unsupported) "30 second skip" backdoor? I've
    noticed when that unsupported feature is active, I have the same problem
    with slowness that others complain about. If the 30 second skip is not
    active, the interface is zippy.

    Rather than give up the 30 second skip, I'll live with the slowness!

    In article <syFMe.6787$rc6.2124@fe03.lga>,
    J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote:

    > My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
    > That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
    > for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
    > I can find no info about this. Any ideas?

    As the machine gets filled up with programs it will run a tad slower.
    Sometimes a restart helps.

    Jack Zwick wrote:
    > In article <syFMe.6787$rc6.2124@fe03.lga>,
    > J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
    >>That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
    >>for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
    >>I can find no info about this. Any ideas?
    >

    > As the machine gets filled up with programs it will run a tad slower.
    > Sometimes a restart helps.

    Well, I thought of that. Deleted all programs except for 4 hours on an
    80Hr DVr. Still slow.

    J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com> writes:

    > My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
    > That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
    > for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
    > I can find no info about this. Any ideas?

    This has been widely experienced since the upgrade to 7.x
    software. There are plenty of people complaining about it on the
    Tivo Community bulletin boards, so I can't imagine Tivo doesn't
    know about it.

    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

    Darrell

    In article <jMJMe.36070$_41.21089@fe02.lga>,
    J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Jack Zwick wrote:
    > > In article <syFMe.6787$rc6.2124@fe03.lga>,
    > > J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
    > >>That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
    > >>for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
    > >>I can find no info about this. Any ideas?
    > >

    > > As the machine gets filled up with programs it will run a tad slower.
    > > Sometimes a restart helps.
    >
    > Well, I thought of that. Deleted all programs except for 4 hours on an
    > 80Hr DVr. Still slow.

    An excessive number of Wish Lists or season passes can also slow things
    down.

    Joe Kaffe wrote:
    > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
    >>That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
    >>for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
    >>I can find no info about this. Any ideas?
    >

    > Have you implemented the (unsupported) "30 second skip" backdoor? I've
    > noticed when that unsupported feature is active, I have the same problem
    > with slowness that others complain about. If the 30 second skip is not
    > active, the interface is zippy.
    >
    > Rather than give up the 30 second skip, I'll live with the slowness!

    Tried the 30 second skip. My wife loved it but for some reason it often
    disappears. Not currently implemented.

    > Joe Kaffe wrote:
    >> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
    >>>That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
    >>>for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
    >>>I can find no info about this. Any ideas?
    >>

    >> Have you implemented the (unsupported) "30 second skip" backdoor? I've
    >> noticed when that unsupported feature is active, I have the same problem
    >> with slowness that others complain about. If the 30 second skip is not
    >> active, the interface is zippy.
    >>
    >> Rather than give up the 30 second skip, I'll live with the slowness!
    >>

    > Tried the 30 second skip. My wife loved it but for some reason it often
    > disappears. Not currently implemented.

    Disappears everytime the TiVo reboots.

    Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > An excessive number of Wish Lists or season passes can also slow things
    > down.

    Very true. If I have more than 30-35 season passes it does slow it down.
    Currently I have 42 :( I guess it has to search for recoding conflicts first.

    ~~Phil~~

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    > Jack Zwick wrote:
    > > In article <syFMe.6787$rc6.2124@fe03.lga>,
    > > J Lunis <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>My wife has recently started complainng of Tivo being slower.
    > >>That is, when she selects GUIDE or TIVO CENTRAL it takes a few seconds
    > >>for the display as opposed to nearly immediately a few months ago.
    > >>I can find no info about this. Any ideas?
    > >

    > > As the machine gets filled up with programs it will run a tad slower.
    > > Sometimes a restart helps.
    >
    > Well, I thought of that. Deleted all programs except for 4 hours on an
    > 80Hr DVr. Still slow.
    Did the slow responsiveness happen about the time you machine was updated to
    ver 7.1 software? Mine sure did. Later I got 7.1b, not much better. So
    bothersome, I continue using my Series 1.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video Displays