Showstopper and Cell Phone?

Without going into excrutiating detail, I'm having a running battle with
my local phone company and would love to drop them like a bad habit.
The only reason I even have a landline phone is so that my two
Showstoppers can dial in every night for the latest listings.

Is there any way to accomplish the daily/nightly Showstopper download
using a cell phone?

Thanks!
12 answers Last reply
More about showstopper cell phone

    Depends on the cell phone.. Sony/Ericcson used to make one that would do
    it (The I-888 and it's CDMA/TDMA relatives) However that is very old
    hardware.

    You can also rig a computer, fake a Centeral office, and make the
    computer serve up the connection. I have done this in the past using
    much older computer hardware but am not sure if I could do it with
    today's hardware. Others likely have the software to do it.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    If you're carrier allows CSD (Circuit Switched Data) connections you
    could probably do it.

    From:BRH
    BRH

    BruceR wrote:
    > If you're carrier allows CSD (Circuit Switched Data) connections you
    > could probably do it.
    >
    > From:BRH
    > BRH
    >

    >>Without going into excrutiating detail, I'm having a running battle
    >> with my local phone company and would love to drop them like a bad
    >>habit. The only reason I even have a landline phone is so that my two
    >>Showstoppers can dial in every night for the latest listings.
    >>
    >>Is there any way to accomplish the daily/nightly Showstopper download
    >>using a cell phone?
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    Could you elaborate on what you mean by Circuit Switched Data?

    My carrier is Verizon Wireless. What kind of additional hardware would
    I need and how would I go about making the connection?

    Thanks!

    Tell them you want to send and receive faxes and see what they offer.
    Usually, sending modem data over a cell phone is not possible. The phone
    itself is plugged into a computer and becomes the modem. If you had an
    analog phone, it would work fine, but digital phones will not pass modem
    data, just DTMF tones.

    They make it that way so they can charge you for "Data" services.

    CW

    <BRH> wrote in message
    > BruceR wrote:
    >> If you're carrier allows CSD (Circuit Switched Data) connections you
    >> could probably do it.
    >>
    >> From:BRH
    >> BRH
    >>

    >>>Without going into excrutiating detail, I'm having a running battle
    >>> with my local phone company and would love to drop them like a bad
    >>>habit. The only reason I even have a landline phone is so that my two
    >>>Showstoppers can dial in every night for the latest listings.
    >>>
    >>>Is there any way to accomplish the daily/nightly Showstopper download
    >>>using a cell phone?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>

    > Could you elaborate on what you mean by Circuit Switched Data?
    >
    > My carrier is Verizon Wireless. What kind of additional hardware would I
    > need and how would I go about making the connection?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Depends on your phone. I'm not too familiar with VZW's capabilities but
    you might want to talk to their tech support people for more details. I
    can use my TMobile as a modem for my laptop if I have to.

    From:BRH
    BRH

    > BruceR wrote:
    >> If you're carrier allows CSD (Circuit Switched Data) connections you
    >> could probably do it.
    >>
    >> From:BRH
    >> BRH
    >>

    >>> Without going into excrutiating detail, I'm having a running battle
    >>> with my local phone company and would love to drop them like a bad
    >>> habit. The only reason I even have a landline phone is so that my
    >>> two Showstoppers can dial in every night for the latest listings.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to accomplish the daily/nightly Showstopper
    >>> download using a cell phone?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>

    > Could you elaborate on what you mean by Circuit Switched Data?
    >
    > My carrier is Verizon Wireless. What kind of additional hardware
    > would I need and how would I go about making the connection?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I can't imagine it would be convenient having to plug in your cell phone
    every night. Here's an option worth exploring: drop your phone service
    but leave the phone. If it's anything like I remember, you still can
    make outbound 911 and 1-800 calls. Then go buy a pay-per-use ISP card
    and dial into that.

    Vorizon has one of the best cellular internet packages on the market,
    They have faster connections (approaching DSL in some markets) and more
    coverage than any other provider, I may have to contract with them for
    data when I go full time mobile,,, IF I don't just use a sattalite.

    However the ability to use the phone with an EXTERNAL dial up modem is
    entierly dependent on the phone, not the provider, it's all in the phone

    Or, as I mentioned befor, you can set up a fake CO, (Basically it's
    nothing more than a battery/DC power supply and a resistor) hook the
    Showstopper modem to the computer's modem, and cause the computer to
    "Share the connection" between it's modem and the USB port "Modem" (The
    later modem being your cell phone) This too should work.

    However I'd truly suggest manual connection if using this system

    The trick is getting the computer to "Answer".

    Of course some places sell "personal CO's" which make faking a co much
    easier, Alas, I don't know any of them but they do exist, but these
    devices will provide a genuine ringing signal to the computer's modem so
    it knows it needs to pick up. (Proper name may be PBX)

    Doing this manually means you can hook everything up, set up the
    computer, instruct the Showstoper to do it's connect and then press the
    last key/button to get the computer to "pick up" and establish the
    computer/showstopper connection.

    Personally, I like the phone as a phone line option better, But as I
    said, that's harder to find

    --

    John in Detroit wrote:
    > Vorizon has one of the best cellular internet packages on the market,
    > They have faster connections (approaching DSL in some markets) and more
    > coverage than any other provider, I may have to contract with them for
    > data when I go full time mobile,,, IF I don't just use a sattalite.
    >
    > However the ability to use the phone with an EXTERNAL dial up modem is
    > entierly dependent on the phone, not the provider, it's all in the phone
    >
    > Or, as I mentioned befor, you can set up a fake CO, (Basically it's
    > nothing more than a battery/DC power supply and a resistor) hook the
    > Showstopper modem to the computer's modem, and cause the computer to
    > "Share the connection" between it's modem and the USB port "Modem" (The
    > later modem being your cell phone) This too should work.
    >
    > However I'd truly suggest manual connection if using this system
    >
    > The trick is getting the computer to "Answer".
    >
    > Of course some places sell "personal CO's" which make faking a co much
    > easier, Alas, I don't know any of them but they do exist, but these
    > devices will provide a genuine ringing signal to the computer's modem so
    > it knows it needs to pick up. (Proper name may be PBX)
    >
    > Doing this manually means you can hook everything up, set up the
    > computer, instruct the Showstoper to do it's connect and then press the
    > last key/button to get the computer to "pick up" and establish the
    > computer/showstopper connection.
    >
    > Personally, I like the phone as a phone line option better, But as I
    > said, that's harder to find
    >

    > BRH wrote:
    >
    >> BruceR wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you're carrier allows CSD (Circuit Switched Data) connections you
    >>> could probably do it.
    >>>
    >>> From:BRH
    >>> BRH

    >> Could you elaborate on what you mean by Circuit Switched Data?
    >>
    >> My carrier is Verizon Wireless. What kind of additional hardware
    >> would I need and how would I go about making the connection?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    Unfortunately, my computer and Showstopper are in two different rooms.
    I was hoping that there might be some hardware device to basically
    cradle the cellphone into that the Showstopper connects to. Something
    that wouldn't involve the computer at all. (I don't have a laptop.)

    I'd even consider changing my cellphone if such a device existed. I'm
    just so fed up with the both Verizon and their local competitor
    (Cavalier) that I've been using.

    Thanks!

    BRH wrote:

    > Unfortunately, my computer and Showstopper are in two different rooms. I
    > was hoping that there might be some hardware device to basically cradle
    > the cellphone into that the Showstopper connects to. Something that
    > wouldn't involve the computer at all. (I don't have a laptop.)
    >
    > I'd even consider changing my cellphone if such a device existed. I'm
    > just so fed up with the both Verizon and their local competitor
    > (Cavalier) that I've been using.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Well, as I said, they used to make cell phones which had an RJ-11
    adapter that took a standard modem line, I don't know how it did it but
    I used to use one.. Turns out the phone itself was a POS and I finally
    replaced it with a Nokia, which works well.

    However I never used that feature. There is no reason it can not work

    There are adapters that allow you to connect a standard phone to a cell
    phone however they say "not for data" on them... I truly do not know if
    they will work or not (might at lower speeds, say 9600 or 4800)

    If you use the computer as interface trick, you need only run phone
    cable, and you likely already have that in place

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Take a look at the devices from Telular. I used to have one of these
    (an older model) on the Verizon CDMA network and it would pass analog
    fax. It should work for you but PLEASE check with Telular. The device
    basically has an internal cell phone and outputs dial tone on a standard
    RJ-11 jack. You pickup and dial as usual on whatever phone is connected
    to the unit and it places the call on the cellular network
    automatically. Heck, if you wanted, you could tie all of your corded
    phones in the house to this thing. It would basically become your new
    dial tone provider.

    http://www.telular.com/products/product_display.asp?productID=88

    BRH wrote:
    > Without going into excrutiating detail, I'm having a running battle with
    > my local phone company and would love to drop them like a bad habit.
    > The only reason I even have a landline phone is so that my two
    > Showstoppers can dial in every night for the latest listings.
    >
    > Is there any way to accomplish the daily/nightly Showstopper download
    > using a cell phone?
    >
    > Thanks!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Another alternative is VOIP. My showstopper connects nightly with
    sunrocket.com
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    rufus wrote:
    > Another alternative is VOIP. My showstopper connects nightly with
    > sunrocket.com

    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it's not available yet in my area.

Ptv Replaytv Cell Phones Phones