Update: GPU's are making the sound | GA 990-FXA UD5 Rev. 3.0 - Coil whine coming from around the socket?

l33t_w4rr10r

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
Update: It turned out that the GPU's are making the noice. Check my 4th post for the update.
---------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

I would like to say how happy I am that there's a place like this. I've been reading and learning a lot in this forum. However, I guess the time came and for me to ask for help.

So, my system is as follows:

AMD FX-6300 (not clocked)
GA FXA-990 UD-5 rev. 3.0 with BIOS version FB
4x2 GB DDR3 A-DATA 1333Mhz
2 x Sapphire Radeon R9 270 - Crossfire (1st slot is 16x and 3rd slot is 4x, the cards are in these slots).
Corsair RM850

Win 7 64 bit.

Whenever I play a more CPU intensive game, the coil whine from inside the PC becomes unbearable. In less CPU intensive games the sound still exists, but it's silent. Beside in games, the sound does not exist.

For example, Watch Dogs. I play it with almost everything on Ultra, so after prolonged playing the sound gets really strong, the stuttering augments in such a way, so that I can hear that this "clicking" sound starts to match the FPS's. Example - the game locks up for 1,5 seconds - the sound is gone for that period, then the game unlocks and it starts again while matching these first "stuttery" FPS's after the unfreezing. The coil whine is not coming from the GPU's, it's not like a GPU coil whine + also I've switched the GPU's, and the whine is coming from area around the 1st PCi-e 16x slot and the chipset.

I have never touched anything is BIOS and have never overclocked the CPU, but I've mined alt. cryptocurrencies for 4/5 months with this motherboard and it had to feed 3x R9 270's. When I used this motherboard for mining, I've heard the slight coil whining from the GPU's (which is normal, they were running @ 1150/1500 clocks), but nothing like the clicking now, which comes from the motherboard's chipset when I push it to the limit with some new gen. game.

To help you better understand my problem, I made a video of the sound:
https://vimeo.com/101800544

Listen for the clicking sound that is coming from somewhere near the chipset heat sink / 1st PCi-e 16x area.

I'll be really happy if you guys could help me out with this problem.

P.S. : Everything is still in warranty, so if it's better to RMA it, say it.

Thank you!

l33t_w4rr10r

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
Just to give heads-up. After a throughout testing, it turned out to be the graphics cards. A couple of friends of mine who're in the PC hardware business told me that this sound is normal for the new powerful GPU's when they're under heavy load. What's your opinion on that, guys?

I'm thinking to try and RMA them. What are my chances in this case? My friends told me that it's close to 0%, because the sound isn't that strong.

P.S. Since the GPU's are the question, can a moderator please move the thread to the GPU sub-forum?

Thanks.

numanator

Honorable
The RMA chance is not 0% for coil whine but it may not be worth the hassle of the RMA +shipping if you have to pay it. If it is still in the return window it might be easier to get an exchange from the seller rather than Sapphire.

No real reason to move the thread again, systems forum covers this sort of issue too. Added GPU tag.