Cable and Tivo DVR

I now have two DTV DVR's and one standalone Tivo DVR but I am considering moving to cable and dropping Direct TV. My
question is, can I still use any of the Tivo boxes to record cable and not Satellite ?Will my lifetime subscription to
Tivo expire if I do this ?
28 answers Last reply
More about cable tivo dvr

    "HowdyDoody" <howdy@doody.com> wrote in message
    >I now have two DTV DVR's and one standalone Tivo DVR but I am considering
    >moving to cable and dropping Direct TV. My
    > question is, can I still use any of the Tivo boxes to record cable and not
    > Satellite ?Will my lifetime subscription to
    > Tivo expire if I do this ?

    Your standalone TiVo will be fine, just need to re-run guided setup. Your
    DirecTiVos will be of no use.

    Your lifetime subscription on the standalone will be fine.

    In article <7e39g1tfu70e2ena4o4fer8dfo60d1volf@4ax.com>,
    HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote:

    > I now have two DTV DVR's and one standalone Tivo DVR but I am considering
    > moving to cable and dropping Direct TV. My
    > question is, can I still use any of the Tivo boxes to record cable and not
    > Satellite ?Will my lifetime subscription to
    > Tivo expire if I do this ?

    Your lifetime subscription (I assume its to the Standalone) will still
    be in force.

    Most folks are switching from inferior cable to superior DirecTv. You're
    bucking the trend.

    Only reason I considered switching was that a friend had done the switch, and he seemed to suggest that the pictyre
    quality was better on cable. I really have no way of knowing.. I am having a house built, and am allowed 10 cable
    outlets per plan, so it also seemed easier to do cable than directv. Or, can I get Directv and use the connections that
    will be set up for cable, are they compatible ?

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:34:19 -0500, HowdyDoody wrote:

    > I am considering moving to cable and dropping Direct TV.

    Just curious why? My brother just switched form cable to dishnetwork and
    he says the picture is better and the cost is a lot cheaper.

    > Only reason I considered switching was that a friend had done the switch,
    > and he seemed to suggest that the pictyre
    > quality was better on cable. I really have no way of knowing.. I am having
    > a house built, and am allowed 10 cable
    > outlets per plan, so it also seemed easier to do cable than directv. Or,
    > can I get Directv and use the connections that
    > will be set up for cable, are they compatible ?

    Who is better, cable or DirecTV (or DiSH) varies from cable company to cable
    company. There is no blanket "one is better than the other". In my area,
    cable is also better than DirecTV, but I stick with DirecTV cause my cable
    companies DVR is a piece of garbage.

    All new houses are being wired with RG-6, so that is fine for satellite
    usage. I would just suggest that you have them drop 2 coaxs per outlet so
    that if you do decide to go satellite, you can utilize a dual tuner box.
    It's real cheap to add extra wires while the walls are open.

    Also, all coax lines should be home run to a central location like the
    garage, basement or a utility closet.

    In article <7e39g1tfu70e2ena4o4fer8dfo60d1volf@4ax.com>,
    HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote:
    >Will my lifetime subscription to Tivo expire if I do this ?

    If you are one of the people grandfathered into the DirecTV/Tivo lifetime
    subscription (no longer offered), that will go away when you cancel your
    DirecTV subscription. (That is, it is attached to the account, NOT to the
    Tivo like it is for the standalones.)
    --
    mattack@gmail.com

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:34:19 -0500, HowdyDoody wrote:
    >

    >>I am considering moving to cable and dropping Direct TV.
    >

    > Just curious why? My brother just switched form cable to dishnetwork and
    > he says the picture is better and the cost is a lot cheaper.

    In all seriousness, Seth hit the nail on the nose here. It's just not
    possible to make a blanket Satellite is better than Cable argument (or
    vice versa) because the cable companies' quality varies so much, both
    between companies and between areas. Some areas have *awesome* cable
    infrastructure and more than enough bandwidth for everyone, plus they
    don't try to skimp, and offer quality service (don't laugh, it
    happens!). Others still offer nothing but analog service with outages
    as least once a week.

    The truth is that with decent infrastructure, Cable ought to be able to
    stomp all over Satellite. They've got vastly more available bandwidth
    to work with, and so *should* be able to provide better picture and more
    features, plus much more responsive 2-way features once they start
    providing that (like VOD, games, etc). But the sad reality is that
    they've (the cable companies) have had it so easy for long as an
    unregulated monopoly, that they haven't had any reason to do so, so the
    vast majority has dragged their heels on upgrades, skimped on customer
    service, and basically took the easy way out. They're now finally
    starting to upgrade some (my cable internet service went from 1.5 Mbps
    down/128 Kpbs up to 4 Mbps down/512 Kbps up in 1 yr w/ *no* fee
    increase) due to increased competition from Satellite (which is one
    reason I'm always pulling for them) and DSL (especially with the new
    pilot fiber to the curb deployments).

    One of these days there will be direct competition between the phone
    companies and the cable companies as they're really is no functional
    difference between the services that they can provide. But first we'll
    have a dozen (or more) years of them pulling every rotten regulation
    trick in the book in order to protect their respective cash cows so they
    can keep raking in cash with no effort.

    But no, I'm not bitter, not at all :-(

    Speaking of which, does anybody know anyone who's tried the new Wildblue
    satellite service? I know several folks (including my Father) outside
    of cable and DSL range, and they can't even get 56K speeds (26.4 Kbps at
    best). Wildblue still isn't cheap ($50 per month, $300 equipment, $150
    setup all for 512/128 service), but it's way cheaper then existing sat
    service. They don't offer it in this area yet.

    Randy S.

    In article <de39s5$18ui$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
    Randy S. <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >Others still offer nothing but analog service ...

    That's funny, I consider that an advantage. I'm not sure if you're anti-
    analog service, or just the analog services that have outages.

    We had a bad signal on some stations for a while, but finally complained,
    especially since the cable modem was also going out sporadically. (I was much
    lazier than I would have been during the main season with more first run
    shows I wanted.) They've since fixed that and I actually now get a better
    analog signal than I ever have.

    I just like the ability for my Tivos and other devices to tune directly
    with no box.

    When the Tivo software comes out for the Comcast DVR, I'll likely try it out,
    since the dual tuner feature is a great plus for me. But there isn't much
    on digital that I'd be willing to pay for. (For years and years and years,
    I was an HBO subscriber with _no box_. That was awesome. I'd probably still
    subscribe to HBO if I could get it without a box.)

    >...with outages as least once a week.

    That was the rest of your sentence, to be clear.

    >But the sad reality is that they've (the cable companies) have had it so easy
    >for long as an unregulated monopoly,

    They're not unregulated, at least not in the entire country. Some cities
    switch cable companies every few years.

    >One of these days there will be direct competition between the phone
    >companies and the cable companies as they're really is no functional
    >difference between the services that they can provide.

    Well, today there was news about SBC picking companies to make their DVR
    boxes. I presume you'll only be able to use their box, not have any way to
    decode a plethora of channels onto a regular analog cable to use existing
    Tivos.

    >Speaking of which, does anybody know anyone who's tried the new Wildblue
    >satellite service? I know several folks (including my Father) outside
    >of cable and DSL range, and they can't even get 56K speeds (26.4 Kbps at
    >best). Wildblue still isn't cheap ($50 per month, $300 equipment, $150
    >setup all for 512/128 service), but it's way cheaper then existing sat
    >service. They don't offer it in this area yet.

    Wow, that's expensive, compared to SBC's $14.95/month for a year for DSL.
    But my house can't get it.
    --
    mattack@gmail.com

    In article <f3l9g11pjihpq91miepsvh77b2q13rieta@4ax.com>,
    HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote:

    > Only reason I considered switching was that a friend had done the switch, and
    > he seemed to suggest that the pictyre
    > quality was better on cable. I really have no way of knowing.. I am having a
    > house built, and am allowed 10 cable
    > outlets per plan, so it also seemed easier to do cable than directv. Or, can
    > I get Directv and use the connections that
    > will be set up for cable, are they compatible ?

    Yes, when I switched from Cable to DirecTv 8 years ago I reversed the
    Cable wiring to distribute the DirecTv signal to other rooms.

    On 2005-08-19, HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote:

    >What do you mean you "reversed the cable wiring to distribute the
    >Direcctv signal " ?

    Take where the cable goes into the house, unscrew it from the cable going
    to the pole and screw it into the cable going to the satellite.

    That's what I did too. Used the cable the cable company previously routed
    in the house and just plugged it into the DirecTV dish.

    mattack@gmail.com wrote in news:de3i36$6j6$1@vax.hanford.org:

    > In article <de39s5$18ui$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
    > Randy S. <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Speaking of which, does anybody know anyone who's tried the new Wildblue
    >>satellite service? I know several folks (including my Father) outside
    >>of cable and DSL range, and they can't even get 56K speeds (26.4 Kbps at
    >>best). Wildblue still isn't cheap ($50 per month, $300 equipment, $150
    >>setup all for 512/128 service), but it's way cheaper then existing sat
    >>service. They don't offer it in this area yet.
    >
    > Wow, that's expensive, compared to SBC's $14.95/month for a year for
    > DSL. But my house can't get it.

    It's also expensive compared to a pack of chewing gum.

    Which has nothing to do with anything, of course...but makes as much sense
    as comparing it to a product already defined as unavailable in the area.

    If Cable and/or DSL are not available, then it really doesn't matter how
    much cheaper or faster they are, does it? I imagine that's pretty much
    Wildblue's business model. Serve the areas cable and dsl don't/won't,
    charge heavily for it.

    > It's also expensive compared to a pack of chewing gum.
    >
    > Which has nothing to do with anything, of course...but makes as much sense
    > as comparing it to a product already defined as unavailable in the area.
    >
    > If Cable and/or DSL are not available, then it really doesn't matter how
    > much cheaper or faster they are, does it? I imagine that's pretty much
    > Wildblue's business model. Serve the areas cable and dsl don't/won't,
    > charge heavily for it.

    True, though other existing sat companies are charging even more. I
    wish fixed base wireless would hurry up and get here. WiMAX or whatever
    technology they might end up using would solve the problem nicely, at
    least here in Florida where we don't have any mountains to get in the way.

    Randy S.

    mattack@gmail.com wrote:
    > In article <de39s5$18ui$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
    > Randy S. <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Others still offer nothing but analog service ...
    >

    > That's funny, I consider that an advantage. I'm not sure if you're anti-
    > analog service, or just the analog services that have outages.

    Digital quality is better than analog, I think you'd have a hard time
    disputing that, as long as you don't try to bundle in other factors.

    > We had a bad signal on some stations for a while, but finally complained,
    > especially since the cable modem was also going out sporadically. (I was much
    > lazier than I would have been during the main season with more first run
    > shows I wanted.) They've since fixed that and I actually now get a better
    > analog signal than I ever have.

    Well, that's good I suppose, but one of the benefits of digital is the
    error correcting. You basically get a perfect signal or none at all.

    > I just like the ability for my Tivos and other devices to tune directly
    > with no box.

    Ahh, now *that's* a different issue. Yes the fact that an SA Tivo can
    directly tune analog cable stations is an advantage for now. One that
    will hopefully no longer be one, once cablecard 2.0 is stabilized and
    Tivo can release a compatible unit. But that really has nothing to do
    with picture "quality", does it?

    > When the Tivo software comes out for the Comcast DVR, I'll likely try it out,
    > since the dual tuner feature is a great plus for me. But there isn't much
    > on digital that I'd be willing to pay for. (For years and years and years,
    > I was an HBO subscriber with _no box_. That was awesome. I'd probably still
    > subscribe to HBO if I could get it without a box.)

    An integrated Tivo receuver (like the Directivo) would solve this issue,
    as would a cablecard compatible unit. Either would be better than the
    status quo.

    >>But the sad reality is that they've (the cable companies) have had it so easy
    >>for long as an unregulated monopoly,
    >

    > They're not unregulated, at least not in the entire country. Some cities
    > switch cable companies every few years.

    What does that have to do with being regulated? The cable industry was
    deregulated in 1996 (see
    http://uspirg.org/uspirg.asp?id2=10531&id3=USPIRG& ). Cities can switch
    companies if they want but there's a lot of inertia involved, plus the
    reasons for the local government to choose a cable provider is not the
    same as how a single consumer would decide. Since cable was only
    relatively recently deregulated, it is fairly easy to contrast the
    deregulated industry vs. the regulated one, and the degulated industry
    doesn't compare well.

    >>One of these days there will be direct competition between the phone
    >>companies and the cable companies as they're really is no functional
    >>difference between the services that they can provide.
    >

    > Well, today there was news about SBC picking companies to make their DVR
    > boxes. I presume you'll only be able to use their box, not have any way to
    > decode a plethora of channels onto a regular analog cable to use existing
    > Tivos.

    Who know, this is *really* early speculation. Maybe they'll standardize
    early on, the way cable standardized on DOCSIS cable modems (yes, it
    still took a bit for that to settle out). But I'd guess you're probably
    correct, at least at first.

    >>Speaking of which, does anybody know anyone who's tried the new Wildblue
    >>satellite service? I know several folks (including my Father) outside
    >>of cable and DSL range, and they can't even get 56K speeds (26.4 Kbps at
    >>best). Wildblue still isn't cheap ($50 per month, $300 equipment, $150
    >>setup all for 512/128 service), but it's way cheaper then existing sat
    >>service. They don't offer it in this area yet.
    >

    > Wow, that's expensive, compared to SBC's $14.95/month for a year for DSL.
    > But my house can't get it.

    Yep, Sat's expensive. That's why only people who can't get cable or DSL
    usually consider it.

    Randy S.

    In article <11gammbaus8jm3a@corp.supernews.com>,
    Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On 2005-08-19, HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >What do you mean you "reversed the cable wiring to distribute the
    > >Direcctv signal " ?
    >
    > Take where the cable goes into the house, unscrew it from the cable going
    > to the pole and screw it into the cable going to the satellite.
    >
    > That's what I did too. Used the cable the cable company previously routed
    > in the house and just plugged it into the DirecTV dish.

    I took the line from the cable splitter to the TV, and made it from
    DirecTv to the splitter, leaving the splits to the bedrooms in place.

    "HowdyDoody" <howdy@doody.com> wrote in message
    >I now have two DTV DVR's and one standalone Tivo DVR but I am considering
    >moving to cable and dropping Direct TV. My
    > question is, can I still use any of the Tivo boxes to record cable and not
    > Satellite ?Will my lifetime subscription to
    > Tivo expire if I do this ?

    I'm considering changing to cable as well. I had analog cable a few years
    ago and got fed up with the poor reception and switched to DirecTV. I love
    it but..... I'm tired of the signal going out whenever it rains. I'm
    considering going to digital cable for that reason. I'm asking friends and
    neighbors now to see if I can get some first-hand info on experiences with
    digital cable but I'll ask here as well. I realize that service is
    dependent on the local provider and that varies widely. However, in
    general, do you think that digital cable tends to deliver and maintain a
    quality signal (even during rain, hot/cold weather, etc) better than
    satelite reception? For the most part I've had great service and the
    outages are not the fault of DirecTV, it is just due to the method of
    reception. I'm wondering if digital cable is capable of providing better
    service. Comcast would be the cable provider in my area. Thanks.

    "mad NATer" <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > I'm considering changing to cable as well. I had analog cable a few years
    > ago and got fed up with the poor reception and switched to DirecTV. I love
    > it but..... I'm tired of the signal going out whenever it rains. I'm

    If your signal goes out "whenever it rains" then the problem is on your end.
    Either your dish isn't properly aligned or your connectors are loose and
    getting moisture in them.

    In article <_PtNe.5020$j21.2227@news01.roc.ny>, Seth
    <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "mad NATer" <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I'm considering changing to cable as well. I had analog cable a few years
    > > ago and got fed up with the poor reception and switched to DirecTV. I love
    > > it but..... I'm tired of the signal going out whenever it rains. I'm
    >
    > If your signal goes out "whenever it rains" then the problem is on your end.
    > Either your dish isn't properly aligned or your connectors are loose and
    > getting moisture in them.

    Agreed. Also, my local cable is out for a substantial period of time
    -- several hours or longer -- about once every three weeks, according
    to my neighbor who still has cable.

    I expect that this is the case generally around here. An astonishing
    number of dishes has sprung up around my neighborhood (most
    single-family homes with a sprinkling of townhouses) since last
    Christmas.

    Your stand alone TiVo will work with cable, digital cable satellite and
    broadcast. The Directivo will only work with direct tv. If you live in
    comcast area, they will have Tivo with HM.
    Your lifetime sub goes with the SA box.
    "HowdyDoody" <howdy@doody.com> wrote in message
    >I now have two DTV DVR's and one standalone Tivo DVR but I am considering
    >moving to cable and dropping Direct TV. My
    > question is, can I still use any of the Tivo boxes to record cable and not
    > Satellite ?Will my lifetime subscription to
    > Tivo expire if I do this ?

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:06:27 -0400, "Dr. Personality"
    <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote:

    >In article <_PtNe.5020$j21.2227@news01.roc.ny>, Seth
    ><seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "mad NATer" <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I'm considering changing to cable as well. I had analog cable a few years
    >> > ago and got fed up with the poor reception and switched to DirecTV. I love
    >> > it but..... I'm tired of the signal going out whenever it rains. I'm
    >>
    >> If your signal goes out "whenever it rains" then the problem is on your end.
    >> Either your dish isn't properly aligned or your connectors are loose and
    >> getting moisture in them.
    >

    >Agreed. Also, my local cable is out for a substantial period of time
    >-- several hours or longer -- about once every three weeks, according
    >to my neighbor who still has cable.
    >
    >I expect that this is the case generally around here. An astonishing
    >number of dishes has sprung up around my neighborhood (most
    >single-family homes with a sprinkling of townhouses) since last
    >Christmas.

    just remember that digital does not always mean better quality. My
    local cable company uses so much compression on the digital signal it
    is worse than analog. Also the last time my signal went out I called
    on a Wed to report the problem. They said it would be the next Tue
    before they could come to fix the problem. Once the cable company cut
    my cable while fixing the cable for across the street. It took a month
    for them to fix it that time, which was when I got Directv. Try
    calling your local cable company after 8pm and see what happens. In my
    area you get a recording to call back the next day. I tried to call
    about my bill on Sat. I got a message the billing department is only
    open M-F. I have had these problems with DirecTv,

    "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "mad NATer" <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm considering changing to cable as well. I had analog cable a few
    >> years ago and got fed up with the poor reception and switched to DirecTV.
    >> I love it but..... I'm tired of the signal going out whenever it rains.
    >> I'm
    >
    > If your signal goes out "whenever it rains" then the problem is on your
    > end. Either your dish isn't properly aligned or your connectors are loose
    > and getting moisture in them.

    Very dense cloud cover which precipitates heavy rain causes my reception to
    go out. Reception goes out a few minutes before the actual rain begins to
    fall at my house. If I happen to be watching TV, I can tell when the rain
    will come as its usually about 10min after the picture begins to pixilate
    and then the signal goes out completely. This doesn't happen with every
    storm.
    BTW, my Sat Signal percentage is 83%.

    > "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "mad NATer" <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I'm considering changing to cable as well. I had analog cable a few
    >>> years ago and got fed up with the poor reception and switched to
    >>> DirecTV. I love it but..... I'm tired of the signal going out whenever
    >>> it rains. I'm
    >>
    >> If your signal goes out "whenever it rains" then the problem is on your
    >> end. Either your dish isn't properly aligned or your connectors are loose
    >> and getting moisture in them.
    >>

    > Very dense cloud cover which precipitates heavy rain causes my reception
    > to go out. Reception goes out a few minutes before the actual rain begins
    > to fall at my house. If I happen to be watching TV, I can tell when the
    > rain will come as its usually about 10min after the picture begins to
    > pixilate and then the signal goes out completely. This doesn't happen
    > with every storm.
    > BTW, my Sat Signal percentage is 83%.

    That's still too many outages. Mine rarely goes out (like on the order of
    minutes per year). You should be able to have signal levels in the 90's
    with the spot beams at 99.

    mad NATer <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Very dense cloud cover which precipitates heavy rain causes my reception to
    > go out. Reception goes out a few minutes before the actual rain begins to

    It's not the heavy cloud cover at your house, it's the rain south of your
    house, on a path from the dish to the satellite.

    > BTW, my Sat Signal percentage is 83%.

    Your dish is probably misaligned. My signals are all above 90, and the
    transponders carrying the spot beam locals are at the top of the scale.

    --
    ---

    <dold@XReXXCable.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
    > mad NATer <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Very dense cloud cover which precipitates heavy rain causes my reception
    >> go out. Reception goes out a few minutes before the actual rain begins to
    >
    > It's not the heavy cloud cover at your house, it's the rain south of your
    > house, on a path from the dish to the satellite.

    Yes. You're probably right about that.

    >> BTW, my Sat Signal percentage is 83%.
    >
    > Your dish is probably misaligned. My signals are all above 90, and the
    > transponders carrying the spot beam locals are at the top of the scale.

    How do I get the receiver dish aligned properly? Call DirecTV? I don't
    really want to pay for a service call.

    On 2005-08-22, mad NATer <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote:
    ><dold@XReXXCable.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
    >> mad NATer <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> BTW, my Sat Signal percentage is 83%.
    >>
    >> Your dish is probably misaligned. My signals are all above 90, and the
    >> transponders carrying the spot beam locals are at the top of the scale.
    >
    > How do I get the receiver dish aligned properly? Call DirecTV? I don't
    > really want to pay for a service call.

    I agree with dold - all my signals are above 90 with many near the top.
    This makes a huge difference when weather comes a knocken.

    There are various ways to align your dish. Essentially, you just have to
    go out, loosen it up, change where it points, and see if that helps the
    reception and if so, tighten it back up. I think the easiest for an
    existing installation is to use two people - one down below talking about
    how the signal strength is and one on the dish changing it based on
    feedback from the one down below.

    The last time I installed a dish, I was alone and what I did was run an
    extension cord up to the dish and physically had a receiver and a
    hand-held tv (like a 5" one). I hooked the dish to the receiver to the tv
    so I had instant feedback on my dish alignment modifications (well, not
    instant since it takes a little bit of time for the output percentage to
    change based on your latest modification).

    Since your dish is already close, you won't have to go through the hardest
    part of the installation - that being finding the signal to begin with.
    You just need to do some slight tweaking to its alignment. Also, when
    you're done, make sure you tighten it up as well as you can (without
    changing where it points to) - don't want it loose up there.

    --
    This is my .sig

    In article <11gk7gsgvkmood6@corp.supernews.com>, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >On 2005-08-22, mad NATer <Mr.X@nospam.com> wrote:
    >><dold@XReXXCable.usenet.us.com> wrote in message

    >>> Your dish is probably misaligned. My signals are all above 90, and the
    >>> transponders carrying the spot beam locals are at the top of the scale.
    >>
    >> How do I get the receiver dish aligned properly? Call DirecTV? I don't
    >> really want to pay for a service call.
    >
    >I agree with dold - all my signals are above 90 with many near the top.
    >This makes a huge difference when weather comes a knocken.
    >
    >There are various ways to align your dish. Essentially, you just have to
    >go out, loosen it up, change where it points, and see if that helps the
    >reception and if so, tighten it back up. I think the easiest for an
    >existing installation is to use two people - one down below talking about
    >how the signal strength is and one on the dish changing it based on
    >feedback from the one down below.

    That works fine until you both get to the point where you are
    hyperglycemic (sp?) and start yelling at each other about how stupid
    you both are and the one on the roof gets frustrated and comes down for a
    beer!

    Easier way is to get on ebay and get one of those inline $4.99 signal strength
    meters and do it yerself!!!!!

    "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >Digital quality is better than analog, I think you'd have a hard time
    >disputing that, as long as you don't try to bundle in other factors.

    This is not always true. Sometimes the digital stations are
    over-compressed, then you get MPEG artifacts. Alternatively a really
    solid analog signal can look fantastic. MPEG is lossy compression,
    doesn't matter if it is MPEG2 or MPEG4. Plus with digital cable and
    TiVo you currently need a cable box and then an analog loop to the
    TiVo, with analog cable you just connect to the TiVo directly.

    All things digital are not inheretly superior to all things analog.

    >Well, that's good I suppose, but one of the benefits of digital is the
    >error correcting. You basically get a perfect signal or none at all.

    Again, not true. The error correcting used in the systems doesn't
    always restore dropped data, it can tolerate some. It isn't all or
    nothing, but if the error rate crosses a threshold, then it is
    nothing.

    -MZ
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    MegaZone wrote:
    > "Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >
    >>Digital quality is better than analog, I think you'd have a hard time
    >>disputing that, as long as you don't try to bundle in other factors.
    >

    > This is not always true. Sometimes the digital stations are
    > over-compressed, then you get MPEG artifacts. Alternatively a really
    > solid analog signal can look fantastic. MPEG is lossy compression,
    > doesn't matter if it is MPEG2 or MPEG4. Plus with digital cable and
    > TiVo you currently need a cable box and then an analog loop to the
    > TiVo, with analog cable you just connect to the TiVo directly.
    >
    > All things digital are not inheretly superior to all things analog.

    Ok, yes, you are absolutely correct. I suppose the more correct way of
    putting that is digital always has the *potential* of being better than
    analog as it doesn't suffer attenuation losses. However overcompression
    or low bit rate, etc can certainly make a digital signal subpar.

    >>Well, that's good I suppose, but one of the benefits of digital is the
    >>error correcting. You basically get a perfect signal or none at all.
    >

    > Again, not true. The error correcting used in the systems doesn't
    > always restore dropped data, it can tolerate some. It isn't all or
    > nothing, but if the error rate crosses a threshold, then it is
    > nothing.

    True, it's not really all or nothing. However in my experience the
    range of digital signal strength between a perfect picture and no signal
    is very small. Especially when compared to the equivalent range of an
    analog signal.

    Randy S.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Cable DVR